Church of St. Catherine constructed 1957-1958 in south-easterly Meadow Lake; P.M. 980.
MEADOW LAKE — The church of St. Catharine is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1957 and 1958, enlarged and renovated m 1973 and 1974, on a two lot site in south-easterly Meadow Lake. The first Divine Liturgy in this church was celebrated in 1958 by Rev. B. Bachynsky. Bishop Andrew Roborecki honoured the parish with several visitations and blessed the church on May 31, 1970.
The wooden rectangular structure, 40 x 25 feet, has a shingled gable roof and two small, blind cupolas with white sheet metal domes above the frontal towers. Its exterior is finished in grey stucco, while the interior is finished with donnacona painted a light color.The rectangular windows of the structure are decoratively accented by the white framing. The church is east-west oriented with a west main entrance through a small vestibule; entries from the vestibule lead to base of the south tower containing the confessional and the base of the north tower containing a stairway to the church basement which is utilized as a parish hall with kitchen facilities. There is no choir loft. Opposite the main entrance is an east elevated sanctuary with the main altar and north and south adjoining sacristies. The north sacristy also exits to the church grounds. Two small side altars in the nave are dedicated to the Holy Mother of God and Christ Who loves Mankind. The church has a vaulted ceiling, wooden pews which seat approx. 80 persons, electricity and central gas heating.
Construction was accomplished through the financial contributions and volunteer labour of the parishioners who were directed by the foreman Michael Balych and the construction committee consisting of Michael Balych Sr., John Boyko, and John Kindel. One lot of the church site was donated by B. Backus while the second lot was purchased by the parishioners for $125. The parish utilizes the municipal cemetery one mile west of the church.
Ukrainian settlement in the Meadow Lake area began in 1918 from the Lviv and Sokal counties of Ukraine. The town parish was organized in 1948 under the direction of Rev. M. Pylypchuk. Prior to this date holy services were attended at the local Ukrainian Orthodox church. In the year of its establishment the parish registered 50 souls, in 1961, the number was still 50 (Directory) and in 1975 there were 31 souls (quest.). In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. B. Bachynsky, pastor, Peter Boyko, Bohdan Balych and John Matweyew.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Catharine at Meadow Lake is under the pastoral charge of North Battleford.
ST. CATHERINE CHURCH
Meadow Lake, Sask.
St. Catherine Church was constructed in 1957 and 1958 on a two lot site in south-easterly, 706 Central Street, Meadow Lake, Sask.
The first Devine Liturgy in the church was celebrated in 1958 by Rev. Bohdan Bachynsky. His Excellency Bishop Andrew Roborecki officially opened and blessed the church on May 31, 1970.
The following priests that continued to serve the Divine Liturgies were: Rev. Anton Chabraszewksi, M.S.F., Rev. Vladimir Mudri, and Rev. Janko Kolosnjaji.
The parish utilizes the municipal cemetery one mile west of the church. The church was closed on August 6, 1996.