Church of Ss. Peter and Paul constructed 1943-1944, 10 miles north-east of Chaplin; R.M. 194.
THUNDER CREEK — The church of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul is the first church of the parish.
The church stands on a two acre prairie surrounded site and was constructed 1943-1944 and renovated in 1968. Bishop Andrew Roborecki celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church m 1956 and last served a Pontifical Moleben there August 17, 1969.
The church is a small rectangular wooden structure, 32 x 24 feet, apexed by a cupola and cross at the frontal summit of its shingled gable roof. It stands on a low concrete basement and is finished with narrow wood siding. The orientation of the church is east-west;
the main entrance is at the south longitudinal wall while the sanctuary with the main altar is in the eastern end of the structure. In the interior the church contains glass mounted oil prints of the church patron and the two traditional nave icons of the Holy Mother of God and Christ Who Loves Mankind. Wooden pews in the nave seat approx. 40 persons. The church has candle lighting and is heated by a wood burning heater. Near the church stands a wooden mission cross; adjoining the church property is the parish cemetery.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1911. In 1937, through the efforts of Oleksa (Alex) Patrick, the parishioners purchased a two acre church and cemetery site. Soon after this purchase, the site was blessed by Rev. John Tyiawski. In 1961 the parish consisted of 60 souls (Directory), in 1967, 34 souls (questionnaire) and in 1975, approx. 20 individual members. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of: Rev. Canon Myron Pylypchuk, acting pastor, Fred Mackow, Harry Mack-ow and John Zakaluzny.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul, Thunder Creek, is under the pastoral charge of Swift Current.
Chaplin-Thunder Creek - Ss. Peter & Paul Church and Cemetery
Bulletins for Moose Jaw - District Parishes
Moose Jaw and District Parish Praznyks and Celebrations 2016
|Hodgeville - Ss. Peter & Paul||Sunday, June 26 - Praznyk||3:00 p.m.|
|Chaplin - Ss. Peter & Paul||Wednesday, June 29 - Praznyk||7:00 p.m.|
|Glentworth - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary||Sunday, August 14 - Praznyk||3:00 p.m.|
|Moose Jaw - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary||Sunday, August 21 - 70th Anniversary||10:00 a.m.|
Regina Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Regina, St. Basil
(Res) 1747 Toronto Street, Regina, SK S4P 1M5
Telephone: (Res) 306-522-7767; (Cell) 306-520-2841
Tymishak, Rev. Vasyl
Regina, St. Athanasius
(Res) 55 McMurchy Avenue, Regina, SK S4R 3G4
Telephone: Office: 306-543-8008; Cell: 306-519-9030
Administrator for Moose Jaw District:
Chaplin, Ss. Peter & Paul
Glentworth, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hodgeville, Ss. Peter & Paul
Moose Jaw, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Montmartre, Ss. Peter and Paul
(Res) Box 306, Montmartre, SK S0G 3M0
Candiac, Holy Spirit