Chekhiv church of the Holy Ghost constructed 1906, 6 miles south-west of Preeceville; R.M. 334.

CHEKHIV — The church of the Descent of the Holy Ghost is the first church of the parish.

The church was constructed in 1906. In 1927 it was relocated to a different area of the same site and reconstructed. Bishop Nicetas Budka blessed the church in 1914 and visited the parish again in 1918. Subsequent episcopal visitations were by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933 and Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1959.

The wooden church is in the form of an elongated cross with a central octagonal dome. The roof and dome are shingled; the cupola above the dome is covered with white sheet metal and apexed by a cross. Entry into the church is through a small adjoining porch-vestibule with a low shingled gable roof. Both the exterior and interior of the church are finished in narrow wood siding and are painted a light color. In the interior, the vaulted ceiling extends into a large central dome. The elevated sanctuary and main altar have one adjoining sacristy which exits to the church grounds; the nave contains wooden pews seating approx. 70 persons. Lighting is provided by candles while heating wood or coal burning stove. The church was constructed at a total cost of $3,000 and by voluntary labour of the parishioners under the foremanship of Danylo Holowa-chuk and Stefan Rehaliuk. The two acre church and cemetery site was donated by Semen Luciw. A wooden belfry with three bells was constructed near the church during its relocation in 1927; the cross nearby commemorates the Holy Mission of 1914.

Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1902 with settlers from the village ofChekhiv in the Buchach county who thus named their parish. The founding members were: Vasyi’ Prystay, Nykola Luciw, Ivan Holowachuk, Tanas Romanyshyn. The first holy services were served by Rev. Achille Delaere, CSSR, Rev. Henry Boels, CSSR and Rev. Francis Van den Bosch, CSSR, and were held in the dug-out shelters initially occupied by the settlers. Later, until the construction of the church, they were held at the home of F. Nazar. In 1941 the parish consisted of 30 members with 60 children (Prop. Knyha); in 1967 there were 90 souls (questionnaire) and in 1975, 17 families and 4 single members were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Casimir Kucharek, acting pastor for the pastoral district, Peter Gulka, and Paul Chapty.

The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Ghost, Chekhiv, is under the pastoral charge of Preeceville.

The name “Chekhiv” originates from a village in the Buchach county of Halychyna (Galicia).

Update 2003

The church of the Descent of the Holy Ghost is the first church of the parish. The church was constructed in 1906. In 1927, it was relocated to a different area of the samesite. Bishop Nicetas Budka blessed the church in 1914 and visited the parish again in 1918. Subsequent episcopal visitations were by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933 and Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1959. The church was constructed at a total cost of $3,000 and by voluntary labour of the parishioners under the foremanship of Danylo Holowachuk and Stefan Rehahuk. The two acre church and cemetery site was donated by Semen Luciw. A wooden belfry with three bells was constructed near the church during its relocation in 1927; the metal cross installed in 2002 commemorates the Holy Missions.

Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1902 with settlers from the village of Chekhiv in the Buchach county in Ukraine who thus named their parish. The founding members were Vasyi Prystay, Nykola Luciw, Ivan Holowachuk, Tanas Romanyshyn and others. The first holy services were served by Rev. Achille Delaere from Yorkton. In 1941, the parish consisted of 30 families with 60 children. The Ukrainian Catholic Parish of the Descent of the Holy Ghost, Chekhiv, is under the pastoral charge of Preeceville. In Chekhiv church there is just one service a year on “praznyk”, on the Feast of the Descent of the Holy Ghost (Pentecost).

Chekhiv Descent of the Holy Spirit Church

51°56’25.0″N 102°47’11.9″W

51.940267, -102.786650

Chekhiv Descent of the Holy Spirit Cemetery

51°56’25.0″N 102°47’11.9″W

51.940267, -102.786650

List of Parishes

Albertown - Ss. Peter and Paul

Alticane - St.John the Baptist

Alvena Farms - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Alvena Town - St. Michael

Antonivka - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Arran - St. John the Baptist

Arran-Vesna -Ss. Peter and Paul

Balcarres - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Bankend - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Beaver Dale - Assumption of the BVM

Beckenham -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bedfordville - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bienfait - Ss. Peter and Paul

Biggar - Sacred Heart (closed)

Birmingham - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Blaine Lake - Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Bobulynci - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bodnari - Ss. Peter and Paul

Borshchiv - Ss. Peter and Paul

Broadview - Assumption of the BVM

Brooksby - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bruno - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Bruno Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Buchach - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Buchanan - Holy Ghost (closed)

Calder - Assumption of the BVM

Candiac - Holy Spirit

Canora - Ss. Peter and Paul

Carpenter - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Cecil - Holy Trinity

Chaplin-Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Chekhiv - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Cudworth Farms -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Cudworth - Our Lady of Sorrows Shrine

