Dobrowody-exterior1

Dobrowody church of the Nativity of the B.V.M. constructed 1912 near Rama; R.M. 395.

DOBROWODY — The church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the first church of the parish. The church is eight and one-half miles north-east of Rama on a twenty acre site acquired for the parish by Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR. Construction began on August 13, 1911 following the blessing of the church site. The Roman Catholic Bishop Langeven donated $200 while the parishioners assumed the remainder of the $2,500 total costs and worked voluntarily under the foremanship of F. Nowakowski of Rama and the directorship of Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR.

Bishop Nykyta Budka visited the church in 1913 and 1926; Archbishop Basil Ladyka blessed it on August 24, 1930, and made a second visit in 1940. Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish in 1957 and 1965.

Dobrowody-interior1Icons for the iconostas and the artistic decoration of the entire church were done by the artist Paul Zabolotny in 1936. The structure has a slightly vaulted ceiling which extends into the large central dome, a wooden floor and pews which seat approx. 80 persons.

A mission cross near the church commemorates the Holy Mission of 1927 which was directedDobrowody-mission cross by the Redemptorist Fathers headed by Rev. S. Bachtalowsky and attended by approx. two thousand faithful from the Canora district. Also adjacent to the church is a wooden belfry; the bell was purchased in 1926 for $240. The parish hall nearby was constructed in 1917.

Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1904 from the village of Dobrowody in the Pidhaitsi county. Initially holy services were held in the Roman Catholic church and later at the home of K. Serhan. The organizers of the parish were: Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, Illya Tretiak, Stepan Tretiak, Ivan Krawetz, Petro Slobodzian and Ilyariy Koturbash. The first organiza­tional meeting, resultant of which was the decision to construct a church, took place in March 1908 (booklet “Jubilee 25 years . . .”). The founding members of the parish were: II. Koturbash, I. Tretiak, S. Tretiak, P. Slobodzian, P. Michayliuk, B. Diakow, Iv. Diakow, M. Yawney, T. Yawney, K. Serhan, S. Malovany, S. Kresak, I. Diakow, F. Diakow, 0. Diakow, I. Kotsulyma, H. Hrynkiw, H. Puliak, M. Maksimow, 0. Yochyshen and others.

At the time of construction the parish registered 40 families. In 1941 there were 30 members with 40 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 130 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 10 families remained. These, for the practical reasons of distance, have joined the parish at Rama.

In 1987 power was brought into the Parish for the first time.  June 26 1987 the bell tower was dismantled and a new bell tower was built by the parishioners on the same spot. This was the parish Millennium project.

1987 was also the parish’s 75th anniversary.  A commemorative plaque was made with a picture of the church.

Dobrowody-cemetery crossJuly 16, 1989. Bishop Basil Filevich visited the parish and in 1991 a monument (Cairn) was built at the Dobrowody-cemeteryparish cemetery. Fr. John Melnyk blessed the Cairn on September 22, 1991 at the annual Praznik.  May 1994 the church was reshingled and the dome was painted.  In 1999 during the summer, new siding was installed and the windows were all replaced on the church.  On August 3, 2001 a new metal Mission Cross was installed, as the original wooden cross has deteriorated beyond repair. The new cross was blessed September 23, 2001 by Fr. Ivan Nachachewsky.

In 2002, Fr. Andrij Wasylinko became our Pastor. Our parish is still alive and well, the membership is very dedicated. Our neighboring parishes support us, and we them.

The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Dobrowody in 2003 belongs to the Wadena Pastoral District.The name “Dobrowody” of Ukrainian origin comes from a village in the Pidhaitsi county. (some information from the publication Ukrainian Catholic Churches of Saskatchewan by Anna Marie Baran)

Dobrowody Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church

51°49’12.7″N 102°54’29.9″W

51.820186, -102.908300

Bulletins for Canora - District Parishes

Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Rac, Very Rev. Joakim, Dean
Box 1137, Canora, SK S0A 0L0
306-563-5148
 
Dungen, Rev. Warren  Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
306-542-2220; Cell: 306-590-7900
Email: wdungen@gmail.com
 
Yorkton Redemptorist Fathers
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK  S3N 0B9
306-783-4594
Lukie, Rev. Bohdan, C.Ss.R., Pastor Email: blukie@gmail.com
Kushko, Rev. Methodius, C.Ss.R
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, C.Ss.R Email: raylukie@sasktel.net
 
Administrator for Ituna District
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, C.Ss.R
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK  S3N 0B9
306-783-4594
Email: 
raylukie@sasktel.net
Ituna, Sacred Heart (Res) Box 340, Ituna, SK S0A 1N0 306-795-2411
 
Administrator, Wynyard District
Rac, Very Rev. Joakim, Dean
Box 1137, Canora, SK S0A 0L0
306-563-5148
List of Parishes

Albertown - Ss. Peter and Paul

Alticane - St.John the Baptist

Alvena Farms - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Alvena Town - St. Michael

Antonivka - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Arran - St. John the Baptist

Arran-Vesna -Ss. Peter and Paul

Balcarres - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Bankend - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Beaver Dale - Assumption of the BVM

Beckenham -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bedfordville - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bienfait - Ss. Peter and Paul

Biggar - Sacred Heart (closed)

Birmingham - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Blaine Lake - Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Bobulynci - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bodnari - Ss. Peter and Paul

