Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church, Calder, SK
The Ukrainian settlement in the Calder area began in 1897 with immigrants predominantly arriving from the Kopychryntsi county of Ukraine.
A parcel of land, 5 acres, was donated by Stepahn and Euphrosinia Androniak, six miles Northwest of Calder and the first parish church, a log structure, was constructed in 1904. The parish’s founding members were: Fr. Achille Delaere, C.Ss.R., Michael Sobkow, Stephan Androniak, M. Rohatensky, Matey Nykolayshyn, V. Lukey, Nykyta Fyck, Petro Brytski, Tomko Martyniuk, Ivan Kosteniuk, Dmytro Martiniuk, George Beck, Ivan Shabutura, Ivan Zredlo, On. Bobyk, M. Chopyk, Fred Matsyk, Matey Matsyk, Petro Zaleney, Dmetro Schab, Illya Harmatsky, Petro Novitsky, On. Ewachesky, Yakiv Diduck, Illya Solonynko, Ol. Bebcyk, V. Yasinisky, George Schab, Hr. Mostoway, Petro Mostoway, Dmytro Olynyk, Yakev Fyck, A. Brigidear, Alec Pryslak, O. Wozny and M. Werbowecki. This parish church served the parish until 1911, when the second church was constructed on the same site, east of the first church. This second wood-constructed structure with a tall frontal tower opened by a dome was blessed in 1911 by Rev. Achille Delaere, C.Ss.R. Realizing that the steps of the church were not on the donated property, in 1935 the parishioners purchased another acre of land adjacent to their property on which they added a belfry and the road to the cemetery. This belfry and cemetery is still maintained today on the original church site on the Southeast corner of the . Bishop Niceta Budka visited the parish on two occasions, Archbishop Basil Ladyka made a visitation in 1935. The Redemptorist Fathers held two Holy Missions in this church, in 1913 and 1933.
In 1966 the parishioners constructed at third church on a half-acre site in Northwest Calder. Construction costs of approximately $45,000 were totally met through private donations and parish fund-raising. The foreman for the project was Peter Chyz of Yorkton and the construction was overseen by the church executive and construction committee consisting of: John Yaroski, Steve Balabuk, Tony Sobkow, Metro Rohatensky, Harry Brigidear, Paul Matiniuk, Anne Sobkow, Rose Balabuk, William Mostoway and Peter Brigidear. It is a rectangular wooden structure, 70’ X 30’ standing on a high concrete basement. It has two brick finished frontal towers opened by domes while the rest of the structure is finished in stucco. Contained in the church are two small side altars which were made by Dmytro Huziak. These side altars adorned by the icons of the Holy Mother of God and Christ the Redeemer and the church painting of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary were save from the second parish church and are maintained by the parishioners as a remembrance of their former churches and parishioners. The church basement serves as the parish hall. Outside the church stands an ornamental steel cross which was placed in commemoration of the first Holy Mission held in 1968 with Fr. Paul Maluga, missionary.
The first Liturgy in the third new church was held on October 30, 1966 with Bishop Andrew Roborecki officiating and assisted by Fr. Andrew Muzyka and Fr. Schesniuk, the parish pastor. Bishop Roborecki visited the parish several times and officially blessed the church on August 25, 1974.
Originating from this community were: Sr. Julia Novitsky, Sr. Macrina Anna Schab, and Sr. Volodymyra Victoria Sobkow of the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate.
In 1941 the parish registered 65 members with 100 children, in 1961 there were 250 persons in the parish, in 1975 there were 26 families while in 2003 there were only 12 members in the parish. The parish remains under the pastoral charge of the Redemptorist Fathers of Yorkton.
Calder Farms UC Dormition MG Cemetery
Calder Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary Church
Calder Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery
Yorkton District Parishes - Bulletins & Website
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Buchach – Patronage of the B. V. M.
Buchanan – Holy Spirit
Chekhiv – Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody – Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell – Ss. Peter & Paul
High Tor – Sacred Heart
Hryhoriv – St. Demetrius
Invermay – Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny) – Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv – St. Demetrius
Preeceville – Transfiguration
Rama – Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw) – Ss. Constantine and Helena
Weekes – St. Nicholas
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci - Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnieper (Dnipro), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki – Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi) – St. Nicholas
Fenwood - Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm - Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town - St. Michael
Hubbard – Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town - Holy Cross
Kelliher - St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher – Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Administrator, Wynyard District
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0