Church of St. John the Baptist constructed 1939, 5 miles west and 16 miles north of Hafford; R.M. 466.
ALTICANE— The church of St. John the Baptist is the second church of the parish.
The founding members of the parish constructed the first small wooden church in 1916. It was visited by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933. In 1939 the parishioners constructed the second church on a new site. Bishop Andrew Roborecki celebrated Divine Liturgy in this church on September 25, 1962.
The church is a wood constructed cruciform structure, 52 x 36 feet, with an architecturally complementing gable roof and a large central dome. The walls of the church are finished in narrow wood siding; the roof is shingled while the central dome has white sheet metal finishing and is apexed by a cupola and cross. The church is east-west oriented with a west main entrance through an adjoining porch which serves as a vestibule. The sanctuary with the main altar is in the eastern extension of the church and has two adjoining sacristies; the north sacristy has an exit to the church grounds. Behind the main altar, directly on the sanctuary wall, is a large church patron painting with a bordering painted frame. It was painted in 1940 by Peter Leskowski. The wall areas throughout the church contain holy images, framed glass Amounted oil prints which were donated by the faithful; the traditional nave paintings of the Holy Mother of God and Christ Who Loves Mankind have votive altars and are also glass mounted oil prints. The church has a choir loft reached by a stairway at the north wall of the nave, wooden pews seating approx. 80 persons, electrical lighting and central oil heating. The interior walls have narrow wood (v-joint) siding, the floor is wooden and partially carpeted. The ceiling is vaulted and extends into the large dome at the axis of the intersecting arms. The church was constructed by the faithful through their financial contributions and voluntary labour during the pastorate of Rev. Nestor Drohomyrecki. Chief Foreman of the construction was Wasyi (William) Koslowski. The church site was purchased from the CPR.Near the church stands a large wooden cross installed in 1946 in commemoration of the Holy Missions of the parish. Adjacent to it stands a post bell tower with a gable roof; it replaced the original belfry destroyed by a storm in 1942 and was installed at the time when Michael Kwas headed the parish executive. Across the road, a short distance from the church, stands the parish hall dating to 1934. The parish cemetery lies in continuation of the church grounds.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1907 predominantly from the Sokal county. The founding members of the parish were: Wasyi Ivanchyna, Ivan Koshliy, Wasyi Dubyk, Fed (Fred) Kossak, Mykhaylo Prokip, Petro Davidowich, Yuriy Bytskal, R. Nikiforuk, I. Sanchuk, Iv. Maskalyk, K. Zhovtok (Zowtok) and V. Bulitny. In 1941 the parish consisted of 26 members with 37 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961 there were 105 souls (Directory), in 1975, 12 families totalling approx. 30 persons were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Roman Homenko, pastor, Mike Bilanski, Joseph Semeniuk, Mike Wozniak, Mary Bilanski, Ann Wozniak, Peter Babey and Alex Hunchak.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. John the Baptist, Alticane, is under the pastoral charge of Hafford.
The Church of St. John the Baptist is located five miles east and two miles south of Mayfair on S.W. 1/4 – 13 – 46 – 11 W. of the 3rd Meridian in the R.M. of Meeting Lake No. 466. The church was constructed in 1939 when Father Nestor Drohomyrecki was the priest. The parish hall, located west of the church, was built in 1934. Since it required repairs, it was sold and a newer hall was purchased and moved to its site in 1976. The cemetery is located east of the church grounds. Following is a list of priests who served St. John the Baptist Church:
- 1939 -1945 – Father Nestor Drohomyrecki
- 1946 • 1947 – Father John Worona (originally from this parish)
- 1947 – 1950 – Father Myroslav Oleshko
- 1949 – 1956 – Father Myron Pylypchuk
- 1956 -1960 – Father Alexander Schesniuk
- 1960 – 1964 – Father Basil Osadec,
- 1964 -1965 – Father Rudolph Luzney,
- 1965 – 1969 – Father Volodymyr Flak
- 1969 -1971 – Father Stephen Adamiak
- 1972 -1974 – Father Robert Hubal
- 1975 – 1981 – Father Roman Homenko
- 1981 -1995 – Father Dominic Mazun
- 1995 – 2003 – Father Janko Kolosnjaji
The Ukrainian Catholic Parish of St. John the Baptist was under the pastoral charge of Hafford up until 1995 when this church was transferred to the pastoral charge of North Battleford. The present pastor is Father Janko Kolosnjaji.
Alticane St. John the Baptist Church
Alticane St. John the Baptist Church Cemetery
Bulletins for North Battleford and Hafford District Parishes
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Janow Corners-Meath Park
Telephone: 306-764-1410 Email: email@example.com
Telephone: 306-978-2230 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Adamivko (Rosthern Farms), Pentecost
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9