Church of the Assumption of the B.V.M. constructed 1926, 4’/i miles north of Glentworth; R.M.44.
GLENTWORTH — The church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1926 on a one and a half acre prairie site four and one half miles south of Glentworth. Bishop Nicetas Budka celebrated the first Divine Liturgy in the church June 16, 1926, and visited the parish again in 1927. Divine Liturgy was also celebrated in this church by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1934 and Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1957 and 1970.
The church is a small wood constructed rectangular structure, 30 x 16 feet, which stands on a low concrete basement and has two adjoining structures. The walls are finished in painted wood siding, the gable roof is shingled; two crosses project above its east and west summits. The main entrance is through the west adjoining porch-vestibule. The adjoining east structure houses the sanctuary with the main altar. In the interior the church patron painting and the traditional nave icons are glass mounted oil prints. Several rows of chairs in the nave provide seating for the faithful. Lighting is by gas lamps and candles. An oil burning heater provides the heating facilities. The church was constructed by the parishioners through their voluntary labour and financial donations. The work was carried out under the foremanship of Teodor Huska. Land for the combined church and cemetery site was dontated by Yakym Klym.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1908 predominantly from the Borshchiv county. Founding members of the parish were: Teodor Huska, Maria Huska, Ivan Sirman (Sherman), Anna Sirman, Yustyna Klym, Yakym Klym, Maksym Sawchuk, Petro Har-dabura, Nastya Karlash, Mykhaylo Wasylyshyn and Vasyi’ (Wasyi) Karlash. Initially the community was served by Rev. John Kolcun, Rev. Emilian Andru-chowicz and Rev. Michael Ircha. Later, successive pastors of the pastoral district administered to the spiritual needs of the parish.
In 1941, 7 members with 6 children were registered to the parish (Prop. Knyha), in 1961 there were 50 souls (Directory). In 1975, 8 families or a total of 32 persons were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of: Rev. Canon Myron Pylypchuk, acting pastor, Michael Huska, Roman Okraincee, Peter Okraincee, Michael Zak, Dennis Wasylyshyn, Bronie Huska, Diane Okraincee, Kathy Okraincee and Peter Sherman.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Glentworth, is under the pastoral charge of Swift Current.
Glentworth - Assumption of B.V.M. Church and Cemetery
Bulletins for Moose Jaw - District Parishes
Regina Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Regina, St. Basil
(Res) 1747 Toronto Street, Regina, SK S4P 1M5
(Res) 306-522-7767; (Cell) 306-520-2841
Tymishak, Rev. Vasyl
Regina, St. Athanasius
(Res) 55 McMurchy Avenue, Regina, SK S4R 3G4
Office: 306-543-8008; Cell: 306-519-9030
Administrator for Moose Jaw District:
Chaplin, Ss. Peter & Paul
Glentworth, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hodgeville, Ss. Peter & Paul
Moose Jaw, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Montmartre, Ss. Peter and Paul
(Res)Box 306, Montmartre, SK S0G 3M0
306-424-2314 Email: email@example.com
Candiac, Holy Spirit