Church of the Sacred Heart constructed 1951 in north-westerly Norquay; R.M. 303.
NORQUAY — The church of the Sacred Heart is the first church m the town of Norquay but the fourth church for the faithful of Norquay and the neighbouring farm settlements who previously belonged to the Norquay farms parish.
The parishioners constructed this church in 1951 on a four acre site in north-westerly Norquay. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Rev. John Worona. On June 7, 1970, Bishop Andrew Roborecki assisted by the parish pastor Rev. Andrew Muzyka blessed the church; this event was witnessed by many faithful from Norquay and district.
The wood constructed rectangular church stands on a high concrete basement, measures 64 x 32 feet, and has two small domes above the front towers. Its walls are finished in imitation brick asphalt siding and contain rectangular windows with arched summits. The front wall contains a triple arched window, rises in a semicircular form to the roof summit and is apexed by a metal cross.
The interior, as the exterior of the church, has a rectangular shape; its upper wall areas and vaulted ceiling are finished with donnacona, lower wall areas have hardboard finishing; the floor is constructed of wood and is covered with linoleum, the area surrounding the main altar is carpeted. Constituting the interior are the sanctuary with the main altar, two sacristies with access to the church basement and church grounds, the nave containing wooden pews seating approx. 100 persons, the vestibule and a choir loft; entry into the choir loft is by a stairway at the east side of the nave. The church patron painting and the two traditional icons on corresponding sides of the main altar are glass mounted oil prints. The church has electrical lighting, natural gas central heating and plumbing facilities. The finished church basement serves as a parish hall equipped with a kitchen.
Construction of the church was accomplished through the financial donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners under the foremanship of Michael Hrywka. All construction details were under the auspices of the church committee directed by Rev. Michael Reshetucha and consisting of John Gursky, John Martyniuk, Alex Kikura, Michael Lukey, Wasyi (Walter) Cherewyk, John Huska and Joseph Lukey. The church site was donated by Semen Lukey.
Near the church stands a commemorative cross of the Holy Mission directed by Rev. Gregory Shysh-kowych, CSSR, and Rev. Maxime Markiw, OSBM. Adjacent to the church is the pastor’s residence. Earlier, the parish also had a parish hall which was reconstructed from the second church of the Norquay farms parish;’ this hall and the land upon which it stood were sold. The parish utilizes the cemetery of the Holy Trinity parish at Norquay farms.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1904 predominantly from the Borschchiv county. The parishioners of this parish are, for the majority, former members of the Norquay farms parish. In 1961 the parish registered 81 souls (Directory), in 1975 approx. 60 persons were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of: Rev. Zdzislaw Karcz, MSF, Carl Lukey, Paul Martyniuk and Metro Shankowsky.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart at Norquay is the seat of the Norquay pastoral district with satellite parishes at: Norquay farms (although the church has been closed since 1968), Swan Plain, Hyas and Glen Elder. Pastor for the district is Rev. Zdzislaw Karcz, MSF
Norquay Sacred Heart Church
Kamsack Norquay District Parishes - Bulletins & Website
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, C.Ss.R
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK S3N 0B9
Administrator, Wynyard District