Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Blaine Lake acquired in 1947; R.M. 434.
BLAINE LAKE — The church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is the first church of the parish.
The church was purchased by the founders of the parish on April 18, 1947 from a local protestant community. It was moved from the neighbouring farms to a two lot site in Blaine Lake and altered to meet the requirements of the Ukrainian Rite. Rev. Basil Shumay blessed the church on August 31, 1947; Bishop Andrew Roborecki consecrated the altar in 1958 on the feastday of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The wood constructed church forms a small rectangle measuring 36 x 24 feet. In the interior the main altar is in an elevated sanctuary with an adjoining sacristy, directly opposite the sanctuary is a small choir loft. Entry into the church is through a small, separately roofed, adjoining porch. The church has a high angulated ceiling; wooden pews provide seating for approx. 50 persons; lighting is by electricity, central heating by gas. In 1969 the church was artistically decorated by Theodore Baran who also painted the oil on canvas icons in the church.
A wooden mission cross was installed near the church in 1952; the wooden belfry nearby was constructed in 1963. One lot of the church site was purchased through the collective funds of the parishioners. The second lot was donated to the parish by Ivan (John) Shewchuk.
Settlement of this area began as early as 1905 with Ukrainian pioneers from the Sokal, Horodenka and Lis’ko counties of Ukraine. The parish was founded by five member families together with Rev. Nestor Droho-myrecki. Holy services were initially held in the local Roman Catholic church. The first Divine Liturgy in the parish church was celebrated by Rev. Basil Shumay. At the first organizational meeting of the parish in 1947 which was held at the home of John Panchuk, the first parish executive was chosen consisting of: Stefan Protz, vice-president; John Shewchuk, treasurer; John Panchuk, secretary. From the inception of the parish in1947 to the present date. the cantor of the parish has been John Shewchuk.
In 1961 the parish registered 80 souls (Directory), m 1967 the membership increased to 100 souls and in 1975 the number decreased to 68 as many of the older members have expired or have moved to Saskatoon for retirement while younger members have registered at parishes near their areas of employment. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Roman Homenko, pastor, Nykola (Nick) Michayluk, Dmytro Kalyn and Leon Wartzaba.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at Blaine Lake is under the pastoral charge of Krydor.
BLAINE LAKE – the church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is the first church of the parish.
The church was purchased by the founders of the parish on April 18,1947 from a local protestant community and moved from the neighboring farms to a two-lot site on Railway Avenue in Blaine Lake. The building was renovated to meet the Ukrainian Catholic standards with the main altar in an elevated sanctuary, an adjoining sacristy, and a small choir loft. The wooden pews seated 50, lighting was with electricity, and heating went from wood to oil to gas. Rev. Basil Shumay blessed the church on August 31,1947. Bishop Andrew Roborecki consecrated the altar in 1958 on the feastday of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
As the years passed, our Parish began to increase in membership and renovations were made to the old church. However, age soon caught up to the church and renovations were no longer feasible. On July 28, 1982, under the advice of (the late) Bishop Andrew Roborecki, President (late) Nick Michayluk and Secretary/Treasurer (late) Richard Kalyn organized a parish meeting to discuss the building of a new church. The assembly accepted and approved the decision to build a new church in place of the old one.
A finance and building committee was elected and work was underway. On September 7, 1982 the old church was moved to one side of the two lots and excavation for the new 32′ by 56′ building was started. The frame structure is on a full basement with 12′ walls and has an angulated ceiling. The front entrance has a built in porch with a closet area and confessional. The basement is equipped with kitchen, dining, and washroom facilities.
The first Divine Liturgy was held on December 12,1982 with Father Dominic Mazun officiating. Most Reverend Bishop Basil Filevich blessed the new church on August 12, 1984 with Father Dominic Mazun and Father Deacon Holota at his side. The service ended with a dinner in the basement prepared by the Ukrainian Catholic Ladies.
Since 1947 the church has been served by Rev. Father Basil Shumay, Father Myron Pylypchuk, Father Michael Reshetucha, Father Andrew Choronzy, Father Walter Wasilishen, Father Stephen Harvanko, Father Peter Lisowsky, Father John Mucharsky, Father Stephen Junyk, Father Anthony Chabraszewski, Father Zdizlaw Karcz, Father Roman Homenko, Father Dominic Mazun, and Father Janko Kolosnjaji.
Current 2003/04 executive for Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish consists of Napoleon Zarubiak as President, Ed Dumas as Vice-President, Elsie Woytiuk as Sec./Treasurer, and board members Mike Parchoma, Helen Parchoma, Mary Michayluk, and Peter Szwydky. Cantor Darlene Hupaelo is assisted by Paul Charko, and Rev. Father Michael Fedoriv officiates regular services. The Ukrainian Catholic parish of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at Blaine Lake is part of the Hafford Pastoral District.
Blaine Lake Our Lady Of Perpetual Help Church
Blaine Lake Our Lady Of Perpetual Help Cemetery
Bulletins for North Battleford and Hafford District Parishes
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Janow Corners-Meath Park
Telephone: 306-764-1410 Email: email@example.com
Telephone: 306-978-2230 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Adamivko (Rosthern Farms), Pentecost
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9