Hryhoriv church of St. Demetrius constructed 1932, 10 miles south-west of Preeceville; R.M. 334.

HRYHORIV — The church of St. Demetrius is the second church of the parish.

The first church was constructed in 1907. “Nevertheless, that church didn’t have domes like the churches in the Old Land and this bothered our parishioners. They began to collect money for a new church and in the end constructed it . . .” (Prop. Knyha p. 246).

The second church was constructed in 1932 during the pastorate of Rev. Peter Kryworuchka. The parish was visited by Bishop Nicetas Budka in 1914 and 1918 and by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933, at which time he also blessed the church. Bishop Andrew Roborecki celebrated a solemn Divine Liturgy in the church on June 11, 1964.

The church is a wood constructed cruciform structure, 36 x 56 feet, with one large central dome and two smaller cupolas above the frontal towers. Its interior and exterior walls are finished with narrow wood siding and are painted a light color. In the interior the elevated sanctuary contains the main altar behind which hangs the large painting of the church patron; an adjoining sacristy is on its right. On corresponding sides of the sanctuary along the lateral walls of the nave are two small side altars traditionally dedicated to the Holy Mother of God and Christ Who Loves Mankind; these holy images are glass mounted oil prints. A choir loft extends over the vestibule and part of the nave and is reached by a stairway originating in the nave. The church is dominated by a vaulted ceiling and a large central dome illuminated by four windows. It contains wooden pews seating approx. 80 persons, is lighted by candles only and is centrally heated by a wood burning heater. The parishioners constructed the church through their contributions, costs totalled $2,300, and voluntary work was under the foremanship of Wasyi Huziak. The four acre church and cemetery site was donated by Marko Gulka. Near the church stands a cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1933. A church bell mounted on posts is also nearby; it was purchased in 1911 for $40.

The first Ukrainian settlers in this area arrived in 1902 and 1903 from the village of Hryhoriv of the Buchach county and so named their parish. The first holy services were served by the Redemptorist Fathers as early as 1903. Initially they were held at the home of Pavlo Shpak and Marko Gulka and from 1907 in the newly constructed church; at this time the parishioners were also served by pastors of the Canora and Arran parishes. The founding members of the parish were:

Kyrylo Dmytriw, Stefan Koniukh, Pavlo Shpak, Pavlo Shalansky, Pavlo Stachew, Leontiy Yatsyshyn (Ya-cishyn, Yacyshyn), Marko Gulka, Karpo Gulka, Zak-har Melnychuk, Vasyi’ Dmytriw, Yakiv Dmytriw and Dmytro Babak.

In 1941 the parish numbered 40 members with 90 children (Prop. Knyha); in 1961 there were 45 souls (Directory), in 1967, 16 families and in 1975, 12 families were accounted for. The founders of this parish are gradually passing to eternal rest while their Canadian born children are leaving the community for education and job opportunities in larger cities. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Casimir Kucharek, acting pastor for the pastoral district, Steve Shuya and Steve Gulka.

The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Demetrius, Hryhoriv, is under the pastoral charge of Preeceville.

The name “Hryhoriv” is of Ukrainian origin from the village of Hryhoriv in the Buchach county.

HRYHORIV St. Demetrius Ukrainian Catholic Church

The church of St. Demetrius is the second church of the parish. The first church was constructed in 1907. “Nevertheless, that church didn’t have domes like the churches in the Old Land and this bothered our parishioners. They began to collect money for a new church and in the end constructed it…” (Prop. Knyha p. 246)

The second church was constructed in 1932 during the pastorate of Rev. Peter Kryworuchka. The parish was visited by Bishop Nicetas Budka in 1914 and 1918 and by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933, at which time he also blessed the church. Bishop Andrew Roborecki celebrated a solemn Divine Liturgy in the church on June 11, 1964.

The parishioners constructed the church through their contributions, costs totalled $2,300 and voluntary work was under the foremanship of Wasyi Huziak. The four acre church and cemetery site was donated by Marko Gulka. Near the church stands a cross commemorating the Holy Mission in 1933. A Church bell mounted on posts is also nearby; it was purchased in 1911 for $40.

The first Ukrainian settlers in this area arrived in 1902 from the village of Hryhoriv of the Buchach county and so named their parish. The first holy services were served by the Redemptorist Fathers as early as 1903. Initially they were held at home of Pavlo Shpak and Marko Gulka and from 1907 in the newly constructed church.

Officially the church is now closed (having service just once a year), so the Hryhoriv members worship and belong also in the Preeceville church.

Hryhoriv St. Demetrius Church

51°52’54.7″N 102°47’12.6″W

51.881856, -102.786825

Hryhoriv St. Demetrius Cemetery

51°52’54.7″N 102°47’12.6″W

51.881856, -102.786825

List of Parishes

Albertown - Ss. Peter and Paul

Alticane - St.John the Baptist

Alvena Farms - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Alvena Town - St. Michael

Antonivka - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Arran - St. John the Baptist

Arran-Vesna -Ss. Peter and Paul

Balcarres - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Bankend - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Beaver Dale - Assumption of the BVM

Beckenham -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bedfordville - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bienfait - Ss. Peter and Paul

Biggar - Sacred Heart (closed)

Birmingham - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Blaine Lake - Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Bobulynci - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bodnari - Ss. Peter and Paul

