Buchach – Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

 

Buchach church of the Patronage of the B.V.M. constructed 1913, 4 miles south-west of Hazel Dell; R.M. 335.

BUCHACH — The church of the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the first church of the parish.

The founding members of the parish constructed this church in 1913; it was renovated in 1924. Bishop Nicetas Budka visited the church in 1914 and 1918 and blessed it during the first episcopal visitation. The church was also visited by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933 and Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1952 and 1962.

The wood constructed rectangular church, 33 x 22 feet, has one small cupola above the shingled roof and two one-armed metal crosses at its east and west apexes. In the interior there is only the one main altar, a choir loft at the opposite end and the nave in which wooden pews provide seating for approx. 20 persons. Candles provide the lighting and the church is heated by wood. Construction costs, $900, were covered by generous donations of the parishioners who also worked voluntarily in the construction under the foremanship of Yakiv Rutkovsky (questionnaire 1975); Propam’yatna Knyha lists Danylo Holowachuk. The two acre church and cemetery site was donated by Mykhaylo Mykytyn.

Near the church stands a mission cross dating to 1940. Also in close proximity is a wooden bell tower with one bell which was donated by Anna Holowachuk.

Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area between 1904 and 1906 from the Buchach county after which they named their parish. Initially the settlers were served by the Redemptorist Fathers from Yorkton and holy services were held in private homes particularly in the home of Vasyi’ Dulaka. Later pastors commuted from the Canora and Arran parishes. The founding members of this parish were Mykh. Mykytyn, Petro Chimka, Nyk. Kropodra, Zakhar Yatsyshyn (Yacyshyn) and Stefan Panasiuk. The first Divine Liturgy in the constructed church was celebrated by Rev. Nestor Drohomyrecki. In 1941 the parish registered 15 members with 70 children (Prop. Knyha); in 1961, there were 20 souls (Directory), and in 1975, 7 families and 6 single members remained who often participate in holy services at the Hazel Dell parish.

The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Buchach, is under the pastoral charge of Preeceville.

“Buchach” the name of the old and historical county city located on the banks of the Strypa River in south-eastern Halychyna. It gained the status of a city in 1558. (J. B. Rudnyckyj: Canadian Place Names of Ukrainian Origin, p. 20).

 

Update 2003

The church of the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the first church of the parish, constructed in 1913. The church was renovated in 1924, 1985 and 2000. Bishop Nicetas Budka visited the church in 1914 and 1918 and blessed it during the first episcopal visitation. The church was also visited by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933 and Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1952 and 1962.

Construction costs $900 were covered by generous donations of the parishioners who also worked voluntarily in the construction under the
foremanship of Yakiv Rutkovsky. The two acre church and cemetery site was donated by Mykhaylo Mykytyn. Near the church stands a mission cross. Also in close proximity is a wooden bell tower with one bell which was donated by Anna Holowachuk.

Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area between 1904 and 1906 from the Buchach county in Ukraine, after which they named their parish. Buchach is the name of the old historical city located on the banks of the Strypa River in south-eastern Halychyna in Ukraine. It gained status of a city in 1558.

Initially the settlers were served by the Redemptorist fathers from Yorkton and holy services were held in private homes particularly in the home of Vasyi Dulaka. Later pastors commuted from Canora, Arran, Preeceville and Norquay Parishes.

The church is officially closed, and members belong to Preeceville or Hazel Dell parishes. Once a year Fr. J. Rac has Holy Liturgy in this church, and many people come from all over for feast of the church – “praznyk”.

Buchach – (closed) Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church

51°59’52.0″N 102°55’46.3″W

51.997789, -102.929528

Buchach – (closed) Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery

51°59’52.0″N 102°55’46.3″W

51.997789, -102.929528

List of Parishes

Albertown - Ss. Peter and Paul

Alticane - St.John the Baptist

Alvena Farms - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Alvena Town - St. Michael

Antonivka - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Arran - St. John the Baptist

Arran-Vesna -Ss. Peter and Paul

Balcarres - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Bankend - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Beaver Dale - Assumption of the BVM

Beckenham -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bedfordville - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bienfait - Ss. Peter and Paul

Biggar - Sacred Heart (closed)

Birmingham - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Blaine Lake - Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Bobulynci - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bodnari - Ss. Peter and Paul

Borshchiv - Ss. Peter and Paul

Broadview - Assumption of the BVM

Brooksby - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bruno - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Bruno Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Buchach - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Buchanan - Holy Ghost (closed)

Calder - Assumption of the BVM

Candiac - Holy Spirit

Canora - Ss. Peter and Paul

Carpenter - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Cecil - Holy Trinity

Chaplin-Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Chekhiv - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Cudworth Farms -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Cudworth - Our Lady of Sorrows Shrine

