Wynyard  -Sacred Heart

  Wynyard church of the Sacred Heart constructed 1953-1954; R.M. 308.   WYNYARD — The church of the Sacred Heart is the second church of the parish. The first church purchased for $1,000 from the Lutheran community in June, 1937, was a small rectangular structure with one tower on its left side. It served the parish for sixteen years. When the parish expanded, the church was sold in 1953 and plans were made to construct a larger church. The present church was constructed by Harry Shalley of Goodeve. The church site was purchased from the Saskatchewan Government and donated to the parish by Dmetro Marcyniuk, Hryhoriy (Harry) Stakiw and Theodore P. Bzdel. Judge Michael Stechyshyn of Wynyard assisted in the transaction. Construction of the new church began June 1, 1953 and by November of that year the Redemptorist Fathers from Yorkton were serving holy services in the basement of the uncompleted structure. Construction was completed in 1954. The artistic decoration, icons, murals and ornamentation was completed in 1958 by artist Theodore Baran. The cruciform wooden structure, 68 x 44 feet, has one central and two frontal double cupolas covered with white sheet metal, a complementing shingled gable roof and imitation brick asphalt siding. The church basement is used as a parish hall. In the interior the church has a vaulted ceiling, an elevated rectangular sanctuary with two adjoining sacristies, and a choir loft; the choir loft extends above the vestibule and projects slightly over the nave. Wooden pews in the cruciform nave seat approx. 200 people. The church has electricity, central gas heating and plumbing. Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the church on July 16, 1961 and took part in the parish’s Silver Jubilee on June 10, 1962. At that time the parish also honoured the Rev. Michael Kuchmiak, CSSR, their pastor from 1957 to 1965, for his substantial contribution to the parish’s development, and the late Pavlo Buchko (Paul Buczko), a dedicated member of the construction committee. A metal bell tower with one bell was installed near the church in 1967. Also in close proximity stands an imposing stone monument, apexed by a metal cross, which was blessed on October 29, 1967. Its memorial plaque lists the four Jubilees commemorated that year: The 75th anniversary of Ukrainian settlement in Canada; Canada’s Centennial Year; the 100th anniversary of the canonization of St. Josaphat; and the 1900th anniversary of the martyrdom of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul. The large parish rectory nearby was constructed in 1965 for $40,000 and serves as a pastoral base for the Wynyard district. Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area from other parts of Canada, in particular from the parish of St. John the Apostle at Krasne. The parish was established at a meeting held on March 5, 1937 at the home of Ivan Povoroznyk (John Proznick). The founding members were: Rev. D. Hawryliuk, CSSR, A. Pylypiuk, J. Proznick, M. Kucey, S. Zulak, P. Proznick, N. Bodnar, J. Ostapowich, J. Ostapowich, F. Ostapowich, D. Bodnar, M. Platkowski, A. Bobeychuk, J. Zulak, and T. Ilniski. Plans for construction of the second church were approved on January 25, 1953 and upheld on March 1, 1953, when a construction committee was elected with: Paul Buczko, Joseph Duchnitski, Harry Stakiw, Nick Bodnar and Joseph Proznick. The parish council at that time consisted of: Paul Hiady, president; Dmetro Marcyniuk, secretary; Nykola Bodnar, treasurer; Avksentiy Pylypiuk and Joseph Bodnarchuk, auditors. In 1965 the parish received its first permanent pastors, Rev. Simeon Ivanochko, CSSR, and Rev. Michael Baraniecki, CSSR, (Dedication Wynyard, 1966). In 1941 the parish consisted of 22 members with 40 children (Prop. Knyha). In 1967 there were 130 families (quest.), and in 1975, 460 members were registered from Wynyard and district in a radius of approximately seven miles. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Michael Baraniecki, CSSR., pastor, Lawrence Lazorko, Jack Ostapowich, Steve Leschyshyn and Jake Bartoshewski. The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart at Wynyard is the seat of the pastoral district of Wynyard with satellite parishes at Wishart (farms), Krasne, Holar and Wishart town. The pastors for this district are Rev. Michael Baraniecki, CSSR, and Rev. Leonard Ratushniak, CSSR.

