Bobulynci Church of the Transfiguration constructed 1931, 20 miles north of Wadena; R.M. 367.
BOBULYNCI — TheCchurch of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ is the second church of the parish.
In 1920 the settlers constructed a log hall; in 1921 they altered it to the requirements for holy services. This church thus served the parish until 1931 when it was once again converted into the parish hall “Prosvita” while the parishioners constructed the present larger church. Bishop Nicetas Budka visited the first church in 1921 and 1927; Archbishop Basil Ladyka blessed the present church in 1934; Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions and celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church in 1969 on the feastday of the church patron.
The church is a wood constructed cruciform structure, 50 x 34 feet, with an architecturally complementing shingled gable roof and a large centrally located octagonal white sheet metal dome apexed by a cupola and cross. The exterior and interior walls have wood siding; the rectangular windows have arched summits. The church is west-east oriented. Entry into the church is through a low adjoining porch leading directly into the nave. At the north side of the main entrance, in the interior, a stairway leads to a choir loft extending over the west end area of the nave. The east sanctuary has a south adjoining porch which serves as a sacristy; a second adjoining porch at the south side of the church has a lean-to roof and serves as an entry into the church basement.
The interior of the church is artistically decorated with stylized ornamentation and contains several murals, the central dome is especially very attractive;
this decoration was done between 1936 and 1938 by Paul Zabolotny. The drum of the large central dome dominating the interior contains four windows and is supported by the arcades of the vaulted cruciform ceiling. The church has a wooden floor, wooden pews seating approx. 80 persons and electrical lighting. At one time the church was centrally heated with oil, the central heating facilities were ruined due to flooding and presently the church is heated with a wood burning heater found in the church.
The parishioners constructed the church during the pastorate of Rev. Joseph Fylyma through their private financial contributions and voluntary labour. Construction costs totalled $2,500, chief foreman of construction was Wasyi Huziak. The five acre combined church and cemetery site was also purchased through collective funds.
Near the church stands a log constructed belfry, its exterior is covered with boards; the bell was donated in 1935 by Vasyi’ Yamniuk. The parish cemetery is south of the church. Earlier the site also contained the first parish hall which was dismantled in 1949.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began between 1907 and 1909 predominantly from the Horodenka and Buchach counties. Prior to the establishment of this parish the settlers registered at the neighbouring parishes particularly at Ponass Lake. The founding members of the parish were: Pavlo Kizlyk, Vasyi’ Chorney, Avhustyn (Augustine) Yamniuk, Danylo Yamniuk, Fed’ Yamniuk, Hryhoriy Nicholat, Osyp Nicholat, Vasyi’ Yamniuk, Petro Nicholat, Panko Lysyshyn, Stefan Lysyshyn, Vasyi’ Kanak, Nykola Stasiuk, Ivan Chaykowski, Fed’ Chaykowski, Martyn Chaykowski, Semko Chaykowski, Danylo Zazula, Martyn Zimros, Tomko Zimros, Petro Chorney and Andriy Manastyrski.
In 1941 the parish registered 35 members with 70 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 95 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 12 families were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Andrew Choronzy, acting pastor, Eli Danko, Metro Lysyshyn, Metro Zazula, Ann Stasiuk, Ann Danko, Olianna Federko and Mary Lysyshyn.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Bobulynci, is under the pastoral charge of Wadena.
“Bobulynci”, name of Ukrainian origin originating from the village of Bobylynci in the Buchach county of Ukraine whence came the first Ukrainian settlers in this area.
Bobulynci Transfiguration of Our Lord Church
Bobulynci Transfiguration of Our Lord Cemetery
Kamsack District Parishes - Bulletins & Website
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Insinger Farms, Ss. Peter & Paul
Jedburgh Village, Ss. Peter and Paul
Plain View, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Administrator Ituna and Wynyard Districts
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
Telephone: 306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Melville, St. George