The Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul church in Montmartre constructed 1950-1952 on Hwy. 16; R.M. 126.
MONTMARTRE — The church of SS. Peter and Paul is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed between 1950 and 1952 in the north section of Montmartre by Highway No. 16. Rev. N. Sydorak celebrated the first Divine Liturgy. The church was blessed on August 24, 1972, by Bishop Andrew Roborecki.
The wooden cruciform structure is on a high basement measuring 72 x 40 feet; each wing is 28 feet wide. At the axis of the roof is a blind cupola; smaller cupolas, on open arcades, project above the two front towers. The exterior walls are finished in narrow wood siding and contain many rectangular windows consistent in ornamental form. In the interior the church is divided into three principal areas. An open construction iron iconostas, made in 1964 by the artist Ihor Suhatsev, separates the elevated sanctuary and main altar from the nave. Two small side altars with traditional dedication are in the nave on corresponding sides of the sanctuary. Opposite the sanctuary, above the vestibule, is the choir loft entered from the nave. The church has one sacristy, wooden pews seating approx. 100 persons, electricity, central gas heating and plumbing facilities. The hardwood floor is carpeted at the central aisle and in the sanctuary. The interior ceiling is vaulted. Hall and kitchen facilities are located in the basement of the church which can be entered from the church or church grounds. At one time Ukrainian language classes were conducted here but now these are offered at the public school.
The parishioners constructed the church under the leadership of their pastor. Rev. N. Sydorak and the church executive with: John T. Dusyk, president, Philip Procyk, secretary and Wasyl Stopanski, treasurer. The parishioners covered the costs, $12, 000, by personal contributions and worked voluntarily on the construction under the foremanship of Mike Huziak.
In 1969 a mission cross on a concrete foundation was installed near the church commemorating the Holy Mission directed by Rev. E. Tremblay, CSSR, during the pastorate of Rev. G. Mykoliw. The mission cross, the main gate of church property, the church crosses and other such works were done for the parish by Walter Procyk. The parish rectory, across the road, was constructed m 1957 during the pastorate of Rev. R. Homenko. The parish cemetery is one mile south of the church site on land donated by John T. Dusyk.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1904 predominantly from the Yavoriv county. Prior to the construction of the parish church they belonged to the parish at Candiac. The Montmartre parish was established in 1950 by twenty-four founding members who moved into the town from the neighbouring countryside. In 1975 the parish consisted of 44 member families. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. E. Tremblay, CSSR, pastor, Steve Warwaruk,’ John Slywka, Daniel Dusyk and Michael Hrycak.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul at Montmartre is the seat of the pastoral district with satellite parishes at Candiac, Grenfell, Broadview, Dysart and Kipling. The pastor of this district is Rev. E. Tremblay, CSSR.
As of September 2003 the parish executive consists of:
Fr. Andrei resides in the church residence and serves the mission churches of: Candiac, Grenfell, Weyburn and Tribune. Estevan was recently closed.
In 2002, the church basement (hall) was totally renovated. In June 2003, asphalt paving of the street by the church was done as well as the capping of the street and church sidewalk, which was paid by the parish.
Parish activities: annual Christmas carolling, the Ladies Society are very active by preparing for functions such as: Easter Tea and Bake sale, Parish Easter Dinner, annual BBQ for parishioners, Praznyk and blessing of the graves, Fowl Supper in October, St. Nicholas Celebration December 19 and they also have many perogy-making bees to raise funds for church maintenance and projects.
Montmartre Ss. Peter & Paul Church
Bulletins for Montmartre - Southeast District Parishes
Regina Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
(Res) 1747 Toronto Street, Regina, SK S4P 1M5
(Res) 55 McMurchy Avenue, Regina, SK S4R 3G4
Administrator for Moose Jaw District:
(Res)Box 306, Montmartre, SK S0G 3M0
306-424-2314 Email: email@example.com
Candiac, Holy Spirit Grenfell, Ss. Peter and Paul Tribune, Holy Family Weyburn, Holy Trinity
025-13th Avenue N West, Moose Jaw, SK S6H 4N3