Wynyard Sacred Heart Church

51°46’13.5″N 104°10’47.1″W

51.770408, -104.179747

Wynyard Sacred Heart Cemetery

51°45’53.3″N 104°12’05.6″W

51.764814, -104.201550

Bulletins for Wynyard- District Parishes

Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Rac, Very Rev. Joakim, Dean
Box 1137, Canora, SK S0A 0L0
306-563-5148
 
Dungen, Rev. Warren  Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
306-542-2220; Cell: 306-590-7900
Email: wdungen@gmail.com
 
Yorkton Redemptorist Fathers
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK  S3N 0B9
306-783-4594
Lukie, Rev. Bohdan, C.Ss.R., Pastor Email: blukie@gmail.com
Kushko, Rev. Methodius, C.Ss.R
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, C.Ss.R Email: raylukie@sasktel.net
 
Administrator for Ituna District
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, C.Ss.R
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK  S3N 0B9
306-783-4594
Email: 
raylukie@sasktel.net
Ituna, Sacred Heart (Res) Box 340, Ituna, SK S0A 1N0 306-795-2411
 
Administrator, Wynyard District
Rac, Very Rev. Joakim, Dean
Box 1137, Canora, SK S0A 0L0
306-563-5148
List of Parishes

Albertown - Ss. Peter and Paul

Alticane - St.John the Baptist

Alvena Farms - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Alvena Town - St. Michael

Antonivka - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Arran - St. John the Baptist

Arran-Vesna -Ss. Peter and Paul

Balcarres - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Bankend - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Beaver Dale - Assumption of the BVM

Beckenham -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bedfordville - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bienfait - Ss. Peter and Paul

Biggar - Sacred Heart (closed)

Birmingham - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Blaine Lake - Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Bobulynci - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Bodnari - Ss. Peter and Paul

Borshchiv - Ss. Peter and Paul

Broadview - Assumption of the BVM

Brooksby - St. Nicholas (closed)

Bruno - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Bruno Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Buchach - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Buchanan - Holy Ghost (closed)

Calder - Assumption of the BVM

Candiac - Holy Spirit

Canora - Ss. Peter and Paul

Carpenter - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Cecil - Holy Trinity

Chaplin-Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Chekhiv - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Cudworth Farms -Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Cudworth - Our Lady of Sorrows Shrine

Cudworth Town - Holy Eucharist

Dana - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Dobrowody - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Dnipro (Dnieper) - Transfiguration of Our Lord (closed)

Dysart - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Erwood - Blessed Virgin Mary of Succour (closed)

Estevan - Assumption of the BVM

Fenwood - Ss. Peter and Paul

Foam Lake - Holy Eucharist

Fosston - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Glen Elder - Danbury - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Glentworth - Assumption of the BVM

Goodeve Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

Goodeve Town - St. Michael

Grenfell - Ss. Peter and Paul

Gronlid - St. Michael (closed)

Guernsey - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Hafford - Holy Eucharist

Havryliuke (Prud'homme) - Sacred Heart

Hazel Dell - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

High Tor - Sacred Heart (closed)

Hodgeville - Ss. Peter and Paul

Holar - St. Demetrius

Hryhoriv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Hubbard - Holy Spirit (closed)

Hubbard - Exaltation of the Holy Cross

Hudson Bay - Holy Eucharis t (closed & sold)

Humboldt- All Saints

Hyas Village - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Insinger Farms - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Insinger - St. Nicholas

Invermay - Ss. Vladimir and Olga

Ituna - Sacred Heart

Jaroslaw - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Jasmin-Doroshi - Immaculate Conception (closed)

Jasmin - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Jedburgh Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Kamsack - St.Josaphat

Kelliher - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Kelliher - St.Volodymr

Kindersley - St.John the Baptist (closed)

Kipling - Presentation of the BVM (closed)

