Wadena – Descent of the Holy Spirit
Wadena Parish of the Descent of the Holy Spirit
On the intersection of highways 35 and 5 lies a town of about 1500 people – Wadena. Here, since 1950 has been located our parish of the Descent of the Holy Spirit. Until 1983, when it became a center of a new pastoral district, it was under the pastoral charge of Humboldt.
The present church building is the second one for this community. The first was constructed in the year 1950 on a seven-lot site in the eastern part of town. The church, as it stood in the year 1987 before being demolished to make way for the new structure, was a 50x30 foot wooden building, on a full concrete basement, decorated inside with oil paintings executed by the well known church artist Theodore Baran. The finished basement served as the parish hall. The total seating capacity of the church was approximately 140.
In the year 1986, under the pastorship of Fr. John P. Melnyk, the parishioners, at their regular annual meeting voted in favour of building a new church and hall complex. This Millenium project which began in October 1986 was finished in 1987 before the feast of Pentecost, the Parish Praznyk. However, the official blessing and dedication of the new Descent of the Holy Spirit Church took place on Sunday, September 1987, by His Excellency Bishop Basil Filevich.
The new church and hall complex has a total square footage of approximately 5,000, is six-sided in shape and made of steel, with laminated beams and a brick veneer construction. The church portion has a seating capacity of 175 and the hall close to 200. It is constructed in such a manner that should it be necessary to accommodate an overflow during services, the accordion type doors can be opened to the hall in order to enable an additional 100 people to actively take part in the service. The building is wheelchair accessible. In the year 2000 a beautiful iconostas was installed, donation of the Fr. Andrew Choronzy, which enhanced the prayerful atmosphere of the church.
For 20 years, the Wadena Parish has been the pastoral center for many communities. Presently there are 7 active parishes and 2 open once a year for Praznyks that form this District. Here are the names of the other churches besides the Descent of the Holy Spirit: Ss. Peter & Paul in Kuroki; Ss. Vladimir and Olga in Invermay; Ss. Peter & Paul in Rama; Nativity of B.V.M. in Dobrowody; Ss. Peter & Paul in Hazel Dell, (Dobrowody and Hazel Dell are active from April to November); Assumption of the B.V.M. in Rose Valley; Transfiguration of Our Lord in Babulinci (closed) and St. Demetrius the Great in Tiaziv (closed). Additionally, there are other parishes which are already inactive or amalgamated with other communities and are located in Fosston (Wadena); Nora & Ponass Lake (Rose Valley) & Kulikiw (Invermay).
The present pastor of the Wadena parish, Fr. Andrij (Andrzej) Wasylinko, began his ministry on August 25th, 2002. Before him there were the following priests who served this community: Fr. John Melnyk (1983-2002), Fr. Andrew Choronzy (1976-1983), Fr. Daniel J. Saiko (1975-6), Fr. M. Baraniecki, C.Ss.R. (1975), Fr. S. Junyk, O.S.B.M. (1973-4), Fr. Andrew Choronzy (1972-3), Fr. A. Schesniuk (1968-1971), Fr. John Worona (1965-7), Fr. Vladimir Flak (1957-65), Fr. John Zabawa (1956-7), Fr. Peter Pasichnyk (191954-5), Fr. M.B. Reshetucha (1954), Fr. Basil Shawchuk (1953-4), Fr. Vladimir Shek (1952-3) and Fr. Theophil Hurko (1949-1951) who formed the parish of the Descent of the Holy Spirit.
Biography of Fr. Andrij (Andrzej) Wasylinko
- Born in Wegorzewo, Poland on May 19th, 1966.
- The second of five children of Eugenia Wiktoria (Jarczak) and Jaroslaw Wasylinko.
- Graduated from Agriculture College in Karolewo, Poland, in 1986.
- Sponsored to Canada by St. Mary’s Ukrainian Catholic Church in Yorkton, on December 1989.
- Arrived in Yorkton on October 29, 1990.
- Entered the Holy Spirit Seminary in Ottawa in January, 1991.
- From 1994-6, he stayed at the Studite Monasteries in USA (California) and Ukraine (Lviv & Kolodijivka) and worked at the SSMI Retreat Centre in Ancaster, Ontario.
- From 1997-9 continued his studies at St. Paul University.
- In April, 1999, he graduated with Civil and Ecclesiastical Degrees in Eastern Christian Studies.
- From May 1999 – October 2000 worked at Mount Mary Retreat Centre in Ancaster, Ontario.
- On May 20th, 2000 Andrij was married to Lidia Oksana Cisarskyj.
- From November, 2000 to July 2002 he was employed at Holy Eucharist Church, Toronto, as the Parish Secretary and the Pastoral Intern.
- On July 10th, 2001 Andrij & Lidia Wasylinko were blessed with their first child, daughter Sophia Marie.
- Ordained Sub-Deacon on September 26th, 2001 by Bishop Kyr Michael Wiwchar, C.Ss.R.
- Ordained Deacon on January 27th, 2002 by Bishop Kyr Cornelius J. Pasichny, OSMB
- August 25th, 2002, Dcn. Andrij was ordained to the priesthood at St. Mary’s, Yorkton, by His Grace, Metropolitan Michael Bzdel.
- August 25th, 2002 Fr. Andrij began his ministry in the Pastoral District of Wadena, Saskatchewan.
- January 3rd, 2003, Fr. Andrij’s second daughter, Anastasia Maria was born.
Wadena Descent of the Holy Spirit Church
Bulletins for Wynyard- District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, C.Ss.R
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK S3N 0B9
Administrator, Wynyard District