Cudworth Town - Holy Eucharist

Dana - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Dobrowody - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Dnipro (Dnieper) - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Dysart - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Erwood - Blessed Virgin Mary of Succour (closed)

Estevan - Assumption of the BVM

Fenwood - Ss. Peter and Paul

Foam Lake - Holy Eucharist

Fosston - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Glen Elder - Danbury - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Glentworth - Assumption of the BVM

Goodeve Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Goodeve Town - St. Michael

Grenfell - Ss. Peter and Paul

Gronlid - St. Michael (closed)

Guernsey - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Hafford - Holy Eucharist

Havryliuke (Prud'homme) - Sacred Heart

Hazel Dell - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

High Tor - Sacred Heart (closed)

Hodgeville - Ss. Peter and Paul

Holar - St. Demetrius

Hryhoriv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Hubbard - Holy Spirit (closed)

Hubbard - Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Hudson Bay - Holy Eucharis t (closed & sold)

Humboldt- All Saints

Hyas Village - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Insinger Farms - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Insinger - St. Nicholas

Invermay - Ss. Vladimir and Olga

Ituna - Sacred Heart

Jaroslaw - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Jasmin-Doroshi - Immaculate Conception (closed)

Jasmin - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Jedburgh Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Kamsack - St.Josaphat

Kelliher - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Kelliher - St.Volodymr

Kindersley - St.John the Baptist (closed)

Kipling - Presentation of the BVM (closed)

Kovalivka-Tiny - Transfigurartion of our Lord (closed)

Krasne - St. John the Apostle

Krydor - Sacred Heart

Kulykiv - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Kuroki - Ss. Peter and Paul

Kyziv-Tiaziv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Lanigan Farms - Sacred Heart

Laniwci - Ascension of our Lord

Lipton-Herzel - Dormition of BVM (closed)

Macdowall - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Major - Patronage of the BVM (closed)

Mamornitz - Virgin of Sorrows Ruthenian Church (closed)

Maybridge - St. Nicholas (closed)

Meacham - Ascension (closed)

Meadow Lake - St. Catherine (closed & sold)

Meath Park-Janow Corners - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Melfort - Holy Spirit

Melville - St.George's

Model Farm - Patronage of the BVM

Montmartre - Ss. Peter and Paul

Moose Jaw - Assumption of the BVM

Nipawin farms - Ascension (closed)

Nipawin town - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Norquay - Sacred Heart

Norquay Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

North Battleford - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Olesha - Sacred Heart of Jesus (closed)

Ormside-Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Orolow - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Parkerview - St. Nicholas (closed)

Pelly-Holy Eucharist (closed)

Peterson - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Plain View - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Podillia - Ss. Peter and Paul Cemetery - (No Church-closed)

Ponass Lake - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Porcupine Plain - Ss. Peter and Pau (closed & sold)

Preeceville - Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Prince Albert - St. George

Prud'homme - St. John the Theologian

Radisson - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Rama - Saints Peter and Paul

Regina - St. Athanasius

Regina - St. Basil the Great

Roadside Chapel near Rosthern

Rose Valley - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern - Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul

Rosthern Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern Farms-Adamivka - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Runnymede - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Samburg - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Saskatoon - Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God

Saskatoon - Ss. Peter & Paul

Saskatoon - St. George's Cathedral

Saskatoon - St. Volodymyr Villa Chapel

Sheho Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Sheho Village - Christ the King

Shipman Rural - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Sich - St. Michael's (closed)

Smuts - St. John the Baptist

Sokal - Holy Trinity(closed)

Speers - Ss. Peter and Paul

St. Julien - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrov) (closed)

St. Philip's - Assumption of the B.V.M. (closed)

Stenen - St. Nicholas (closed)

Stornoway Cemetery (closed-no church)

Stove Creek - St. Elias (closed)

Swan Plain - Ascension

Swift Current - St. John the Baptist

Tadmore - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Tribune - Holy Family

Tuffnell Village - Holy Trinity (closed)

Tway Farms - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Tway Town - Ss. Peter and Paul

Uhryniv - St. Nicholas (closed)

Ukrainian Park - Pike Lake - St. Volodymyr

Vasyliw - Ss. Constantine and Helena (closed)

Verigin - St. Nicholas (closed)

Vonda - Sacred Heart

Wadena - Descent of the Holy Spirt

Wakaw - Sacred Heart

Watrous - Holy Mother of God

Watson - St. George (closed)

Weekes - St. Nicholas (closed)

Welechko - Presenation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Weyburn - Holy Trinity

Whitebeech - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Whitesand - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Whitkow - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Willowbrook - Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wishart Farms - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Wishart Town - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Wolverine - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wroxton-Farms - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Wroxton-Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Wynyard - Sacred Heart

Yellow Creek - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Yorkton - Our Lady of Perpetual Help (St. Mary's)

Translate »
EnglishFrenchUkraine