Cudworth – Shrine of Sorrow of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of St. Demetrius constructed 1948 and relocated 1964 at the Shrine of Sorrow Site near Cudworth.
CUDWORTH — The church of St. Demetrius was the second church of the parish and presently is the pilgrimage church at the Shrine of Sorrow of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Members of the St. Demetrius parish constructed the first church in 1911 amidst the hills and small forests of the three acre site five miles east of Alvena. The church was a small rectangular structure with a small six-sided tower dome at the center of the gable roof. A wood post bell tower stood nearby. Construction of the church was under the foremanship ofFavlo Kukurudza. The combined church and cemetery site was donated by Ivan Pidskalny. In time the parish outgrew the facilities of the church and in 1947 the church was dismantled. Since the original church site was not accessible, the second church was constructed two miles east of the first church on land donated by Vasyi’ Symak.
The present church, constructed in 1948 utilizing some of the salvaged material of the first church, is a rectangular structure measuring 54 x 30 feet with a shingled gable roof centrally apexed by a cross. Archbishop Basil Ladyka blessed the church in the year of its construction. In 1964 the church was moved to the Shrine of Sorrow and was attached to the chapel already present on the site; it was then altered to meet the needs of holy services served in a pilgrimage church. Almost every year, during the pilgrimage days, Bishop Andrew Roborecki has celebrated Divine Liturgy in this church.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in the St. Demetrius parish district in 1900 from the Borshchiv county. The parish was founded in 1910 by the following members:
Pavlo Kukurudza, Yakiv Shawaducki, Mykhaylo Stad-nyk, Mykhaylo Romanko, Vasyi’ Kuzminchuk, Fed. Kowalenko, Yahiv Ivanuch, Petro Symak, Ivan Kapa-cila, Ivan Pidskalny, Nykola Zmud, Vasyi’ Bilorosiuk, Prokip Zabrocky, Mykhaylo Diakiw, Maksym Zmud and Ivan Pidskalny (there were two). The first pastor to visit the settlers was Rev. Paul Sulatycki.
In 1941 the parish registered 20 members with 30 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961 there were 15 souls. In 1964, the year the church was relocated at the Shrine of Sorrow, the parish was liquidated and the remaining parishioners registered to the parishes at Cudworth, Wakaw and Alvena.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Demetrius, Cudworth (also known as Kolo Pidskal’noho because of the original church site), was under the pastoral charge of Cudworth.
The Shrine of Sorrow site encompasses twenty acres of land two miles south of Cudworth. Initially the faithful of this area installed a commemorative cross on the hill where they, in their difficult first years of settlement, assembled to join in prayers. In 1948 during the pastorate of Rev. Cyryl Lotocki, Stations of the Cross were added to the site. Later, a chapel was constructed in which the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows was placed; the statue was blessed in July 1949 by Archbishop Basil Ladyka. The St. Demetrius parish church was moved to the site and joined to this chapel in 1964. In 1960 during the pastorate of Rev. Jerome Lashkewich roads were constructed and new Stations of the Cross were installed.
Pilgrimages at the Shrine of Sorrows are held annually from Thursday to Sunday on the tenth week following the feastday of the Resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Approximately three thousand pilgrims participate annually from Saskatchewan and other Eparchies in Canada.