Shipman Rural – Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)
Church of the Holy Apostle SS. Peter and Paul constructed 1953, 6 miles south-east of Shipman; R.M. 488.
SHIPMAN — The church of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul is the second church of the parish.
The first church was constructed in 1931 on a two-acre site six miles south-east of Shipman. The small church structure was constructed of logs and measured 28 x 20 feet. In 1953 it was reconstructed into a parish hall and on the eastern boundary of the same site the present church was constructed. Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the church and parish in 1959 and 1974.
The wood constructed rectangular church, 42 x 24 feet, has a shingled gable roof and imitation stone asphalt siding. In the interior the base of the walls is finished with plywood; the remaining wall areas including the vaulted ceiling are finished with donnacona. The main entrance and choir loft are at the west end of the structure while the sanctuary with the main altar and two adjoining sacristies is at the east. Two side altars, along the walls which separate the sacristies from the nave, are dedicated to the Holy Mother of God and Christ Who Loves Mankind. Wooden pews in the nave seat approx. 40 persons, the stairway in the nave leads to the choir loft. Candles are used for lighting and the church is heated by wood burning.
Near the church stands a wooden cross commemorating a Holy Mission of the parish. A short distance from the church is the parish cemetery. The church and cemetery site was donated to the parish by Wasyi and Fred (Fedir) Sokoliuk and Ivan Kalyn.
Ukrainian settlers began to arrive in this area in 1925 from the Horodenka, Sokal and Temopil counties. The first Divine Liturgy in the community was celebrated in 1930 by Rev. Nicholas Demkiw at the home of Wasyi (William) Basarab. In 1941 the parish registered 12 families (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 60 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 7 families remained (questionnaire). In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. John Worona, pastor, Joseph Boyarchuk, John Sklar and Roman Benrot.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul, Shipman, is under the pastoral charge of Prince Albert.
Shipman Rural Ss. Peter and Paul Church
Shipman Rural Ss. Peter and Paul Cemetery
Prince Albert District Parishes - Bulletins & Website
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Janow Corners-Meath Park
Telephone: 306-764-1410 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 306-978-2230 Email: email@example.com
Adamivko (Rosthern Farms), Pentecost
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9