Cudworth Town - Holy Eucharist

Dana - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Dobrowody - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Dnipro (Dnieper) - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Dysart - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Erwood - Blessed Virgin Mary of Succour (closed)

Estevan - Assumption of the BVM

Fenwood - Ss. Peter and Paul

Foam Lake - Holy Eucharist

Fosston - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Glen Elder - Danbury - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Glentworth - Assumption of the BVM

Goodeve Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Goodeve Town - St. Michael

Grenfell - Ss. Peter and Paul

Gronlid - St. Michael (closed)

Guernsey - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Hafford - Holy Eucharist

Havryliuke (Prud'homme) - Sacred Heart

Hazel Dell - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

High Tor - Sacred Heart (closed)

Hodgeville - Ss. Peter and Paul

Holar - St. Demetrius

Hryhoriv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Hubbard - Holy Spirit (closed)

Hubbard - Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Hudson Bay - Holy Eucharis t (closed & sold)

Humboldt- All Saints

Hyas Village - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Insinger Farms - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Insinger - St. Nicholas

Invermay - Ss. Vladimir and Olga

Ituna - Sacred Heart

Jaroslaw - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Jasmin-Doroshi - Immaculate Conception (closed)

Jasmin - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Jedburgh Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Kamsack - St.Josaphat

Kelliher - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Kelliher - St.Volodymr

Kindersley - St.John the Baptist (closed)

Kipling - Presentation of the BVM (closed)

Kovalivka-Tiny - Transfigurartion of our Lord (closed)

Krasne - St. John the Apostle

Krydor - Sacred Heart

Kulykiv - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Kuroki - Ss. Peter and Paul

Kyziv-Tiaziv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Lanigan Farms - Sacred Heart

Laniwci - Ascension of our Lord

Lipton-Herzel - Dormition of BVM (closed)

Macdowall - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Major - Patronage of the BVM (closed)

Mamornitz - Virgin of Sorrows Ruthenian Church (closed)

Maybridge - St. Nicholas (closed)

Meacham - Ascension (closed)

Meadow Lake - St. Catherine (closed & sold)

Meath Park-Janow Corners - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Melfort - Holy Spirit

Melville - St.George's

Model Farm - Patronage of the BVM

Montmartre - Ss. Peter and Paul

Moose Jaw - Assumption of the BVM

Nipawin farms - Ascension (closed)

Nipawin town - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Norquay - Sacred Heart

Norquay Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

North Battleford - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Olesha - Sacred Heart of Jesus (closed)

Ormside-Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Orolow - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Parkerview - St. Nicholas (closed)

Pelly-Holy Eucharist (closed)

Peterson - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Plain View - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Podillia - Ss. Peter and Paul Cemetery - (No Church-closed)

Ponass Lake - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Porcupine Plain - Ss. Peter and Pau (closed & sold)

Preeceville - Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Prince Albert - St. George

Prud'homme - St. John the Theologian

Radisson - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Rama - Saints Peter and Paul

Regina - St. Athanasius

Regina - St. Basil the Great

Roadside Chapel near Rosthern

Rose Valley - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern - Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul

Rosthern Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern Farms-Adamivka - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Runnymede - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Samburg - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Saskatoon - Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God

Saskatoon - Ss. Peter & Paul

Saskatoon - St. George's Cathedral

Saskatoon - St. Volodymyr Villa Chapel

Sheho Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Sheho Village - Christ the King

Shipman Rural - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Sich - St. Michael's (closed)

Smuts - St. John the Baptist

Sokal - Holy Trinity(closed)

Speers - Ss. Peter and Paul

St. Julien - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrov) (closed)

St. Philip's - Assumption of the B.V.M. (closed)

Stenen - St. Nicholas (closed)

Stornoway Cemetery (closed-no church)

Stove Creek - St. Elias (closed)

Swan Plain - Ascension

Swift Current - St. John the Baptist

Tadmore - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Tribune - Holy Family

Tuffnell Village - Holy Trinity (closed)

Tway Farms - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Tway Town - Ss. Peter and Paul

Uhryniv - St. Nicholas (closed)

Ukrainian Park - Pike Lake - St. Volodymyr

Vasyliw - Ss. Constantine and Helena (closed)

Verigin - St. Nicholas (closed)

Vonda - Sacred Heart

Wadena - Descent of the Holy Spirt

Wakaw - Sacred Heart

Watrous - Holy Mother of God

Watson - St. George (closed)

Weekes - St. Nicholas (closed)

Welechko - Presenation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Weyburn - Holy Trinity

Whitebeech - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Whitesand - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Whitkow - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Willowbrook - Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wishart Farms - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Wishart Town - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Wolverine - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wroxton-Farms - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Wroxton-Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Wynyard - Sacred Heart

Yellow Creek - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Yorkton - Our Lady of Perpetual Help (St. Mary's)

Translate »
EnglishFrenchUkraine