Church of St. Michael the Archangel constructed 1934 in north-easterly Goodeve; R.M. 215.
GOODEVE — The church of St. Michael is the second church of the parish.
The first small rectangular church, 36 x 20 feet, was constructed in 1906 one mile south of Goodeve on a site donated by Hnat Yuristy. This parish was especially honoured with a visit by The Servant of God the Metropolitan Andrey Shcptytsky on November 13, 1910. Bishop Nicetas Budka also visited the parish in 1915 and 1925. The church site now contains a small chapel and the parish cemetery.
The present church was constructed in 1934 on a five acre site which was purchased in 1910 by I. Denesiuk for $150 from the Goodeve village. The wood constructed church is in the form of an elongated cross, 70 x 44 feet, and has a complementing asphalt shingled roof which is centrally apexed by a large open dome with a cupola and an elongated metal cross. This central dome cupola and the similar cupolas above the two front towers are covered with white sheet metal. The church is north-south oriented with a south main entrance through a low separately roofed porch-vestibule and a north elevated main altar with two adjoining sacristies. A large oil on canvas church patron icon dominates the wall behind the main altar. It was painted in 1966 by the artist Theodore Baran. Two additional oil on canvas paintings with the standing poses of the Holy Mother of God and Christ the Redeemer are found along the lateral walls of the cruciform interior. These were done in 1933 during the pastorate of Rev. John Bala, CSSR, by an unknown artist. The central area of the church is dominated by a large, well illuminated dome which is supported by arcades and pilasters. Opposite the sanctuary is the south choir loft which is reached through the east front tower. The west tower serves as a belfry. The church structure has wooden pews, electricity and central gas heating.
In 1938 a cross was installed on a small rock mound near the church and commemorates the 950th anniversary of Christianity in Ukraine. The parish hall is a short distance away. The present church was blessed by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1937 and visited by Bishop Andrew Roborecki on August 7, 1955. Rev. Stephen Olynyk, CSSR, was ordained in this church. Rev. John C. Pereyma originates from this parish.
Ukrainian settlement began in 1902 with settlers from the Sokal, Husiatyn and Drohobych counties. The founding members of this parish were: S. Soltys, N. Kushlay, Y. Yarotsky, Yu. Madarash, K. Pereyma, Iv. Denesiuk, I. Prykhitko, Iv. Melenowski, M. Oryshchak, Iv. Maradyn, D. Olynyk, Iv. Kushlay and Hn. Yuristy. In later years the parish chronicle singles out the names of the teacher J. Mudry and T. Saranchuk the organizer and director of the church youth choir. In 1941 there were 40 members with 50 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 335 souls (Directory) and in 1975, 55 families remained. The parish in 1976 was under the directorship of Rev. Simeon Ivanochko, CSSR, pastor, Clarence L. Chemeski, Joe Sedlovitch, Morris Yanush, Fred Petlak and John Zabinski.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Michael at Goodeve is under the pastoral charge of Ituna.
On January 22, 1986, St. Michael’s Church burned to the ground. It was a tragic event that destroyed the church and all of its contents. Many precious articles and records were lost in the fire.
The people pulled together and a new church was built on the original site. The church was constructed by Anaka Construction of Melville. The cost of the church was approximately $150,000. plus contents.
The building of the new church was headed by Charlie Manastyrski as chairperson of the building committee as well as secretary of the parish council. The president was Walter Muzyka. The treasurer was Morris Yanush.
A sod turning ceremony was held on June 22, 1986 and construction began shortly afterward.
The first Divine Liturgy was held on November 23, 1986, with a banquet later that day. Father Leonard Ratushniak, C.Ss.R. was the pastor and assistant pastor was Father Vladimir Korba, C.Ss.R..
His Excellency Bishop Basil Filevich, Bishop of the Eparchy of Saskatoon blessed the church on Sunday August 7, 1988.
In the year 2003 there are 35 members. The present executive consists of Charles Manastyrski as president, Melvin Klus as vice-president, Robert Burak as treasurer and Steve Chorney as secretary.
The Ladies’ Auxiliary committee consists of Diane Petlak as president, Marlene Manastyrski as secretary and Lavona Sedlovitch as treasurer.
Liturgies are celebrated three times a month. Our present pastor is Father Peter Pidskalny, C.Ss.R.
Goodeve Town St. Michael the Archangel Church
Goodeve Town St. Michael the Archangel Cemetery
Ituna and Wynyard District Bulletins
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Insinger Farms, Ss. Peter & Paul
Jedburgh Village, Ss. Peter and Paul
Plain View, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Administrator Ituna and Wynyard Districts
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
Telephone: 306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Melville, St. George