Kovalivka-Tiny - Transfigurartion of our Lord (closed)

Krasne - St. John the Apostle

Krydor - Sacred Heart

Kulykiv - Holy Eucharist (closed)

Kuroki - Ss. Peter and Paul

Kyziv-Tiaziv - St. Demetrius (closed)

Lanigan Farms - Sacred Heart

Laniwci - Ascension of our Lord

Lipton-Herzel - Dormition of BVM (closed)

Macdowall - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Major - Patronage of the BVM (closed)

Mamornitz - Virgin of Sorrows Ruthenian Church (closed)

Maybridge - St. Nicholas (closed)

Meacham - Ascension (closed)

Meadow Lake - St. Catherine (closed & sold)

Meath Park-Janow Corners - Assumption of the BVM (closed)

Melfort - Holy Spirit

Melville - St.George's

Model Farm - Patronage of the BVM

Montmartre - Ss. Peter and Paul

Moose Jaw - Assumption of the BVM

Nipawin farms - Ascension (closed)

Nipawin town - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Norquay - Sacred Heart

Norquay Farms - Holy Trinity (closed)

North Battleford - All Saints

Nora - Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ (closed)

Olesha - Sacred Heart of Jesus (closed)

Ormside-Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Orolow - Descent of the Holy Spirit

Parkerview - St. Nicholas (closed)

Pelly-Holy Eucharist (closed)

Peterson - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Plain View - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Podillia - Ss. Peter and Paul Cemetery - (No Church-closed)

Ponass Lake - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Porcupine Plain - Ss. Peter and Pau (closed & sold)

Preeceville - Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Prince Albert - St. George

Prud'homme - St. John the Theologian

Radisson - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Rama - Saints Peter and Paul

Regina - St. Athanasius

Regina - St. Basil the Great

Roadside Chapel near Rosthern

Rose Valley - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern - Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul

Rosthern Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Rosthern Farms-Adamivka - Descent of the Holy Spirit (closed)

Runnymede - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Samburg - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Saskatoon - Dormition of the Most Holy Mother of God

Saskatoon - Ss. Peter & Paul

Saskatoon - St. George's Cathedral

Saskatoon - St. Volodymyr Villa Chapel

Sheho Farms - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Sheho Village - Christ the King

Shipman Rural - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Sich - St. Michael's (closed)

Smuts - St. John the Baptist

Sokal - Holy Trinity(closed)

Speers - Ss. Peter and Paul

St. Julien - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrov) (closed)

St. Philip's - Assumption of the B.V.M. (closed)

Stenen - St. Nicholas (closed)

Stornoway Cemetery (closed-no church)

Stove Creek - St. Elias (closed)

Swan Plain - Ascension

Swift Current - St. John the Baptist

Tadmore - St. John the Baptist (closed)

Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter and Paul

Tribune - Holy Family

Tuffnell Village - Holy Trinity (closed)

Tway Farms - St. Paraskevia (closed)

Tway Town - Ss. Peter and Paul

Uhryniv - St. Nicholas (closed)

Ukrainian Park - Pike Lake - St. Volodymyr

Vasyliw - Ss. Constantine and Helena (closed)

Verigin - St. Nicholas (closed)

Vonda - Sacred Heart

Wadena - Descent of the Holy Spirt

Wakaw - Sacred Heart

Watrous - Holy Mother of God

Watson - St. George (closed)

Weekes - St. Nicholas (closed)

Welechko - Presenation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Weyburn - Holy Trinity

Whitebeech - Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Whitesand - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Whitkow - Ascension of Our Lord (closed)

Willowbrook - Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wishart Farms - St. Michael the Archangel (closed)

Wishart Town - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Wolverine - Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Wroxton-Farms - Ss. Vladimir and Olga (closed)

Wroxton-Village - Ss. Peter and Paul (closed)

Wynyard - Sacred Heart

Yellow Creek - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (closed)

Yorkton - Our Lady of Perpetual Help (St. Mary's)

Translate »
EnglishFrenchUkraine