Hubbard church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross constructed 1953-1955; R.M. 216.
HUBBARD — The church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross is the second church of the parish.
The first church was constructed by the parishioners in 1909, enlarged in 1918, on a site two miles south of Hubbard. This wood constructed church, 30 x 20 feet, was realized through the $5 individual donations of the parishioners and their voluntary labour under the foremanship ofYarotsky (Jarocki) of Good-eve and later P. Shpak. The Servant of God Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky blessed the church on November 13, 1913; Bishop Nicetas Budka blessed the church after its reconstruction in 1918. The first Divine Liturgy in the church was celebrated on February 13,1910 by Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR. Due to the rapid growth of the parish the small original church was dismantled and plans were made to construct a larger structure. The site, however, was retained as the parish cemetery; the late Rev. Henry Boels, CSSR is buried here.
The present wooden cruciform structure, 62 x 38 feet, was constructed between 1953 and 1955 in easterly Hubbard. It has a large central dome covered with white sheet metal, imitation brick asphalt siding and rectangular windows with arched summits. The interior walls are appropriately finished and painted while the vaulted cruciform ceiling extends into the large central dome. The church is north-south oriented with a north elevated sanctuary and main altar. A sacristy adjacent to the sanctuary has an additional entry from the east side of the church grounds. The church has electricity and central oil heating. Near the church is a mission cross. Bishop Andrew Roborecki honoured the parish with a visit in 1965.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1903 from the Stryi county, the city of Dolyna and the village of Lublinets. The parish was founded by Iv. Korchinsky, N. Korchinsky, E. Korchinsky, Yu. Korchinsky, F. Parachoniak, Hr. Kulykovych, V. Boyko, S. Yuristy, T. Lozinski, F. Mandziak, Iv. Lozinski, Iv. Simenovsky. P. Shoma, Iv. Korinets, S. Pawliw and Iv. Klepak. In 1910, when the first Divine Liturgy was celebrated, the parish registered 35 families (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 160 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 15 families were accounted for. The parish in 1976 was under the directorship of Rev. S. Ivanochko, CSSR, pastor, Mike Bryck, Joseph Kor-chinski, John Boyko, Mike Shubaly, John Protz and Mike Popik.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross at Hubbard is under the pastoral charge of Ituna.
Hubbard Town Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church
Hubbard Town Exaltation of the Holy Cross Cemetery
Ituna District Bulletins
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, C.Ss.R
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK S3N 0B9
Administrator, Wynyard District