Church of the Holy Apostle SS. Peter and Paul in Canora constructed 1960-1964.
CANORA — The church of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul is the second church of the parish.
In 1917 during the pastorate of Rev. Nestor Drohomyrecki, the parishioners built a concrete basement in which they held holy services until 1922. The actual church structure was never completed and the parish forfeited the church basement. In 1932 under the directorship of Rev. Andrew Sarmatiuk, the parish purchased a building and altered it to the requirements of holy services; this church served the parish for thirty years. Between 1960 and 1964 during the pastorate of Rev. Peter Kryworuchka, the parishioners constructed the second parish church. Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the church on July 12, 1964. The Confessor of Faith, His Beatitude Cardinal Patriarch Josyf Slipyj celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church on July 12, 1968.
The church is a massive iron, concrete and brick cruciform structure, 100 x 50 feet, with a shingled roof and five domes; the large central dome and the four domes above the intersecting arms of the structure are covered with dark copper sheeting and are apexed by cupolas and intricately designed metal crosses. The walls of the church, including the drum supporting the dome, contain narrow rectangular windows with semicircular summits; the windows along the walls are combined in groups of two and three, in the latter combination the central window rises above the two on its corresponding sides. The church is south-north oriented. Its main entrance, from the north, is reached by wide concrete steps with wrought iron railings and is sheltered by a portico; the large double doors are framed by arcades which cut through the massive wall creating a decorative effect.
In the interior the church is dominated by the high central dome and vaulted ceiling and contains the sanctuary with the main altar and two sacristies, the nave, the vestibule and a choir loft; entry into the choir loft is by a stairway in the nave. In 1971 during the pastorate of Rev. Canon Jerome Lashkewich, the church was artistically decorated by Ivan (John) Deny-senko. The patrons of the church and parish, the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul, are represented in standing pose on a designed gold background in the large church patron icon behind the main altar; on corresponding sides of the sanctuary, along the lateral walls facing the nave, are similar in size representations of the Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Resurrection. Painted on the ceiling above the main altar are a Greek cross and the Holy Spirit, while the arcade which separates the sanctuary from the nave bears the image of Christ the King; this latter painting is to apex the iconostas planned for the future. Images of the four Evangelists appear on the pendentives below the dome while the dome with its eight windows is decorated with ornamentation and symbols. Dominating the north wing of the church is the trident of Volodymyr and the church of St. Sophia in Kiev; above the choir loft are two angels with trumpets. The supporting pillars, pilasters, capitals, friezes and arcades are decorated with rich stylistic ornamentation; of extraordinary effect is the semicircular combination of wheat and sunflowers in the ornamentation above the frieze of the church accentuated by fluorescent lighting.
The church has a wooden floor with a thick carpet along the central aisle and in the sanctuary, wooden pews seating approx. 250 persons, electrical lighting, central gas heating and plumbing facilities. The finished church basement contains classrooms and hall facilities for the youth.
The parishioners constructed the church through their private donations, donations from various organizations and proceeds from parish fund raising projects;
substantial assistance was given by the Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood; the parish branch of the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League of Canada donated $12,000; the Ukrainian Catholic Youth organization in the parish contributed $8,000. The church plan was drafted by the architect Volodymyr Sichensky; construction was carried out under the foremanship of Michael Yanchynski who was assisted by Alex Dennis, Michael Diakow, Frank Stelmack and the parishioners who, during the construction period, each donated 10 days of voluntary labour. All construction details were under the auspices of the church executive and construction committee and the directorship of Rev. Dean Peter Kryworuchka; the church executive consisted of:
Orest Ratushniak, Steven Kobrynsky, Klym Lazurko, Joseph Kowbel, Roman Swerhone, Metro Chabun, Bill Yakiwchuk, Michael Blahitka, Simeon Korney; the construction committee included: Yustyn Kraychyk, John Romashenko, Tony Ratushniak, Nykola Gushu-liak, Efrem Derow, Steve Ratushniak and Peter Woloschuk.
