St. Julien – Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrov) (closed)
St. Julien church of the Patronage of the B.V.M. constructed 1926, 11 miles west of Wakaw; P.M. 402.
ST. JULIEN — The church of the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the third church of the parish.
The first church, which was a small log structure was constructed by Ukrainian settlers in 1903. In 1909 it was sold and a new larger structure was constructed which during the initial stages of construction was blessed by the pastor Rev. Emilian Andruchowicz. In 1918 disunion arose, the constructed church remained with the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox community while the Ukrainian Catholic community constructed the present church in 1926 which was the blessed October 14, 1924, by Rev. Stephen Fedoronko. Archbishop Basil Ladyka blessed the church in 1933. Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions; on July 10, 1955, Bishop Andrew blessed the cornerstone and consecrated the church.
The church is a wood constructed cruciform structure, 40 x 28 feet, with a central sheet metal dome which was originally a copper bronze color and now is painted the color of aluminum. Its roof is shingled, the exterior and interior walls have narrow wood siding and are painted a light color. The main entrance into the church is from the west and leads directly into the nave. In the east wing of the church there is a slightly elevated sanctuary with the main altar and north and south adjoining sacristies; the north sacristy exits to the church grounds. Behind the main altar hangs a large oil on canvas icon of the church patron; additional oil on canvas icons of the Holy Mother of God with the Christ Child and Christ the Redeemer are found along the lateral walls of the nave on corresponding sides of the main altar. These paintings were done in 1955 and are the artwork of Theodore Baran.
Above the west end of the nave extends the choir loft which is reached by a stairway at the south wall of the nave. The central area of the church is dominated by a high central dome well-illuminated by four windows;
the four extending wings of the church are dominated by vaulted ceilings. The church has a wooden floor, which is carpeted in the sanctuary area, and contains wooden pews seating approx. 60 persons. Lighting is by electricity, central heating is by oil.
The church was constructed by the parishioners through their financial contributions and voluntary labour. Chief carpenters of the construction were Vasyi’ Zadorozny, Ivan Feschuk, Ivan Tuchak and Pylyp Shwaykivsky; the interior finishing was directed by Tymko Yakimchuk. The two acre church and cemetery site was donated by Matvey Chyz.
Near the church stands a single bell belfry constructed in 1943 by Isidore Skakun; the bell was purchased by the parishioners in 1926 and, until the construction of the belfry, was mounted on posts. The mission cross nearby was installed in 1965 in commemoration of the Holy Mission directed by Rev. Maxime Markiw, OSBM. A short distance away stands the parish hall constructed by the members in 1961. The parish cemetery lies in continuation of the parish property.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1897 and were predominantly from the Horodenka, Sniatyn and Sokal counties of Ukraine. The construction of the present church was initiated by the families of: 0. Calyniuk, J. Yakimchuk, M. Sawitsky, A. Kun, A. Bodnarchuk, P. Nalywayko, D. Bodnarchuk and I. Cwik (Swik). In 1941 the parish registered 8 members with 35 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 50 souls (Directory), and in 1975 there were 7 families. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Lubomyr Ramach, acting pastor, John Yakimchuk, Paul Calyniuk, Joseph Yakimchuk and Nykola (Nick) Kalyniuk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Julien in the 2003 is under the pastoral charge of Cudworth. The pastor is Rev. Vasyl Hnatikivskyy. The parish is well looked after by the remaining parishioners. Divine Liturgy is celebrated once a year.
St. Julien Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrov) Church
St. Julien Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrov) Cemetery
Bulletins for Cudworth - District Parishes
Cudworth and District Praznyks - 2017
|Location||Date - Calendar|
(Gregorian- G; Julian -J)
|Humboldt, All Saints||May 22 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Adamiwka, Pentecost||June 4 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Sokal, Holy Ghost||June 5 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Cudworth, Holy Eucharist||June 18 (G)||11:15 a.m.|
|Lanigan, Sacred Heart||June 28 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Wakaw, Sacred Heart of Jesus||July 8 - (J)||?|
|Tway, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 9 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Rosthern, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 16 (J)||11:15 a.m.|
|Carpenter (Hory) Ascension||August 11 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Alvena (Farms), Dormition BVM||August 28 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|St. Julien, Patronage BVM||October 14 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Alvena, Archangel Michael||November 21 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Janow Corners-Meath Park
Telephone: 306-764-1410 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 306-978-2230 Email: email@example.com
Adamivko (Rosthern Farms), Pentecost
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9