Church of St. John the Baptist constructed 1937 in south-westerly Fosston; R.M. 367.
FOSSTON — The church of St. John the Baptist is the first church of the parish.
The parishioners constructed the church in 1937 on a one acre site in south-westerly Fosston. Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions and served a Pontifical Moleben in the church on June 5, 1970.
The church stands on a low concrete basement and is a wood constructed rectangular structure measuring 46 x 24 feet. Its exterior and interior walls are finished in painted narrow wood siding. The shingled gable roof is apexed by a metal cross at the frontal summit; a second cross appears at the summit of the adjoining porchves-tibule. The church is south-north oriented with a south sanctuary containing the main altar; an east sacristy has an exit to the church grounds through an adjoining porch. The traditional holy images in the church are glass mounted oil prints. The church does not have a choir loft, the ceiling is partially vaulted while the wooden floor is painted. Wooden pews provide seating for approx. 60 persons. The church has electricity and oil heating.
The parishioners constructed the church at a total cost of $1,000 through their financial contributions and voluntary labour under the foremanship of M. Kowal and V. Schurko. Near the church stands a cross which was placed in commemoration of the Holy Mission directed by Rev. Maxime Markiw, OSBM, and the pastor Rev. Vladimir Flak. The parish cemetery is one-quarter mile south-west of the church.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1909. Initially the settlers belonged to the Bobulynci parish. The Fosston parish was organized in 1935 for practical reasons. The founders of the parish were: Rev. Stefan Semczuk, V. Fiksovych, Fedir Andriychuk, Mykh. Kowal, Mykh. Kucey, Vas. Schurko and P. Kizlyk. Originating from this parish is Sr. Jacintha K. Shymko, SMI.
In 1941 the parish registered 10 members with 10 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961 there were 35 souls (Directory), in 1975, 6 families were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Andrew Choronzy, acting pastor for the district, George Schurko, Peter Kizlyk, Maria Kizlyk, Ann Schurko and Emilia Maryniak.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. John the Baptist, Fosston, is under the pastoral charge of Wadena.