Jaroslaw - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Jaroslaw church of the Nativity of the B.V.M. constructed 1903. 9 mile.s .south-west of Yorkton; R.M. 244.
JAROSLAW — The church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the first church of the parish.
This church is one of the earliest churches and now the oldest existent church in the Eparchy of Saskatchewan. The church is nine miles south-west of Yorkton on a hilly and partially forested four acre site donated by Ivan Holovenko. It was constructed in 1903 by Stepan Borys and parish volunteers who also covered the construction costs of $2,500, cleared the land and beautified the church grounds. In 1911 the central dome was added. The church was repainted in 1911, 1915 and 1969. In 1913 Stepan Borys constructed an iconostas and effectively incorporated some previously acquired paintings. Episcopal visitations were made by Bishop Nicetas Budka who visited the parish on two occasions and blessed the church on August 9, 1913, Bishop Neil Savaryn on August 26, 1945, and Bishop Andrew Roborecki on June 7, 1953 and August 28, 1958.
The rectangular church, 32 x 18 feet, is constructed of wood. In the interior, a polygonal sanctuary with a south adjoining sacristy is separated from the nave by an iconostas and a low decorated fence. A choir loft, which is reached by a steep wooden stairway, extends over the entire width of the nave and is supported by two beams. The high ceiling is angulated and extends into a high central dome supported by a polygonal drum with two windows. Wooden pews seat approx. 30 persons. The church is heated with a cast iron stove and
light is provided by candles. The main entrance into the church is through an adjoining gabled porch; a second entrance is through the sacristy.
A belfry was constructed near the church in 1924;
the bell was purchased in 1915 for $100. The mission cross was installed in 1933. The parish cemetery is within the periphery of the church property.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1897 from the village of Vitlyn, Makovys'ka and Liashky in the Jaroslaw county. The founding members of this parish were: Pavlo Werchominka, Maxym Werchominka Teo-dor Dobko, Nykyta Dobko, And. Holoyukh, Ivan Protz, Iv. Holowka, Mykh. Holowka, N. Protzko, N. Wolo-siuk, N. Popowich and S. Abrametz. Although the church was built in 1903, the first Divine Liturgy was celebrated on May 7, 1905 by Rev. N. Kryzanowski, OSBM. (Prop. Knyha p. 222).
In 1941 there were 35 families and a total of 95 children (Prop. Knyha). In 1961 there were 50 souls (Directory), in 1967, 20 families and at present, 5 families remain who now attend the church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Yorkton (quest.). Originating from this area are Rev. John Holowka, and Sr. Lucia and Sr. Patricia of the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Jaroslaw, is under the pastoral charge of Yorkton