Near the church stands a belfry with three bells: this is the original parish belfry purchased in 1938 during Rev. John Holowka’s pastorate. Also adjacent to the church is the pastor’s residence which was constructed m 1972 during the pastorate of Rev. Canon J. Lashkewich; it replaced the first parish rectory constructed m 1944 during the pastoral charge of Rev. Myroslaw Kolodey. Directly across the road from the church is the “Prosvita” parish hall; it was constructed in 1934, during the pastorate of Rev. Stephen Semczuk and enlarged and renovated in 1975.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1898 from Volhynia, Bukovyna, Halychyna but predominantly from Chortkiv. The majority of the settlers settled south of the present Canora site; those that settled north of Canora gave impetus to the establishment of the Antonivka parish. Resettlement into Canora occurred somewhat later. Propam’yatna Knyha published in 1941 lists the following as founding members of the parish: Rev. Andrew Sarmatiuk, Yakiv Stratychuk, Wasyi Stratychuk, Ivan Tyshko, Ivan Michalisky, Oleksa Chabun, M. Kowalchuk and M. Kostiuk. In 1905, Rev. Achille Delaere, CSSR, served the first holy service with the parishioners at the family home of Ivan Livytsky; later holy services were held at the family homes of Anton Trach and others as well as in the local Roman Catholic church. From 1913 the parish came under the pastoral charge of the Secular Priests. In 1917 during the pastorate of Rev. N. Drohomyrecki, the first church committee was formed consisting of Stefan Hiadun, Yakiv F. Stratychuk, Yakiv Ratushniak and Vavro Riwny. Under their directorship the parishioners placed the church foundation which they later forfeited due to the then prevalent financial difficulties that also delayed the parish’s growth by ten years. The parish became revitalized in 1932 and with the directorship of Rev. A. Sarmatiuk the successive church committee was formed consisting of Wasyi Stratychuk, Anton Kuzyk, Ivan Kostiuk and Ivan Kardynal; through the efforts of this committee the parish purchased a building and remodelled it into their first parish church. The period between 1932 and 1939 was the expansion period of the parish; growth occurred in all areas and consequently when the difficult period of World War II approached, it did not hinder the parish’s further development. During this time this parish and the surrounding district were under the pastoral charge of Rev. A. Sarmatiuk, Rev. S. Semczuk, Rev. J. Holowka, Rev. M. Kolodey who served as pastor for many years and Rev. Isidore Borecky who is now the Bishop of Toronto. The first church structure, although functional, did not completely please the parishioners who always hoped to construct a large stylistic church; to meet this aspiration a construction fund was established and in time their plans became reality.
In 1917 the parish registered 40 members, in 1941, 30 members with 30 children (Prop. Knyha): in 1961 there were 300 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 305 families or a total of 650 persons were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of; Rev. Canon Jerome Lashkewich, pastor, John Kuzyk, Tomas Wer-bowski, Metro Dutchak, Norman Swerhone, John Yaworski, Clarence Derow, Peter Pura, Walter Shew-chuk, Steve Gulka, John Zrymiak, John Fylyshtan and Adam Kotyk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul in Canora is the seat of the spiritual pastor of Canora and administered pastoral charge over the Antonivka parish during its tenure.
Canora SS. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church
The church of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul is the second church of the parish. In 1917 during the pastorate of Rev. Nestor Drohomyrecki, the parishioners (St. Nicholas’ parish) built a concrete basement in which they held holy services until 1922 (present Legion’s “Dugout”). The actual structure was never completed.
In 1932 Rev. Fr. Andrew Sarmatiuk was assigned to Canora. In that year the faithful of Canora decided to reorganize into a new parish. The parish of SS. Peter and Paul was the result. An empty brick building on Fifth Avenue West was purchased and reconstructed as a church. This church served the parish for 30 years. Between 1960 and 1964 during the pastorate of Rev. Peter Kryworuchka the parishioners constructed the second parish church. Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the church on July 12, 1964. The church plan was drafted by the architect Volodymyr Sichenski. His Beatitude Cardinal Josyf Slipyj celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church on July 12, 1968.
