Wakaw – Sacred Heart
Church of the Sacred Heart constructed 1945-1946 in Wakaw; R.M. 401.
WAKAW — The church of the Sacred Heart is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1945-1946 on a one acre site in Wakaw. The first Divine Liturgy in the church was celebrated by Rev. Cyryl Lotocki. Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the cornerstone and consecrated the church on June 28, 1953, and blessed the church bells on August 23, 1963.
The church is a wooden rectangular structure, 60 x 30 feet, on a high concrete basement and has three frontal cupolas. Originally the walls had an imitation brick finish; in approx. 1971 the exterior was renovated and is now finished with masonite siding of a light color. The church is south-north oriented with a north main entrance through an adjoining porch-vestibule.
In the interior the sanctuary with the main altar is elevated and has two adjoining sacristies; the west sacristy has an entry into the
church basement and an exit to the church grounds. Behind the main altar hangs a large oil on canvas church patron painting which was painted in 1951 by Wasyi (William) Solar. The two oil on canvas icons of the Holy Mother of God and Christ the Teacher, which have small votive altars, are the artwork of Theodore Baran and were painted in 1955.
Opposite the main altar, the choir loft extends above the north end of the nave and is reached by a carpeted stairway; the choir loft, the central aisle in the nave, the sanctuary and its two adjoining sacristies are also carpeted. The base of the interior walls in finished in wood panelling, the upper wall areas and the vaulted ceiling are finished in painted donnacona. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 60 persons, has electricity, central gas heating and plumbing facilities. The finished church basement serves as a parish hall with kitchen facilities. Entries into the church basement are at the west wall of the nave and the west side of the church grounds through an adjoining porch. The church has electric bells which were purchased in 1963 for $1,800; speakers have been installed in the central front cupola.
Construction of this church was made possible through financial contributions and voluntary labour of the parishioners who worked under the foremanship of Paul Kukuruza. The one acre church site was purchased by the parishioners for $100. The parish cemetery is two miles north of the church.
Near the church stands a cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1965. The site also contains a rectory which was constructed in 1957.
Ukrainian Catholics moved into Wakaw in 1934 from thfc neighbouring parishes and farms in the district. In 1961 the parish registered 145 souls (Directory), in 1975 there were 44 families and 15 single members. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Lubomyr Ramach, acting pastor, Michael Diakoff, Bohdan Zadvomy, William (Bill) Buryniuk, Ernest Huculiak, Nykola (Nick) Kalyniuk, Metro Balone, Anton Micheolycia, Sophie Zakus, Mary Moysiuk, Wasylyna Twardy, Tekia Herchak, Joseph Skopyk and Steve Zaieschuk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart at Wakaw is the seat of the pastoral district of Wakaw with satellite parishes at St. Julien, Sokal, Tway and, during its tenure, Tway farms. Acting pastor for the district is Rev. Lubomyr Ramach.
HISTORY OF THE PARISH
1934 – Ukrainian Catholics settling in Wakaw, attending Divine Liturgy in
Ukrainian or Roman Catholic churches
1941—Dreams of the Sheremetas,Bilorosuks, Werbickis, Mamchurs, Lestashyns,
Ostrowskys, & Hrynewichs starts to become a reality when an acre of land is
purchased at the present site for a church. Also, an acre of land is purchased
North of town for a cemetery.
Before the church was built, Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the homes of Wasyl
Sheremeta or John Bilorosuk.
1945-1946 – Church construction started and completed, becoming the first church
in the parish.
Construction made possible through financial contributions, bazaars, and
Voluntary labour of Founders who worked under the foremanship of Paul
1946—First Divine Liturgy celebrated by Fr. Cyril Lotocki, and the Parish was under
the Pastoral charge of Cudworth
1951—Sacred Heart of Jesus Icon, behind the alter, painted by Wasyl Solar, donated by
Jacob & Katherine Buryniuk
1953—Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the cornerstone and consecrated the church
on July 28.
1953—Fr. Basil Woloshyn becomes the first resident Pastor. The parish becomes the
Pastoral seat for missions of Sokal & St. Julien
1955– Icons painted by Theodore Baran, Christ The Teacher, bonated by Stephen &
Sophia Zakus. Mother of God, donated by Metro & Anne Balone.
1955—U.C.W.L. Branch formed with 27 members.
1955—Mission Cross placed near the church.
1957—Residence (Rectory ) constructed for Parish Priest.
1963—Church chimes (Bells) blessed on August 23
1980—Parish again under the Cudworth charge.
. No resident priest. Rectory sold
1988—Millennium of Ukrainian Christianity. May 28th, blessing of the 14 Stations
of the Cross & Vestments donated by Parishioners.
–Blessing of U.C.W.L. Banner
–Blessing at Cemetery , Cross and Gates.
1995—50th Anniversary of Most Sacred Heart of Jesus Ukrainian Catholic Church
Blessings and prayers, Most Rev. Cornelius J. Pasichny, OSBM.
PRIESTS Who Served The Parish
1946-51 Fr. Cyril Lotocki
1948-49 Fr. Jerome Lashkewich, Assistant
1951-53 Fr. Jerome Lashkewich
1953-55 Fr. Basil Woloshyn
1955-58 Fr. Nicholas Sydorak
1959-65 Fr. Stephen Harvanko
1965-66 Fr. Volodymyr Shek
!967-75 Fr. Michael Shewchuck
1975-78 Fr. Dominic Mazun, MSF.
1978-80 Fr.Anthony Chabraszewski, MSF.
