Borshchiv church of SS. Peter and Paul constructed 1947, 8’A miles south of Prud’homme; R.M. 372.
BORSHCHIV — The church of SS. Peter and Paul is the second church of the parish.
The founding members of the parish constructed the first church in 1907 on a hilly two acre site eight and one-half miles south of Prud’homme. The church was a small wood constructed structure with one frontal blind cupola. It was blessed in 1909 by Rev. Emilian Andruchowicz and visited by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933. In 1947 the parishioners constructed a new church on the parish site and converted the first church into a parish hall. Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions and blessed the cornerstone of the present church on September 27, 1953.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure, 64 x 32 feet, which stands on a high concrete basement, has a high shingled gable roof and two frontal towers apexed by cupolas. The walls contain rectangular windows with semi-circular summits. Entry into the church is through a small adjoining porch-vestibule with a vaulted roof. The interior of the church is dominated by a vaulted ceiling and contains an elevated sanctuary with the main altar, sacristies and a choir loft. Wooden pews provide seating for approx. 90 persons. Lighting is by candles only, central heating is by a coal burning furnace.
In 1953, the church was artistically decorated with murals and ornamentation by Theodore Baran; following this, the church was solemnly blessed.
A belfry was constructed near the church in 1907; h was reconstructed and renovated in 1947. Also near the church stands the parish hall; this is the second hall as the first, which was converted from the original church, was destroyed by fire. A short distance away, in continuation of church property, is the parish cemetery.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1905 from the Borshchiv county and thus named their parish. The founding members of the parish were: Pavlo Zmud, Yosyf Boyko, Teodor Sidlowski, Stefan Burtney, Myk-haylo Shewchuk and Andriy Danylchuk. Two years after their arrival in the district the settlers established a parish and constructed the first church. The second church was constructed during the pastorate of Rev. P. Kryworuchka. At that time the parish executive and the construction committee consisted of the following parishioners: P. Kocay, N. Mateychuk, M. Trembicki, M. Bilinski, I. Mateychuk and N. Sielski. Chief foreman of construction was Onufriy Hyshka of Peterson.
In 1941 the parish registered 66 members with 180 youth (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 54 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 12 families were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Lubomyr Ramach, pastor, John Kocay, William (Bill) Regush and Michael (Mike) Sopotyk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul, Borshchiv, is under the pastoral charge of Cudworth.
Borschiv Ss. Peter and Paul Church
Borschiv Ss. Peter and Paul Cemetery
Borschiv Ss. Peter and Paul Cemetery 2
Bulletins for Saskatoon District Parishes
Liturgical Schedule - Saskatoon & District Parishes - May to October 2018
Saskatoon Dormition and District Parishes Information
Ukrainian Catholic Parish of the
Dormition of the Blessed Mother of God
Sacred Heart – Hawruliuke
Sacred Heart – Vonda
St. John the Baptist – Smuts
St. John the Evangelist – Prud’homme
Ss. Peter & Paul – Bodnari
Ss. Peter & Paul – Borshchiw
St. Volodymyr – Laniwci
Saskatoon Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Saskatoon, St. George's Cathedral
210 Avenue M South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 2K4;
Telephone: (Office) 306-664-3459; (Res) 306-244-2604
10th Street East and Munroe Avenue,
(Church Auditorium) 306-343-0033;
(Res) 1202-11th St. East, Saskatoon, SK S7H 0G3
Telephone: (Office) 306-343-6516
120-105th Street West, Saskatoon, SK S7N 1N2
Telephone:(Church) 306-652-4837; (Res) 306-477-1704; (Cell) 306-280-2941