Carpenter-Hory Church of the Ascension constructed 1904, 4 miles east of Carpenter; R.M. 402.
CARPENTER — The church of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1904 and is the second oldest existent church in the Eparchy. Its colloquial name “v Horakh” describes its hilly twelve and one-half acre site donated by Antin Sawitsky. Construction was initiated by Mykhaylo Kotelko and realized through the voluntary work and contributions of the parishioners each donating ten planed logs and ten dollars in cash. Total costs were $400. This church was blessed by Bishop Nicetas Budka in 1915 and subsequently visited by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1932 and Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1956.
The log constructed cruciform church, 30 x 24 feet, has one central dome supported by posts, a tall shingled gable roof and exterior and interior narrow wood siding which is painted white. In the interior the siding is placed vertically at the base of the walls and horizontally in the remaining area including the angulated vaulted ceiling. The east wing of the church contains the sanctuary and elevated main altar which were originally separated from the nave by an iconostas; this was a wooden divider containing royal and deacon doors and decorated with holy pictures donated by the parishioners. Frequent redecoration resulted in the dividers rapid deterioration and consequently its removal. The sanctuary has one north sacristy which also exits to the church grounds. The interior of the cruciform church also contains two side altars dedicated to the Holy Mother of God and Christ the Redeemer, a west choir loft supported by two pillars and reached by a south stairway, and several wooden pews seating approx. 25 persons. Lighting is by candles only and heating is by a cast iron stove. The main entrance has a small roof shelter and leads directly into the nave. The church does not have a vestibule.
A wooden belfry near the church has two small and one large bell; the latter was imported from England and donated to the parish by Mykola Smoliy Sr. between 1910 and 1915 when the belfry was constructed (this date cannot be verified). A wooden mission cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1912 is near the main entrance of the church. The parish cemetery is in continuation of the church property.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1900 from the Borshchiv and Buchach counties and communities surrounding the city of Horodenka. Their first homes were amidst the prairie forests and consisted of earthen huts. There were no roads and the settlers often lost their way in a maze of Indian trails. Within a few years the “Hory” church (the name Carpenter was adopted later) was constructed and became the center of the entire district. Later, as neighbouring parishes became established, more churches were constructed in this area. The first priest to visit this parish was Rev. Strocki from the pastoral center of Alvena. The founding members of this parish were: Antin Sawitsky, Tymko Bureny, Ivan Yanciw, Tymofry Baraniecki, Hryhor Kormysh, Mykhaylo Koteiko, Oleksa Kotelko, Andriy Bambukh, Ilko Mantyka, Matiy Sawitsky, Lesiw, Wasyliw, and Danylo Sawitsky.
In 1941 the parish registered 18 members with 40 children (Prop. Kynha). In 1961 there were 28 souls (Directory) and in 1967, 5 families with a total of 18 souls (quest). At present, the remaining parishioners attend holy services at neighbouring parishes and the church is closed.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Carpenter — Hory, is under the pastoral charge of Cudworth.
Carpenter-Hory Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ Church
Carpenter-Hory Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ Cemetery
Bulletins for Cudworth - District Parishes
Cudworth and District Praznyks - 2017
|Location||Date - Calendar|
(Gregorian- G; Julian -J)
|Humboldt, All Saints||May 22 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Adamiwka, Pentecost||June 4 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Sokal, Holy Ghost||June 5 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Cudworth, Holy Eucharist||June 18 (G)||11:15 a.m.|
|Lanigan, Sacred Heart||June 28 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Wakaw, Sacred Heart of Jesus||July 8 - (J)||?|
|Tway, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 9 (G)||11:30 a.m.|
|Rosthern, Sts. Peter and Paul||July 16 (J)||11:15 a.m.|
|Carpenter (Hory) Ascension||August 11 (J)||11:30 a.m.|
|Alvena (Farms), Dormition BVM||August 28 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|St. Julien, Patronage BVM||October 14 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
|Alvena, Archangel Michael||November 21 (J)||10:00 a.m.|
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Telephone: (Cell) 306-961-1390
(Rectory) 306-763-3645; Fax: 306-763-5516
Gronlid, St. Michael
1338 Stensrud Road Saskatoon, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
North Battleford, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: Res: 306-937-3767; Cell: 306-317-8730