Church of the Holy Eucharist constructed 1964-1965 in central Foam Lake; R.M. 276.
FOAM LAKE — The church of the Holy Eucharist is the second church of the parish.
The present parish at Foam Lake is described in the Propam’yatna Knyha as: “A mission post served by the Redemptorist Fathers of Yorkton; holy services are held in private homes”. In 1945, members of this mission post selected their first church executive consisting of: the Redemptorist Fathers as head of the executive; John Kuzub, vice-president; Peter Stan, secretary; and Mat Zinkowsky, treasurer. In 1948 the parishioners purchased the Holar church and relocated it on a parish site one-quarter mile east of Foam Lake. In 1964, after serving the parish for sixteen years, the church was sold and construction of the present church was begun. Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions and blessed the new church on June 25, 1967.
The second church is centrally located in Foam Lake on a three lot site purchased from the town for $2,000. The massive rectangular structure is constructed of concrete blocks and bricks, measuring 120 x 150 feet, and has two towers apexed by crosses on corresponding sides of the main entrance. Its asphalt covered roof is slightly elevated at the center. In the interior the walls have a plaster finish and are painted a light color, the hardwood floor is carpeted at the center aisle and in the sanctuary area, while the ceiling follows the exterior contour of the roof. The interior is divided into three principal areas consisting of a west elevated sanctuary with the main altar and north and south adjoining sacristies, the nave, and an east vestibule. The east choir loft is entered by a stairway in the nave. Behind the main altar hangs a large oil on canvas painting of the church patron; in the nave, on corresponding sides of the sanctuary, are two small votive altars with oil on canvas paintings of the Holy Mother of God and Christ the Redeemer. All three paintings are the artwork of Roman Kowal. The church basement serves as a parish hall with kitchen facilities and has entries from the north end of the vestibule and the church grounds. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 250 persons, is lighted with electricity, centrally heated with gas, and has modern plumbing facilities.
The parishioners constructed the church under the foremanship of Wasyi Buchko according to the architectural plans of the architects Portnall and Gradle of Regina. Construction and all associated costs totalled $100,000; these were covered by the generous donations and pledges of the parishioners, various fund raising projects organized by the women of the parish and countless hours of voluntary labour. All construction details, including the finances, were under the auspices of the parish executive and the construction committee. The parish executive consisted of the following: John Sereda, president; Paul Stan, secretary; John Popik, treasurer. The construction committee included the following: Teodore Halyk, president; Nick Federko, secretary; Peter Oleksiuk, treasurer; Peter Stan, Nick Lozoski and Michael Zenkowski, committee members.
The first Ukrainian settlers arrived in Foam Lake from the neighbouring parishes of Model Farm, Tuff-nell and also from Winnipeg, Manitoba. March 23, 1940 can be considered as the founding date of the parish; on that date, five member families together with Rev. Volodymyr Korba, CSSR, celebrated the first Divine Liturgy of the parish at the home of Vasyi’ (Bill) Shewchuk.
In 1961 the parish registered 100 souls (Directory), in 1975 there were 50 families and 17 single members. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Michael Schudio, CSSR, pastor. Nick Federko, Joseph Raina, John Sereda, Steve Schebel, and Tony Baran-iuk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Eucharist at Foam Lake is under the pastoral charge of Yorkton.
Foam Lake Holy Eucharist Church
Bulletins for Wynyard- District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
High Tor, Sacred Heart
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Weekes , St. Nicholas
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Glen Elder-Danbury – Holy Eucharist
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Maybridge – St. Nicholas
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Willowbrook, Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Administrator, Wynyard District
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0