Kovalivka church of the Transfiguration constructed 1933, 3’/2 miles north of Tiny; R.M. 304.

KOVALIVKA — The church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ is the third church of the parish.

The first chapel church was constructed jointly by the Ukrainian Catholic and the Latin rite communities in 1907 on a site one-half mile north-east of the Tiny railway station. In 1912 our community left this church, formed a separate parish and in 1913 constructed a church near the site of the first church. Holy services were served by the pastors of the Canora pastoral district. In 1932 this church was destroyed by fire; in 1933 the parishioners constructed the third church on a two acre site three and one-half miles north of the Tiny railway station, ten miles north-west of Canora. The first Divine Liturgy in this church was celebrated on August 20, 1933, by Rev. Andrew Sarmatiuk. In 1935 Archbishop Basil Ladyka blessed the church; Bishop Andrew Roborecki first celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church on August 19, 1952.

The church stands on a low concrete basement and is a wood constructed cruciform structure, 48 x 26 feet, with an architecturally complementing shingled gable roof and a small blind cupola at the axis of the intersecting arms. Its exterior and interior walls are finished in narrow wood siding and contain rectangular windows with arched summits. The main entrance into the church is sheltered by a small roof supported by columns with a railing.

In the interior the church contains an angulated sanctuary forming a broken semicircle with an adjoining sacristy. The structure has a choir loft, a wooden floor and a vaulted ceiling. Wooden pews provide seating for approx. 70 persons. Lighting is by candles, heating is by a wood burning heater. In 1933 the church was artistically decorated; the interior decoration, icons and murals, are the art work of Stepan Meush.

Construction of this church, total costs $1,600, was accomplished through the generous donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners under the fore-manship of W. Huziak. The two acre church site was purchased by the parishioners for $27.

Near the church stands a wooden memorial cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1962; adjacent to it is the post constructed bell tower. The parish has two cemetery sites: one is at the present church site, the second is at the site of the second church of the parish.

The first Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1906 from the Buchach and Borshchiv counties. The founding members of the parish were: Rev. Achille Delaere, CSSR, Ivan Shebets (Shabbits, Shabits), Ivan Husak, Marko Pura, Ivan Rudnytsky, Spyrydon Wolos, Tymotey Shabbits, Andriy Shabbits, Vasyi’ Natoniv, Mykhaylo Shvets, Pavlo Pura, Danylo Zaplitney, Ivan Wolos, Nykola Kuzek, Safat Hrynkiw, Semen Hnativ, Ivan Charuk, Victor Hanushevsky and Stefan Bodnarchuk.

In 1941 the parish consisted of 20 members with 40 children (Prop. Knyha). In 1961 there were 30 souls (Directory), in 1967, 27 individual members and in 1975, 8 families were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Peter Hardybala, pastor, William Shabbits, Mike Nicolichuk and Mike Kosar.

The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Kovalivka, is under the pastoral charge of Buchanan.

“Kovalivka” was most probably brought from the Motherland where there are several settlements with this name, for example, in the Stanyslaviv and Ternopil counties as well as others. The old world Kovalivka originates from the word (name) Koval’. J. B. Rudnyc-kyj, Canadian Place Names of Ukrainian Origin.

KOVALIVKA Transfiguration of Our Lord Ukrainian Catholic Church

The church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ is the third church of the parish. The first chapel church was constructed jointly by the Ukrainian Catholic and Latin rite communities in 1907 on a site one-half mile north-east of the Tiny railway station. In 1912 a separate parish was formed and in 1913 a church was constructed near the site of the first church. In 1932 this church was destroyed by fire; in 1933 the parishioners constructed the third church on a two acre site three and one-half miles north of the Tiny railway station. Construction of the church, total costs $1,600 was accomplished through the generous donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners under the foremanship ofW. Huziak. The two acre church site was purchased by the parishioners for $27. Near the church stands a mission cross and the post constructed bell tower. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated on August 20, 1933 by Rev. Andrew Sarmatiuk. In 1935 Archbishop Basil Ladyka blessed the church; Bishop Andrew Roborccki celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church on August 19, 1952.

The parish has two cemetery sites: one is at the present church site, the second is at the site of the second church.

The first Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1906 from the Buchach and Borshchiv counties. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Fr. Peter Hardybala, William Shabbits, Mike Nicolichuk and Make Kosar. Today there is just one service a year on August 19, and the members belong to the Buchanan or Canora parish.

Kovalivka-Tiny Transfiguration of Our Lord Church

51°42’26.4″N 102°35’27.7″W

51.707336, -102.591017

Kovalivka-Tiny Transfiguration of Our Lord Cemetery

51°40’41.4″N 102°34’24.3″W

51.678158, -102.573422

List of Parishes

Albertown - Ss. Peter and Paul

Alticane - St.John the Baptist

Alvena Farms - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Alvena Town - St. Michael

Antonivka - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Arran - St. John the Baptist

Arran-Vesna -Ss. Peter and Paul

Balcarres - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Bankend - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Beaver Dale - Assumption of the BVM

Beckenham -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bedfordville - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bienfait - Ss. Peter and Paul

Biggar - Sacred Heart (closed)

Birmingham - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Blaine Lake - Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Bobulynci - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bodnari - Ss. Peter and Paul