Borshchiv - Ss. Peter and Paul

Broadview - Assumption of the BVM

Brooksby - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bruno - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Bruno Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Buchach - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Buchanan - Holy Ghost (closed)

Calder - Assumption of the BVM

Candiac - Holy Spirit

Canora - Ss. Peter and Paul

Carpenter - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Cecil - Holy Trinity

Chaplin-Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Chekhiv - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Cudworth Farms -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Cudworth - Our Lady of Sorrows Shrine

Cudworth Town - Holy Eucharist

Dana - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Dobrowody - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Dnipro (Dnieper) - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Dysart - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Erwood - Blessed Virgin Mary of Succour (closed)

Estevan - Assumption of the BVM

Fenwood - Ss. Peter and Paul

Foam Lake - Holy Eucharist

Fosston - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Glen Elder - Danbury - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Glentworth - Assumption of the BVM

Goodeve Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Goodeve Town - St. Michael

Grenfell - Ss. Peter and Paul

Gronlid - St. Michael (closed)

Guernsey - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Hafford - Holy Eucharist

Havryliuke (Prud'homme) - Sacred Heart

Hazel Dell - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

High Tor - Sacred Heart (closed)

Hodgeville - Ss. Peter and Paul

Holar - St. Demetrius

Hryhoriv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Hubbard - Holy Spirit (closed)

Hubbard - Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Hudson Bay - Holy Eucharis t (closed & sold)

Humboldt- All Saints

Hyas Village - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Insinger Farms - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Insinger - St. Nicholas

Invermay - Ss. Vladimir and Olga

Ituna - Sacred Heart

Jaroslaw - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Jasmin-Doroshi - Immaculate Conception (closed)

Jasmin - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Jedburgh Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Kamsack - St.Josaphat

Kelliher - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Kelliher - St.Volodymr

Kindersley - St.John the Baptist (closed)

Kipling - Presentation of the BVM (closed)

Kovalivka-Tiny - Transfigurartion of our Lord (closed)

Krasne - St. John the Apostle

Krydor - Sacred Heart

Kulykiv - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Kuroki - Ss. Peter and Paul

Kyziv-Tiaziv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Lanigan Farms - Sacred Heart

Laniwci - Ascension of our Lord

Lipton-Herzel - Dormition of BVM (closed)

Macdowall - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Major - Patronage of the BVM (closed)

Mamornitz - Virgin of Sorrows Ruthenian Church (closed)

Maybridge - St. Nicholas (closed)

Meacham - Ascension (closed)

Meadow Lake - St. Catherine (closed & sold)

Meath Park-Janow Corners - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Melfort - Holy Spirit

Melville - St.George's

Model Farm - Patronage of the BVM

Montmartre - Ss. Peter and Paul

Moose Jaw - Assumption of the BVM

Nipawin farms - Ascension (closed)

Nipawin town - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Norquay - Sacred Heart

Norquay Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

North Battleford - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Olesha - Sacred Heart of Jesus (closed)

Ormside-Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Orolow - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Parkerview - St. Nicholas (closed)

Pelly-Holy Eucharist (closed)

Peterson - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Plain View - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Podillia - Ss. Peter and Paul Cemetery - (No Church-closed)

Ponass Lake - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Porcupine Plain - Ss. Peter and Pau (closed & sold)

Preeceville - Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Prince Albert - St. George

Prud'homme - St. John the Theologian

Radisson - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Rama - Saints Peter and Paul

Regina - St. Athanasius

Regina - St. Basil the Great

Roadside Chapel near Rosthern

Rose Valley - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern - Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul

Rosthern Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern Farms-Adamivka - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Runnymede - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Samburg - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Saskatoon - Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God

Saskatoon - Ss. Peter & Paul

Saskatoon - St. George's Cathedral

Saskatoon - St. Volodymyr Villa Chapel

Sheho Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Sheho Village - Christ the King

Shipman Rural - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Sich - St. Michael's (closed)

Smuts - St. John the Baptist

Sokal - Holy Trinity(closed)

Speers - Ss. Peter and Paul

St. Julien - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrov) (closed)

St. Philip's - Assumption of the B.V.M. (closed)

Stenen - St. Nicholas (closed)

Stornoway Cemetery (closed-no church)

Stove Creek - St. Elias (closed)

Swan Plain - Ascension

Swift Current - St. John the Baptist

Tadmore - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Tribune - Holy Family

Tuffnell Village - Holy Trinity (closed)

Tway Farms - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Tway Town - Ss. Peter and Paul

Uhryniv - St. Nicholas (closed)

Ukrainian Park - Pike Lake - St. Volodymyr

Vasyliw - Ss. Constantine and Helena (closed)

Verigin - St. Nicholas (closed)

Vonda - Sacred Heart

Wadena - Descent of the Holy Spirt

Wakaw - Sacred Heart

Watrous - Holy Mother of God

Watson - St. George (closed)

Weekes - St. Nicholas (closed)

Welechko - Presenation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Weyburn - Holy Trinity

Whitebeech - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Whitesand - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Whitkow - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Willowbrook - Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wishart Farms - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Wishart Town - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Wolverine - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wroxton-Farms - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Wroxton-Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Wynyard - Sacred Heart

Yellow Creek - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Yorkton - Our Lady of Perpetual Help (St. Mary's)

Translate »
EnglishFrenchUkraine