Arran-Vesna church of Ss. Peter and Paul constructed 1961 near Arran; R.M. 301.
ARRAN – VESNA — The church of SS. Peter and Paul is the second church of the parish.
The first church was constructed in 1910 on a hilly and forest-surrounded two acre site three mile east and three and a half miles south ofArran. The church was a cruciform structure with a central blind dome. In 1961 this church was dismantled and the present church was constructed on the site. Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions; on July 13, 1969 Bishop Andrew Roborecki took part in the parish celebrations on the occasion of the church patron’s feastday.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure standing on a low concrete basement and measuring 54 x 26 feet; the frontal summit of the shingled gable roof is apexed by a cupola consisting of an open arcade drum and a white sheet metal dome; similar cupolas also apex the frontal towers on corresponding sides of the structure. The walls of the church are finished in narrow wood siding and contain rectangular windows with semi-circular summits. The church is west-east oriented with an east main entrance through an open porch roof shelter. The elevated sanctuary is found in the west end of the church structure and has north and south adjoining sacristies with exits to the church grounds. A choir loft extends above the east end of the nave and can be reached by a stairway at the north wall; a room for parents with small children is at the south wall of the nave beneath the choir loft. Several traditional glass mounted oil prints are found along the church walls; both the walls and angulated ceiling are finished in wood panelling. The church has a linoleum covered wooden floor, which is carpeted at the central aisle and in the sanctuary area, electrical lighting and oil heating. Seating capacity is for approx. 40 persons.
The parishioners constructed the church at a total costs of approx. $10,000 through their generous donations and voluntary labour. Construction was directed by the parish executive consisting of Rev. John Zabawa, pastor, Joseph Makohoniuk, Michael Stychyshyn, Carl Panagota and Frank Yunick.
Near the church stands a two bell wooden belfry; it was constructed the year the first parish church was constructed; in 1961 it was somewhat renovated. The parish cemetery is directly across the road from the church.
Ukrainian settlement began in this area approx. 1907 predominantly from Zaiishchyky and Borshchiv counties. The parish was established in 1910 by the following founding members: Prokip Hryhoryshen, Pylyp Chorneyko, Yakiv Prokopchuk, Emilian Fylypo-vych, Andriy Horokholyn (Horocholyn), Semen Kin-aschuk, Ivan Yurchyshyn, Kost Fylypovych (Philli-powich), Antin Sikorsky and Ivan Hrobarchuk.
In 1941 the parish registered 48 families with 60 children (Prop. Kynha), in 1961, 110 souls (Directory) and in 1975 there were 20 families. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Zdzislaw Karcz, MSF, Edward Mydynski, Andrew Makohoniuk, Mike Stychyshyn, Emilia Yunick, Ann Makich, Lawrence Mydynski and Nikodym Mydynski.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul, Arran-Vesna, is under the pastoral charge of Arran.
The name “Vesna” (meaning spring) was added for this parish to differentiate it from the Arran Town Parish (Directory).
Arran-Vesna Ss. Peter & Paul Church
Arran-Vesna Ss. Peter & Paul Cemetery
Kamsack District Parishes - Bulletins & Website
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Insinger Farms, Ss. Peter & Paul
Jedburgh Village, Ss. Peter and Paul
Plain View, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Administrator Ituna and Wynyard Districts
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
Telephone: 306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Melville, St. George