Church of the Assumption of the B.V.M. constructed 1923-1925, 4 miles north-west of Alvena; R.M. 402.
ALVENA (farms) — The church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the second church of the parish.
The first church was constructed in 1905 on a five acre site four miles north-west of Alvena. It was a small log constructed structure and served the parish until 1923. That year it was dismantled and a new church was constructed on its site. The present church was blessed by Bishop Nicetas Budka in 1925 and visited by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1929. On April 14, 1957, Rev. Walter Kostiuk was ordained in this church by Bishop Andrew Roborecki.
The church, constructed between 1923 and 1925, is a wooden cruciform structure measuring 80 x 60 feet. It has an architecturally complementing shingled gable roof, a large central octagonal dome apexed by a cupola and cross, and two front towers also apexed by cupolas. The exterior and interior walls of the church and the drum supporting the central dome are finished in painted narrow wood siding and contain rectangular windows which are arched at the top. A small separately roofed adjoining porch-vestibule precedes the main entrance into the church. In the interior the elevated sanctuary contains the main altar and has two adjoining sacristies which also exit to the church grounds. Behind the main altar and on corresponding sides of the sanctuary along the lateral walls of the nave are traditionally dedicated glass mounted oil prints. Directly opposite the main altar is the choir loft which is reached by a stairway in the nave. The central area of the church is dominated by the large well-illuminated dome, the arms of the cruciform structure have vaulted ceilings. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 150 persons, is lighted by electricity and has central oil heating.
Construction of the church was accomplished during the pastorate of Rev. Joseph Fylyma through the generous voluntary labour and financial donations of the parishioners. Total construction costs were $12,000. Chief foreman was Milko Slonetsky while the architectural plans were drafted by Rev. Peter Pasichnyk. The five acre partly forested church and cemetery site was donated by Andrew Hawryschuk.
Near the church stands a wooden belfry constructed in 1923. The wooden memorial cross nearby was installed during the pioneer days of the parish. In continuation of church property is the parish cemetery. A small chapel on the site was constructed by N. Chyzyk and contains a painting of the Holy Mother of God which the first settlers brought from their Motherland. Also on the parish site, a short distance from the church, stands the “Prosvita” parish hall constructed in 1932 during the pastorate of Rev. Stefan Semczuk.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1899 with settlers from the Borshchiv and Sokal counties. In 1910 the settlers of the Alvena district were honoured with a visit by the Servant of God Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky. The founding members of the Alvena farms parish were: N. Chyzyk, T. Kozak, D. Skakun, A. Hawryschuk, I. Kinash and S. Yuzek. The first pastor to visit the settlers was Rev. Wasyi Zholdak.
Between 1902 and 1905, Rev. Mathew Myron Filas, OSBM, founded a Basilian monastery in Alvena and for a short period the Basilian Fathers administered to the spiritual needs of the faithful in the district. The monastery was eventually transferred to Alberta; the monastery structure was purchased by the parishioners and was used as a rectory while the site became the parish cemetery. The second parish cemetery is at the church site one and one-half miles north. During the pastorate of Rev. Stephen Fedoronko, the monastery building was converted into a parish hall and was used as such until it was destroyed by fire.
In 1941 the parish registered 38 members with 100 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961 there were 35 families and in 1975, 17 families. In 2003 the parish is under the directorship of Rev. Vasyl Hnatkivskyy. Divine Liturgy is celebrated once a year.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Alvena farms, is under the pastoral charge of Cudworth.
Alvena Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church
Dormition MG Pioneer Cemetery
St Demetrius Cemetery
Bulletins for Cudworth - District Parishes
Cudworth and District Praznyks - 2017
|Location||Date - Calendar|
(Gregorian- G; Julian -J)
|Humboldt, All Saints||May 22 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Adamiwka, Pentecost||June 4 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Sokal, Holy Ghost||June 5 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Cudworth, Holy Eucharist||June 18 (G)||11:15 a.m.|
|Lanigan, Sacred Heart||June 28 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Wakaw, Sacred Heart of Jesus||July 8 - (J)||?|
|Tway, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 9 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Rosthern, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 16 (J)||11:15 a.m.|
|Carpenter (Hory) Ascension||August 11 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Alvena (Farms), Dormition BVM||August 28 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|St. Julien, Patronage BVM||October 14 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Alvena, Archangel Michael||November 21 (J)||10:00 a.m.|