Church of the Descent of the Holy Ghost constructed 1957-1958 in north-easterly Buchanan; R.M. 304.
BUCHANAN — The church of the Holy Ghost is the second church of the parish.
The first church was constructed by the founding members m 1935 in north-easterly Buchanan. The first Divine Liturgy in the church was celebrated by Rev. Stefan Semczuk. The church was a wooden cruciform structure with a small centrally located blind cupola. In 1956 it was struck by lightning and was completely destroyed in the ensuing fire. Between 1957 and 1958 the parishioners constructed the present church which was blessed by Bishop Andrew Roborecki on July 28, 1957.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure, 70 x 40 feet, with two small cupolas above the frontal towers. Its walls are finished in painted narrow wood siding and contain rectangular windows with arched summits.
As an east-west oriented structure, the church has a west main entrance leading through a vestibule; a stairway along the south wall of the vestibule leads to the choir loft which extends above the vestibule; a storage room for seldomly used church articles is found at the north side of the vestibule. The elevated sanctuary with the main altar, prothesis and the church patron painting has two adjoining sacristies which have exits to the church grounds. On corresponding sides of the sanctuary and facing the nave are two traditionally dedicated glass mounted oil prints of the Holy Mother of God and Christ Who Loves Mankind. The upper walls and vaulted ceiling are finished in donnacona painted a light color; the lower wall areas are finished in plywood. The church has a wooden floor, which is carpeted at the central aisle and before the main altar, and contains wooden pews seating approx. 120 persons. Lighting is by electricity, central heating is by gas.
The church was constructed through the private donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners. Construction costs totaled $15,000, chief foreman of the construction was Stefan (Steve) Gulka. The combined church and cemetery site was purchased by the parishioners for $200.
A wooden mission cross was installed near the church in 1945. The wooden belfry nearby was also constructed in 1945; the bell was purchased by the parishioners for $500. A short distance from the church are the parish hall and the priest’s residence which serves as the seat of the pastoral district.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1903 from various counties of Western Ukraine. The parish was established in 1935. Prior to this date the parishioners were registered at the neighbouring parishes in the district. The founding members of the parish were: Rev. Stefan Semczuk, Vasyi’ Kryvy, Petro Matviyiv, Dmytro Wasylkiw, Ivan Hrynchyshyn, Hnat Kuzmar, Andriy Hrynkiw, Stepan Wasyliw, Lev. Kutkevych and Vasyi’ Hrynkiw. In 1941 the parish consisted of 16 members and 13 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 100 souls (Directory) and in 1975 there were 16 families and 11 single members. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Peter Hardybala, pastor, Bohdan Hrynchyshyn, Matt Philipiew, Robert Statchuk, Michael Hnatiw and Anton Tratch.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Ghost at Buchanan is the seat of the Buchanan pastoral district with satellite parishes at Olesha, Kovalivka, Vasyliw and Tadmore. Pastor for the district is Rev. Peter Hardybala.
Buchanan Descent of the Holy Ghost Church
Buchanan Descent of the Holy Ghost Cemetery
Bulletins for Canora - District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
High Tor, Sacred Heart
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Weekes , St. Nicholas
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Glen Elder-Danbury – Holy Eucharist
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Maybridge – St. Nicholas
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Willowbrook, Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Administrator, Wynyard District
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0