Bodnari church of SS. Peter and Paul constructed 1936, 7 miles north-east of Vonda; R.M. 372.
BODNARI (also Kolo Bodnariv) — The church of SS. Peter and Paul is the second church of the parish.
The first church, a log and clay structure, was constructed in 1906 on the north side of a two acre site seven miles north-east of Vonda. It was blessed by Rev. Emilian Andruchowicz. In 1936, when the parish expanded in membership and resources, a larger church was constructed on the south side of the site which was more accessible. This church was blessed in 1939 by Bishop Neil Savaryn. Bishop Andrew Roborecki honoured the parish with several visitations and on August 17, 1958, served a Pontifical Moleben in the church.
The church is a wood constructed cruciform structure, 46 x 34 feet, with an architecturally complementing gable roof, a large central dome and two small cupolas above the frontal towers. All domes are finished in white sheet metal, the roof is shingled, while the exterior and interior walls have painted narrow wood siding and contain rectangular windows with semicircular summits.
The main entrance into the church is from the south through an adjoining porch. The north area of the church contains an elevated semicircular sanctuary with small east and west adjoining sacristies; the cast sacristy also exits to the church grounds. Behind the main altar hangs the painting of the church patron; on corresponding sides of the main altar, along the lateral walls of the nave, are two traditional paintings of the Holy Mother of God with the Christ Child and Christ Who Loves Mankind. All paintings are glass mounted oil prints. The two nave paintings have small votive altars upon which the faithful place flowers and lighted candles. A choir loft extends above the nave directly opposite the sanctuary and can be reached by a wooden stairway at the east wall of the nave.
The central area of the church, at the axis of the intersecting arms, is dominated by a large well-illuminated dome; all other areas have vaulted ceilings. The entire church has a wooden floor which is carpeted just before the main altar in the sanctuary. Wooden pews provide seating for approx. 80 persons. Lighting is by candles and heating is by a wood burning heater.
The church was constructed by the faithful through their generous voluntary labour and hard earned financial contributions. The church plan was drafted by Slonowsky while chief foreman of the construction was Yosyf Yanushevsky (Joseph Janishewski); construction costs totalled $3,500. The church site was donated by Teodor Bodnar; as a consequence of this and the fact that a number of Bodnar families settled in the proximity of the church, the parish was called Bodnari.
Near the church stands a single bell belfry which was constructed in 1920. The two acre parish cemetery is one-half mile north of the church and was donated by Nykola Kowpak in 1908.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1902 with settlers from the Borshchiv county. The founding members of the parish were: V. Stus, P. Bodnar, S. Mantyka, Kyrylo Hnatyk, P. Kowbel, L. Swidzinsky, F. Bodnar, N. Bilorosiuk, S. Rypchynsky, I. Stachniak and N. Kowpak.
In 1941 the parish registered 14 members with 50 children (Prop. Knyha). In 1961 there were 56 souls (Directory), in 1967, 34 individual members and in 1975, 23 persons were accounted for (questionnaire). In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Lubomyr Ramach, acting pastor, Joseph Bodnar, John Bodnar, Ray Alexandrowich, Patricia Bodnar and Sophie Alexandrowich.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul, Bodnari, is under the pastoral charge of Vonda.
Updated December 2020
The Ukrainian Catholic Church of Ss. Peter & Paul, Bodnari, falls under the Deanery of Saskatoon, under the pastoral charge of the Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Dormition of the Blessed Mother of God-Saskatoon, which is included in Saskatoon & District, with Reverend André Lalach as Pastor.
Bodnari Ss. Peter & Paul Church
Bodnari Ss. Peter & Paul Cemetery
Bulletins & Website for Dormition of the Blessed Mother of God, Saskatoon & District Parishes
Saskatoon Dormition and District Parishes Information
Ukrainian Catholic Parish of the
Dormition of the Blessed Mother of God
Bodnari – Ss. Peter & Paul
Borshchiw – Ss. Peter & Paul
Hawruliuke – Sacred Heart
Laniwci – St. Volodymyr
Prud’homme – St. John the Evangelist
Smuts/Prymove – St. John the Baptist
Vonda – Sacred Heart
Deanery (Protopresbyterate) of Saskatoon
SASKATOON & DISTRICT PARISHES
Administrator - Cudworth District
Administrator - North Battleford and Hafford District
Saskatoon, St. George's Cathedral
210 Avenue M South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 2K4;
Telephone: (Office) 306-664-2301; (Res) 306-244-2604
Cell: 306-370-2866; (Rectory Office) 306-664-3459
Yamniuk, Deacon Myron
10th Street East and Munroe Avenue,
(Church Auditorium) 306-343-0033;
(Res) 1202-11th St. East, Saskatoon, SK S7H 0G3
Telephone: (Office) 306-343-6516
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, CSsR, Pastor
Smolinski, Very Rev. Michael, CSsR, Assistant Pastor
Saskatoon, Dormition of the Blessed Mother of God
120-105th Street West, Saskatoon, SK S7N 1N2
Telephone:(Church) 306-652-4837; (Res) 306-477-1704; (Cell) 306-280-2941
Administrator – Cudworth District
Administrator – North Battleford and Hafford District
North Battleford, All Saints
922-108th Street North Battleford, SK S9A 2A8
Tel.: (Office) 306-664-2301; Rectory Office: 306-664-3459
1338 Stensrud Road Saskatoon, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628