GLEN ELDER — The church of the Holy Eucharist is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1935 on the farmland of Kost Lazaruk. It stands surrounded by prairie eight miles west, seventeen miles north then one mile west of Norquay. The first Divine liturgy in this church was celebrated by Rev. Peter Kryworuchka. Archbishop Basil Ladyka visited the parish in 1936, Bishop Andrew Roborecki honoured the parish with several visitations and last served a Moleben in the church on May 18, 1975.
The church is a wood constructed cruciform structure with a blind cupola at the axis of its intersecting wings. Both the exterior and interior walls have narrow wood siding and contain rectangular windows with slightly narrowed summits. The roof is gable in form and is covered with shingles. The church is north-south oriented with a south main entrance; a choir loft extends above the main entrance. The sanctuary with the main altar is in the north wing of the cruciform structure and has a west adjoining sacristy which also exits to the church grounds. The church patron representation and the two traditional icons, which have small votive altars and are located in the nave on corresponding sides of the main altar, are glass mounted oil prints. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 100 persons, it has candle lighting only and oil heating. The floor is constructed of wood, carpeting appears before the main altar. The entire interior is dominated by a cruciform vaulted ceiling.
Danbury church of the Holy Eucharist constructed 1935, 26 miles north-west of Norquay; R.M. 333.
Parish members constructed the church through their voluntary labour and at a total cost of $1,000 which was covered by private pledges. The parish cemetery is two miles east of the church site.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1912 predominantly from the Borshchiv county. Founding members of the parish were: Rev. Peter Kryworuchka, Kost Lazaruk, John Stasiuk, Joseph Picklyk, Joseph Lazaruk, Yakiv (Jacob) Lazaruk, Michael Picklyk and Dmytro Povoroznyk (Proznik). Prior to the construction of the church, holy services were held at the home of Kost Lazaruk; the parish was initially served by the pastors of Canora and later by the pastors of Arran. The parish chronicles preserve for posterity the names of the parish’s generous benefactors who were John Yagelniski and his spouse, as well as the name of Wasylyna Lazaruk who directed the parish choir.
In 1941 the parish registered 10 families with 25 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 53 souls (Directory), and in 1975, 15 families were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of: Rev. Zdzislaw Karcz, MSF, Joseph Stasiuk, William Chopyk and Nicholas Chopyk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Eucharist, Glen Elder, is under the pastoral charge of Norquay.
The parish is also known as “Danbury” in reference to the postal station of Danbury in the vicinity.
Glen Elder - Danbury Holy Eucharist Church
Glen Elder - Danbury Holy Eucharist Cemetery
Kamsack District Parishes - Bulletins & Website
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
High Tor, Sacred Heart
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Weekes , St. Nicholas
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Glen Elder-Danbury – Holy Eucharist
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Maybridge – St. Nicholas
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Willowbrook, Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Administrator, Wynyard District
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0