Stanyslavtsi church of St. Nicholas constructed 1951, 10 miles south-west of Ituna; R.M. 246.
BEDFORDVILLE — The church of St. Nicholas is the third church of the parish.
The first log structure was constructed in 1910 on a three acre site ten miles north-east of Ituna. It was destroyed by fire in 1920 and that year a second church was constructed by parish volunteers. Construction costs, $2,700, were covered by $100 donations from each of the parishioners. The church, a small structure with one central cupola, was blessed by Bishop Nicetas Budka in 1920. In 1951 it was sold to the Ukrainian Catholic parish at Kelliher.
The present church was constructed in 1951 on the site of the first two churches. On August 30, 1953, Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the church and consecrated the altar. The cruciform church structure, 60 x 40 feet, has a large central octagonal dome apexed by a cupola and two similar but smaller double cupolas above the frontal towers. The domes of the cupolas are covered with white sheet metal while the gable roof is shingled and the exterior walls have imitation brick asphalt siding. In the interior, the north sanctuary with the main altar has two adjoining sacristies, the lateral walls of the nave contain two side altars on corresponding sides of the sanctuary while the south wing of the structure contains a choir loft which extends over part of the nave. A high well illuminated central dome supported by arcades and four pilasters dominates the axis of the cruciform structure. The church does not have electricity and is centrally heated by wood. The church grounds contain a large rectangular belfry, a concrete mission cross; the parish cemetery is also on this site.
Ukrainian settlement of this area began in 1906 with settlers from the village of Yamnytsia in the Stanyslaviv county. The Bedfordville parish is often referred to as “Stanyslavtsi” after the place of origin of the first settlers. The founders of this parish were: Ivan Obuch, S. Smytsniuk, Maksym Kozun, Derkach, Pylyp Zubiak, Kost Spilchuk, Mykhaylo Pasechny and Pavlo Charanduk. In 1941 there were 36 members with 168 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 137 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 14 families were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of: Rev. S. Ivanochko, CSSR, pastor, Terry Kozun, Fred Spilchuk, William Spilchuk, Michael Spilchuk and Vladimir Halipchuk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Nicholas, Bedfordville, is under the pastoral charge of Ituna.