Church of the Holy Trinity constructed 1940, 8 miles north of Goodeve; R.M. 245.
GOODEVE — The church of the Holy Trinity is the third church of the parish.
The first church was constructed in 1909 two and one-half miles west of the present church site and was placed under the patronage of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The first Divine liturgy in this church was celebrated by Rev. Achille Delaere, CSSR, on February 11, 1910. In 1919 the church was relocated to a site eight miles north of Goodeve and converted into a parish hall. The second church, under the patronage of the Holy Trinity, was constructed adjacent to the hall under the foreman-ship of S. Geleta (Gilleta). In 1940, as a result of a windstorm which weakened the church structure, it was dismantled and a third church was constructed by the parishioners under the direction of the carpenters Harry Sulyma and Michael Teslak. During this period the parishioners received extensive support from their pastor Rev. Dmytro Hawryliuk, CSSR. The parish was visited by Bishop Nicetas Budka, Archbishop Basil Ladyka and Bishop Andrew Roborecki.
The wood constructed cruciform church, 52 x 36 feet, has an octagonal dome with a unique cupola at the axis of its gable roof. It is west-east oriented with a west elevated main altar and adjoining sacristies and an east main entrance through the vestibule. The choir loft is above the vestibule and part of the nave and is reached by a stairway from the nave. The interior cruciform ceiling is vaulted and merges centrally into a high well illuminated dome supported by four arcades and pilasters. The church contains wooden pews. Lighting is by candles and central heating is by wood and coal. A metal mission cross stands near the church while the parish cemetery is in continuation of the church property. A second cemetery is on the site of the first parish church.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in 1904 from the Yavoriv and Liubachiv counties. In 1941 the parish consisted of 30 members with 80 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 210 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 14 families were accounted for (questionnaire). In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of the following: Rev. Simeon Ivanochko, CSSR, pastor, Alex Kuliasa, Nick H. Elash, Steve Patron, Bill Machuik and John Elash.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Trinity, Goodeve (farms), is under the pastoral charge of Ituna.
Goodeve Farms Holy Trinity Church
Goodeve Farms Holy Trinity Cemetery
Ituna District Bulletins
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Lukie, Rev. Raymond, C.Ss.R
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK S3N 0B9
Administrator, Wynyard District