1980-85 Fr. Adam Pidwerbeski
1985-88 Fr. Lubomir Ramach, administrator; & other priests
1988-90 Fr. Paul Siska
!990-99 Fr. Leonard J. Romanow
1999-2001 Fr. Roman Ferenc
2001- 2004 Fr.Vasyl Hnatkivskyy
2004 – Fr. Mykola Romanets
Wakaw Sacred Heart Founders
His Excellency Most Rev. Bishop Cornelius Pasichny with Original Founders and Benefactors
Joseph & Mary Holinaty, Hilda Sheremeta, Anne Balone, Elizabeth Scopick, Anne & Walter Chobotuk
UKRAINIAN CATHOLIC WOMENS LEAGUE OF CANADA
1945-46 Wakaw Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish built. A Women’s’ Association was formed to help establish religious, cultural and traditional life of the parish. They held various fundraisers to contribute to the beautification of the church and the purchase of furnishings necessary for worship.
1955 Wakaw Women’s Association becomes affiliated with the UCWLC.
Spiritual Director-Rev. Fr. Basil Woloshyn. President : Michelena Bilosawsky. Sec. Tres. Anne Chobotuk . Twenty seven members enrolled, paying memberships to the Eparchial Exec.
UCWL made monetary and voluntary contributions to the church: painting , roofing, permanent siding, carpeting church and basement, pews, stained glass windows, electric chimes, amplifier, furnishing and upkeep of residence.
Sent delegates to Eparchial Conventions; Celebrated UCWL Day-tags and speakers
Sponsored Sisters to teach Catechism; Communion breakfasts, helped pay for school catechism books; held bazaars, bingo, hamper raffles; Spring bake sales- Easter bread and perogies
1971- Wakaw Homecoming: Ukrainian food booth, parade float with Fr. M.Shewchuk and youth.
Classes on making Ukrainian braided bread and Easter eggs;
Catered to weddings, graduations, parish funerals , memorials
Sponsored High School scholarship.
1979-Lenten Retreat conducted by Rev. Fr. L. Romach with visitation of Statue of Pilgrim Virgin of Fatima by Fr. Gruner.
1981-49 members in UCWL
1983- Continue to purchase needed items for church-vestments, linens.
1984-Furnished room in Lakeview Pioneer Lodge for $2800.00
Responded to Hospital Appeal; sent aid to Brazil
1988-Miraculous Icon of Our Lady of Victory brought to parish.
May 28- Ukrainian Millennium Celebration held.
Blessing of vestments, Fourteen Stations of the Cross( painted by Mary Nagy)
Donated by individual families, UCWLC Banner, Victory Icons for each family
10 members of UCWL receive 25 year certificates.
1992- Declining membership forces curtailment of catering and fall suppers
1993- Rosary Club- 1700 rosaries to Ukraine, 100 to local nursing home, communicants
Support to Pro life, Teen Aid ,Telemiracle, Wreath at Legion Remembrance Day, Restoration of churches in Ukraine , Participate in World Day of Prayer, Hospital and Nursing home visitation, Canvas for Donors Choice, Christmas Shoe Boxes to Ukraine.
1995- Membership drops to 30 ( only half active)
1996- Parish Celebrates 50th Anniversary .Fr. L. Romanow, His Excellency Bishop Cornelius Pasichney, and Deacon Ray Lalach officiating;
Following Divine Liturgy, a gold cross, two icons and Holy water font & sprinkler were blessed.
Founding Members and Benefactors of the church were presented with Certificates of Recognition
2001- UCWL hold a Member Appreciation Day: Divine Liturgy by Fr. Ferenc. Eparchial Pres. Gloria Leniuk presents 25 yr., 30 yr., 40 yr, and 50yr pins.
Attend Eparchial UCWLC 50th Anniv. Celebrations with St. George’s Branch, P.A.
–support relief to Yugoslavia; World Youth Day; Youth for Christ; Mary Duma
Foundation; Sheptytski Institute; Nasha Doroha Reserve Fund; Pastoral Care.
2002- membership down to 16 members
Members attended and acknowledge the enthronement of Bishops Basil Filevich, Cornelius Pasechney; Michael Wiwchar
Past Presidents: 1955- 1982
Hilda Sheremeta 1982-83
Tillie Schitka 1984-85
Anne Balone 1986-87; 92-93-94-95; 98-99-2000
Josephine Mamchur 1988
Pauline Pasieka 1989-90; 96-97.
Stella Buryniuk 2001-02-03
Sally Deptuch 2004-
Wakaw Sacred Heart Church
Wakaw Sacred Heart Cemetery
Bulletins for Cudworth - District Parishes
Cudworth and District Praznyks - 2017
|Location||Date - Calendar|
(Gregorian- G; Julian -J)
|Humboldt, All Saints||May 22 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Adamiwka, Pentecost||June 4 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Sokal, Holy Ghost||June 5 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Cudworth, Holy Eucharist||June 18 (G)||11:15 a.m.|
|Lanigan, Sacred Heart||June 28 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Wakaw, Sacred Heart of Jesus||July 8 - (J)||?|
|Tway, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 9 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Rosthern, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 16 (J)||11:15 a.m.|
|Carpenter (Hory) Ascension||August 11 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Alvena (Farms), Dormition BVM||August 28 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|St. Julien, Patronage BVM||October 14 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Alvena, Archangel Michael||November 21 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Cell: (306) 961-1390
(Rectory) 306-763-3645; Fax: 306-763-5516
Gronlid, St. Michael
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9
Res: 306-937-3767; Cell: 306-317-8138