Borshchiv - Ss. Peter and Paul

Broadview - Assumption of the BVM

Brooksby - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bruno - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Bruno Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Buchach - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Buchanan - Holy Ghost (closed)

Calder - Assumption of the BVM

Candiac - Holy Spirit

Canora - Ss. Peter and Paul

Carpenter - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Cecil - Holy Trinity

Chaplin-Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Chekhiv - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Cudworth Farms -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Cudworth - Our Lady of Sorrows Shrine

Cudworth Town - Holy Eucharist

Dana - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Dobrowody - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Dnipro (Dnieper) - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Dysart - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Erwood - Blessed Virgin Mary of Succour (closed)

Estevan - Assumption of the BVM

Fenwood - Ss. Peter and Paul

Foam Lake - Holy Eucharist

Fosston - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Glen Elder - Danbury - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Glentworth - Assumption of the BVM

Goodeve Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Goodeve Town - St. Michael

Grenfell - Ss. Peter and Paul

Gronlid - St. Michael (closed)

Guernsey - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Hafford - Holy Eucharist

Havryliuke (Prud'homme) - Sacred Heart

Hazel Dell - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

High Tor - Sacred Heart (closed)

Hodgeville - Ss. Peter and Paul

Holar - St. Demetrius

Hryhoriv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Hubbard - Holy Spirit (closed)

Hubbard - Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Hudson Bay - Holy Eucharis t (closed & sold)

Humboldt- All Saints

Hyas Village - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Insinger Farms - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Insinger - St. Nicholas

Invermay - Ss. Vladimir and Olga

Ituna - Sacred Heart

Jaroslaw - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Jasmin-Doroshi - Immaculate Conception (closed)

Jasmin - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Jedburgh Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Kamsack - St.Josaphat

Kelliher - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Kelliher - St.Volodymr

Kindersley - St.John the Baptist (closed)

Kipling - Presentation of the BVM (closed)

Kovalivka-Tiny - Transfigurartion of our Lord (closed)

Krasne - St. John the Apostle

Krydor - Sacred Heart

Kulykiv - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Kuroki - Ss. Peter and Paul

Kyziv-Tiaziv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Lanigan Farms - Sacred Heart

Laniwci - Ascension of our Lord

Lipton-Herzel - Dormition of BVM (closed)

Macdowall - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Major - Patronage of the BVM (closed)

Mamornitz - Virgin of Sorrows Ruthenian Church (closed)

Maybridge - St. Nicholas (closed)

Meacham - Ascension (closed)

Meadow Lake - St. Catherine (closed & sold)

Meath Park-Janow Corners - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Melfort - Holy Spirit

Melville - St.George's

Model Farm - Patronage of the BVM

Montmartre - Ss. Peter and Paul

Moose Jaw - Assumption of the BVM

Nipawin farms - Ascension (closed)

Nipawin town - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Norquay - Sacred Heart

Norquay Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

North Battleford - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Olesha - Sacred Heart of Jesus (closed)

Ormside-Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Orolow - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Parkerview - St. Nicholas (closed)

Pelly-Holy Eucharist (closed)

Peterson - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Plain View - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Podillia - Ss. Peter and Paul Cemetery - (No Church-closed)

Ponass Lake - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Porcupine Plain - Ss. Peter and Pau (closed & sold)

Preeceville - Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Prince Albert - St. George

Prud'homme - St. John the Theologian

Radisson - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Rama - Saints Peter and Paul

Regina - St. Athanasius

Regina - St. Basil the Great

Roadside Chapel near Rosthern

Rose Valley - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern - Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul

Rosthern Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern Farms-Adamivka - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Runnymede - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Samburg - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Saskatoon - Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God

Saskatoon - Ss. Peter & Paul

Saskatoon - St. George's Cathedral

Saskatoon - St. Volodymyr Villa Chapel

Sheho Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Sheho Village - Christ the King

Shipman Rural - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Sich - St. Michael's (closed)

Smuts - St. John the Baptist

Sokal - Holy Trinity(closed)

Speers - Ss. Peter and Paul

St. Julien - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrov) (closed)

St. Philip's - Assumption of the B.V.M. (closed)

Stenen - St. Nicholas (closed)

Stornoway Cemetery (closed-no church)

Stove Creek - St. Elias (closed)

Swan Plain - Ascension

Swift Current - St. John the Baptist

Tadmore - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Tribune - Holy Family

Tuffnell Village - Holy Trinity (closed)

Tway Farms - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Tway Town - Ss. Peter and Paul

Uhryniv - St. Nicholas (closed)

Ukrainian Park - Pike Lake - St. Volodymyr

Vasyliw - Ss. Constantine and Helena (closed)

Verigin - St. Nicholas (closed)

Vonda - Sacred Heart

Wadena - Descent of the Holy Spirt

Wakaw - Sacred Heart

Watrous - Holy Mother of God

Watson - St. George (closed)

Weekes - St. Nicholas (closed)

Welechko - Presenation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Weyburn - Holy Trinity

Whitebeech - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Whitesand - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Whitkow - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Willowbrook - Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wishart Farms - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Wishart Town - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Wolverine - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wroxton-Farms - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Wroxton-Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Wynyard - Sacred Heart

Yellow Creek - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Yorkton - Our Lady of Perpetual Help (St. Mary's)

Translate »
EnglishFrenchUkraine