Beckenham church of the Transfiguration constructed 1940-1944, 9 miles north-west of Parkerview; R.M. 246.
BECKENHAM — The church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ is the second church of the parish.
The first church was constructed in 1911 nine miles north-west of Parkerview. The parishioners first transported the timber to the site, prepared it into construction logs and then, under foremanship of A. Yurchy-shyn, constructed the church. All costs of the construction were covered by individual donations with $10 as the lowest contribution. The small log church, with one central cupola and only the main altar in its interior, was blessed by Bishop Nicetas Budka on August 19, 1913. Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, celebrated the first Divine Liturgy in the church on March 19, 1911. As the parish grew and the settlers expanded their farmlands a decision was made to construct a larger church.
The second church was constructed between 1940 and 1944 under the guidance of the pastor Rev. John Bala, CSSR, and, as in the first church, through the voluntary labour and private donations of the parishioners. The wooden cruciform structure, 62 x 42 feet, has a large central dome apexed by a cupola and two smaller cupolas which project above the frontal towers. It is situated on the highest elevation of the twelve acre hilly and forested site and consequently its silvery crosses and white sheet metal ogee domes can be seen from a great distance. Both the roof and the low central dome have an asphalt material finish (shingled) while the exterior walls have imitation brick asphalt siding. The church is south-north oriented with a south, almost square in form, elevated sanctuary and a north choir loft. The main entrance leads directly into the nave which contains wooden pews seating approx. 140 persons. The interior cruciform ceiling is vaulted; its arcades and four pilasters support the large central dome which is well illuminated by eight windows. There is no electricity in the church while central heating is by coal or wood. The church grounds contain a belfry and a several acre parish cemetery.
Episcopal visitations to the parish were made by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1935 and Bishop Andrew Roborecki on August 19, 1955, at which time he celebrated Pontifical Divine Liturgy in the church. In 1963, with the participation of Bishop Roborecki, the parish commemorated its Golden Jubilee.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1907 from the Yavoriv county. The parish was founded by: Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, D. Yurchyshyn, Iv. Schebel, V. Sche-bel, Iv. Wigerak, Stan Onysko, Stan Dmytro. 01. Rodych, I. Bokhna, M. Dorosh, N. Krywulak, F. Melnyk, Iv. Wenc, Ya. Kokotsky and On. Kokotsky. In 1941 the parish registered 51 members and 184 children (Prop. Knyha) and in 1961 there were 200 souls (Directory). At present, the parish has decreased to 14 families as its younger members have moved to larger centers. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of:
Rev. S. Ivanochko, CSSR, pastor, Peter Premak, John J. Krywulak and William Wenc.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Beckenham, is under the pastoral charge of Ituna.
Beckenham Transfiguration of Our Lord Church
Beckenham Transfiguration of Our Lord Cemetery
Ituna and Wynyard District Bulletins
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Insinger Farms, Ss. Peter & Paul
Jedburgh Village, Ss. Peter and Paul
Plain View, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Administrator Ituna and Wynyard Districts
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
Telephone: 306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Melville, St. George