Rose Valley – Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)
Rose Valley church of the Assumption of the B.V.M. constructed 1958-1960 on Hwy. 35; R.M. 367.
ROSE VALLEY — The church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the first church of the parish.
The parishioners constructed the church between 1958 and 1960 on a two acre site in south-westerly Rose Valley. Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the cornerstone of the church on September 24, 1960.
The wooden rectangular church on a high concrete basement measures 60 x 30 feet, has two frontal towers apexed by cupolas, and a shingled gable roof apexed by a cross at its frontal summit. The exterior walls -are finished in a fireproof asbestos siding material; the interior is finished in a combination of donnacona, which appears at the upper wall areas and the ceiling, and wood panelling, which is found at the base of the walls. All windows are rectangular in form and have semicircular summits.
The church is west-east oriented with an east main entrance through an adjoining vestibule reached by concrete stairs; two additional entries into the church are found at the base of the frontal towers on corresponding sides of the main entrance. The west sanctuary contains the main altar and has two adjoining sacristies; the north sacristy has an entry into the church basement and an exit to the church grounds. Directly behind the main altar hangs a large church patron icon; it was done in the oil on canvas technique by Theodore Baran. All other holy images in the church are glass mounted oil prints.
A stairway at the north wall of the nave, near the main entrance, leads to a choir loft which extends over the eastern end of the nave; built-in confessionals are found beneath the choir loft along the south wall of the nave. The church has a linoleum covered floor which is carpeted along the center aisle and before the main altar. Wooden pews provide seating for approx. 100 persons. The church is equipped with electrical lighting, central gas heating and has a finished basement which serves as a parish hall with kitchen facilities; the main entry into the basement is from the west side of the church. i
The parishioners constructed the church at a total cost of $35,000 and through their generous financial contributions and voluntary labour under the foreman-ship of Nykola (Nick) Zary. All construction details were under the auspices of the construction committee and the directorship of the pastor Rev. Vladimir Flak;
The construction committee consisted of: Peter Lozinski, Ross Chaykowski and Alex Pacik. The first parish executive consisted of: John Panahichuk, Peter Pe-tryshen, Water Zwarych, Mary Zwarych, Rose Gand-zaias and Pearl Petryshen. One acre of the church site was purchased by the parishioners, the second acre was donated by Ross Chaykowski. The two acre parish cemetery, one mile north of the church, was also purchased by the parishioners.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1907; settlement in Rose Valley occurred later. Prior to the establishment of the town parish the faithful registered at the neighboruing parishes of Nora and Bobulynci. In 1961 the parish registered 180 souls (Directory), in 1975 there were 38 families, a total of 140 individual members. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Andrew Choronzy, acting pastor. Harry Mel-nyk. Nick Chorney, George Sorba, Stephine Sorba, Kate Lysyshyn, Mary Zwarych, Maryann Kralka, Neonilia Lysyshyn and Helen Chaykowski.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Rose Valley is under the pastoral charge of Wadena.
Rose Valley Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church
Rose Valley Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery
Bulletins for Wynyard- District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, C.Ss.R
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK S3N 0B9
Administrator, Wynyard District