Borshchiv - Ss. Peter and Paul

Broadview - Assumption of the BVM

Brooksby - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bruno - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Bruno Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Buchach - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Buchanan - Holy Ghost (closed)

Calder - Assumption of the BVM

Candiac - Holy Spirit

Canora - Ss. Peter and Paul

Carpenter - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Cecil - Holy Trinity

Chaplin-Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Chekhiv - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Cudworth Farms -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Cudworth - Our Lady of Sorrows Shrine

Cudworth Town - Holy Eucharist

Dana - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Dobrowody - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Dnipro (Dnieper) - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Dysart - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Erwood - Blessed Virgin Mary of Succour (closed)

Estevan - Assumption of the BVM

Fenwood - Ss. Peter and Paul

Foam Lake - Holy Eucharist

Fosston - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Glen Elder - Danbury - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Glentworth - Assumption of the BVM

Goodeve Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Goodeve Town - St. Michael

Grenfell - Ss. Peter and Paul

Gronlid - St. Michael (closed)

Guernsey - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Hafford - Holy Eucharist

Havryliuke (Prud'homme) - Sacred Heart

Hazel Dell - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

High Tor - Sacred Heart (closed)

Hodgeville - Ss. Peter and Paul

Holar - St. Demetrius

Hryhoriv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Hubbard - Holy Spirit (closed)

Hubbard - Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Hudson Bay - Holy Eucharis t (closed & sold)

Humboldt- All Saints

Hyas Village - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Insinger Farms - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Insinger - St. Nicholas

Invermay - Ss. Vladimir and Olga

Ituna - Sacred Heart

Jaroslaw - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Jasmin-Doroshi - Immaculate Conception (closed)

Jasmin - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Jedburgh Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Kamsack - St.Josaphat

Kelliher - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Kelliher - St.Volodymr

Kindersley - St.John the Baptist (closed)

Kipling - Presentation of the BVM (closed)

Kovalivka-Tiny - Transfigurartion of our Lord (closed)

Krasne - St. John the Apostle

Krydor - Sacred Heart

Kulykiv - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Kuroki - Ss. Peter and Paul

Kyziv-Tiaziv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Lanigan Farms - Sacred Heart

Laniwci - Ascension of our Lord

Lipton-Herzel - Dormition of BVM (closed)

Macdowall - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Major - Patronage of the BVM (closed)

Mamornitz - Virgin of Sorrows Ruthenian Church (closed)

Maybridge - St. Nicholas (closed)

Meacham - Ascension (closed)

Meadow Lake - St. Catherine (closed & sold)

Meath Park-Janow Corners - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Melfort - Holy Spirit

Melville - St.George's

Model Farm - Patronage of the BVM

Montmartre - Ss. Peter and Paul

Moose Jaw - Assumption of the BVM

Nipawin farms - Ascension (closed)

Nipawin town - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Norquay - Sacred Heart

Norquay Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

North Battleford - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Olesha - Sacred Heart of Jesus (closed)

Ormside-Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Orolow - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Parkerview - St. Nicholas (closed)

Pelly-Holy Eucharist (closed)

Peterson - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Plain View - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Podillia - Ss. Peter and Paul Cemetery - (No Church-closed)

Ponass Lake - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Porcupine Plain - Ss. Peter and Pau (closed & sold)

Preeceville - Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Prince Albert - St. George

Prud'homme - St. John the Theologian

Radisson - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Rama - Saints Peter and Paul

Regina - St. Athanasius

Regina - St. Basil the Great

Roadside Chapel near Rosthern

Rose Valley - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern - Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul

Rosthern Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern Farms-Adamivka - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Runnymede - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Samburg - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Saskatoon - Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God

Saskatoon - Ss. Peter & Paul

Saskatoon - St. George's Cathedral

Saskatoon - St. Volodymyr Villa Chapel

Sheho Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Sheho Village - Christ the King

Shipman Rural - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Sich - St. Michael's (closed)

Smuts - St. John the Baptist

Sokal - Holy Trinity(closed)

Speers - Ss. Peter and Paul

St. Julien - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrov) (closed)

St. Philip's - Assumption of the B.V.M. (closed)

Stenen - St. Nicholas (closed)

Stornoway Cemetery (closed-no church)

Stove Creek - St. Elias (closed)

Swan Plain - Ascension

Swift Current - St. John the Baptist

Tadmore - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Tribune - Holy Family

Tuffnell Village - Holy Trinity (closed)

Tway Farms - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Tway Town - Ss. Peter and Paul

Uhryniv - St. Nicholas (closed)

Ukrainian Park - Pike Lake - St. Volodymyr

Vasyliw - Ss. Constantine and Helena (closed)

Verigin - St. Nicholas (closed)

Vonda - Sacred Heart

Wadena - Descent of the Holy Spirt

Wakaw - Sacred Heart

Watrous - Holy Mother of God

Watson - St. George (closed)

Weekes - St. Nicholas (closed)

Welechko - Presenation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Weyburn - Holy Trinity

Whitebeech - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Whitesand - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Whitkow - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Willowbrook - Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wishart Farms - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Wishart Town - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Wolverine - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wroxton-Farms - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Wroxton-Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Wynyard - Sacred Heart

Yellow Creek - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Yorkton - Our Lady of Perpetual Help (St. Mary's)

Translate »
EnglishFrenchUkraine