Sokal – Holy Trinity (closed)
Church of the Holy Trinity constructed 1943 north-west of Wakaw; R.M. 431.
SOKAL — The church of the Holy Trinity is the second church of the parish.
The first church was -constructed in 1904 twelve miles north-west of Wakaw. This was a small log structure finished with boards; it had a small blind cupola and contained but the main altar in its interior. Adjacent to the church stood a reading room (hall) which was destroyed by fire in 1927. In the fall of 1939 the first church was also destroyed by fire. In 1943 the parishioners constructed the second church in which the first Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Rev. Michael Olenchuk. This church was blessed on August 31, 1952 by Bishop Andrew Roborecki.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure with two frontal towers apexed by cupolas. Its exterior and interior walls are finished in narrow wood siding and contain rectangular windows with arched summits; the gable roof is shingled while the cupolas are covered with white sheet metal. The church is east-west oriented with a west main entrance through a small separately roofed adjoining porch-vestibule and an east elevated sanctuary. The sanctuary contains the main altar, the prothesis, the church patron painting and has north and south adjoining sacristies; the south sacristy also exits into the church grounds. The church patron icon and the two traditional nave icons of the Holy Mother of God and Christ the Redeemer were done in the oil on canvas technique; these icons as well as the artistic decoration of the entire church were done in 1950 by Theodore Baran.
A choir loft extends above the west end of the nave and can be reached by a wooden stairway at the south wall of the nave. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 60 persons, it is lighted by candles and heated by oil. Construction costs totalled $4,000 and were covered by the generous financial donations of the parishioners who also worked voluntarily during construction and the landscaping of the church grounds. Chief foreman of the construction was Peter Syrota; the church site was donated by Fedir Rawlyk.
Near the church stands a wooden mission cross dating to 1927 and adjacent to it a concrete belfry was constructed in 1969; the two bells installed in the belfry were purchased by the parishioners in 1910 for $150 and originally were housed in a wooden belfry which was later dismantled. A short distance from the church is the parish cemetery site which was donated by Fylyp Mamchur.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1901 with settlers from the Sokal and Radekhiv counties. The parish was established by 72 founding members (families). Originating from this parish is Sr. Methodius K. Zerebesky, SMI.
In 1941 there were 14 member families (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 60 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 11 families were accounted for. In the year 2003 the Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Trinity, Sokal, is under the pastoral charge of Cudworth. The pastor is Rev. Vasyl Hnatikivskyy
The name “Sokal” originates from Halychyna and refers to a county city along the River Buh found north of Lviv. The name Sokal is an ancient name associated with the word “Sik” (J. B. Rudnyckyj — Canadian Place Names of Ukrainian Origin p. 68).
Sokal Holy Trinity Church
Sokal Holy Trinity Cemetery
Bulletins for Cudworth - District Parishes
Cudworth and District Praznyks - 2017
|Location||Date - Calendar|
(Gregorian- G; Julian -J)
|Humboldt, All Saints||May 22 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Adamiwka, Pentecost||June 4 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Sokal, Holy Ghost||June 5 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Cudworth, Holy Eucharist||June 18 (G)||11:15 a.m.|
|Lanigan, Sacred Heart||June 28 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Wakaw, Sacred Heart of Jesus||July 8 - (J)||?|
|Tway, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 9 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Rosthern, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 16 (J)||11:15 a.m.|
|Carpenter (Hory) Ascension||August 11 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Alvena (Farms), Dormition BVM||August 28 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|St. Julien, Patronage BVM||October 14 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Alvena, Archangel Michael||November 21 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Janow Corners-Meath Park
Telephone: 306-764-1410 Email: email@example.com
Telephone: 306-978-2230 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Adamivko (Rosthern Farms), Pentecost
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9