Near the church stands a belfry with three bells; this is the original parish belfry purchased in 1938. Also adjacent to the church is the pastor’s residence which was constructed in 1972 during the pastorate of Rev. Canon Jerome Lashkewich; it replaced the first parish rectory constructed in 1944 during the pastoral charge of Rev. Myroslaw Kolodey. Across the road from the church is the parish hall, constructed in 1934, during the pastorate of Rev. Stephen Semczuk and enlarged and renovated in 1975. The interior of the church is decorated by artist Ivan Denysenko, who also structured a beautiful Iconostasis. 1988 was a “Millenium” year, commemorating 1000″‘ anniversary of the adoption of Chrystianity in Rus-Ukraine. The Canora Parish with Fr. Jerome Lashkewich commissioned artist Ivan Denisenko to reproduce the Icon of Blessed Virgin Mary of Zarvanytsia. In 1988 this icon was set in a massive red marble frame, and became an Eparchial Pilgrimage Site.
Very Rev. Fr. Joakim Rac, Dean of the Yorkton Deanery, is with us since August 2, 1995. All the parish buildings were renovated and beautified: the rectory basement was finished, the schingles replaced, the hall painted, the church basement renovated for the catechism classes and parish meetings, the complete church was washed and painted by Peter and David Pshyk (leaving the original icons and decorations untouched), the doors and windows in the porch replaced, the windows at the dome and the choir loft replaced and all other windows in the church fixed, the church roof fixed, the sound system upgraded, the steps and the ramp recarpeted, the brick sidewalk paved at the entrance etc.
UCWLC and UCYC which started in Canora in 1946, are very active. UCBC started in Canora in 1932 with the start of the SS. Peter and Paul parish. Canora was one of the first to organize the branch. Jacob Stratychuk became the first National President. Knights of Columbus are also very active; so are the members of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress, our Prayer (Rosary) Group, Perogy Bee, Bingo Workers, Catechism Group, Church Elders, Altar Boys, Cantors, Church Choir, Organists, Parish Council etc. The Parish Council members in 2002 are: Pastor Fr. Joakim Rac, President Dave Popowich, Vice President Roman Gulka, Treasurer Albert Biletski, Secretary Sonja Bodnarchuk, Directors Joseph Kowbel, William Trakalo, Jean Zarazun, Mike Spelay, Zenon Diakow, Jack Bartko, Walter Boyko, Nick Yakiwchuk, Ivan Woicichowski, Thomas Dutchak, Past presidents Ernie Kozak and Nat Gulka, Bingo Coordinator Lorraine Naduriak, UCWLC President Genevieve Borys, UCBC President John Fylyshtan, UCY President Tanya Rac, Catechism President Laurie Rakochy, Janitors Steve Borowetz and Eugene Shuya.
Vocations: Rev. Fr. Len Ratushniak, CSsR, Rev. Fr. Gregory Hrynkiw, OSBM, Rev. deacon Jurij Lazurko, Bro. Borys Derow, OSBM, Most Rev. Bishop Michael Hrynchyshyn (Buchanan).
We are very proud of our parish and the entire pastoral district and we appreciate the support and the attendance of all the surrounding parishes and missions. Glory be to God.
Canora Ss. Peter and Paul Church
Canora Ss. Peter and Paul Church Hall/Rectory
Bulletins for Canora-Kamsack District Parishes
Canora - Ss. Peter & Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church - Info
Ss. Peter & Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church
216-5th Ave W, Canora, SK S0A 0L0
Rectory Address: 210-5th Ave W
Pastor: Very Rev. Joakim Rac
Ss. Peter & Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church
Canora, SK S0A 0L0
Deanery (Protopresbyterate) of Yorkton
DEANERY (Protopresbyterate) OF YORKTON
Rac, Very Rev. Joakim, Pastor, Dean
Canora, Ss. Peter and Paul (Res)
Box 1137, Canora, SK S0A 0L0
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist Parish
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Norquay, Sacred Heart of Jesus
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Wynyard, SK S0A 1N0
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Beaver Dale, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
REGINA - ST. ATHANSIUS-MOOSE JAW DISTRICT
Tymishak, Rev. Vasyl
Administrator - Moose Jaw District
Regina, St. Athanasius
(Res) 55 McMurchy Avenue, Regina, SK S4R 3G4
Telephone: Office: 306-543-8008; Cell: 306-519-9030
Chaplin-Thunder Creek, Ss. Peter & Paul
Glentworth, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hodgeville, Ss. Peter & Paul
Moose Jaw, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Regina, St. Basil
(Res) 1747 Toronto Street, Regina, SK S4P 1M5
Telephone: (Res) 306-522-7767; Cell: 306-590-7900