Church of SS. Peter and Paul constructed 1923 in north-easterly Grenfell; R.M. 155.
GRENFELL — The church of SS. Peter and Paul is the first church of the parish.
This church was constructed m 1923 on a 150 x 100 foot site in north-easterly Grenfell and blessed by Archbishop B. Ladyka in 1933. Bishop Andrew Ro-borecki honoured the parish with visits m 1958, 1960 and 1971.
The wooden rectangular structure is on a low basement and measures 42 x 28 feet. Originally it had a small central cupola and a tall frontal tower with one bell. In 1959 it was altered and now has three blind cupolas, one at the front summit of the roof and two above the front towers. The domes, covered with white sheet metal, are apexed by artistically designed crosses made and donated to the parish by Vel Schlamp. The exterior and interior walls are finished in narrow wood siding. The main entrance and vestibule are at the west with a stairway at the north wall leading to the choir loft. In the eastern end of this structure, the sanctuary and main altar are separated from the nave by an iconostas. The church has one sacristy, wooden pews seating approx. 80 persons, electricity and central gas heating. Construction began in the spring of 1923 and was completed in the fall of that year. The parishioners covered the costs, $5,000, by their donations and worked voluntarily in the construction with Peter Kile as the chief constructor. The church grounds contain a belfry with a single bell and a parish hall which was purchased in 1951.
The first Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1897 from the Buchach county. Until 1922 they attended services at the local Roman Catholic church. The first parish organizational meeting took place in the fall of that year at the home of Wasyi (William) Kardash and was attended by Rev. Kaluzniacki, Wasyi Kardash, Oleksa Velestuk, Stefan Radzo, Oleksa Yaremko and others totalling to twenty. They made a decision to construct a church and collected $700 to initiate its construction.
In 1941 the parish consisted of 24 members and 50 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 65 souls (Directory), and in 1975 it registered 20 families. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of the following: Rev E. Tremblay, CSSR, pastor, Nick Kaczmar, Willie Fay, Bill Kardash, John Velestuk.
The Church was reside in 2003 with vinyl siding. The siding is grey with green trim. The men of the parish volunteered their time to install the siding. The money for the siding came from a generous donation and without it; it would not have been possible to undertake such an important project.
In 2003 the parish consists of 8 members and 2 children. The parish priest is Father Andrei Kachur from Montmartre. The executive in 2003 is President – Mr. Leonard Kardash, Vice-president – Mr. Philip Kardash, Secretary-treasurer – Ms. RoseAnne Leir and second cheque signer Mr. Tom Prima.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul at Grenfell is under the pastoral charge of Montmartre.
Bulletins for Montmartre - Southeast District Parishes
Deanery (Protopresbyterate) of Yorkton
DEANERY (Protopresbyterate) OF YORKTON
Simko, Rev. Ivan, Administrator
Canora, Ss. Peter and Paul (Res)
Box 1137, Canora, SK S0A 0L0
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Arran–Vesna, Ss. Peter & Paul
Benito, MB – Descent of the Holy Spirit
Buchanan, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist Parish
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
Norquay, Sacred Heart
Preeceville, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Rama, Ss. Peter and Paul
Swan River, MB – Ascension of Our Lord
Wynyard, SK S0A 1N0
Bedfordville (Stanyslavsti), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Foam Lake, Holy Eucharist
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Holar, St. Demetrius
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Krasne, St. John Bohoslow
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Lanigan, Sacred Heart
Model Farm, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Sheho Farms, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wishart Farms, St. Michael
Wishart Town, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Malowany, Rev. Basil Administrator: Yorkton District
155 Catherine Street, Yorkton, SK S3N 0B9
Our Lady of Perpetual Help (St. Mary's)
Telephone: 306-783-4594; Cell: 306-540-5102
Calder, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Insinger, St. Nicholas
Ituna, Sacred Heart
Melville, St. George
Wadena, Holy Spirit
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Willowbrook, Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary
REGINA - ST. ATHANSIUS-MOOSE JAW DISTRICT
Tymishak, Rev. Vasyl, Dean of Deanery of Yorkton;
Administrator: Regina-St. Athanasius-Moose Jaw District
Regina, St. Athanasius
(Res) 55 McMurchy Avenue, Regina, SK S4R 3G4
Telephone: Office: 306-543-8008; Cell: 306-519-9030
Chaplin-Thunder Creek, Ss. Peter & Paul
Glentworth, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hodgeville, Ss. Peter & Paul
Moose Jaw, Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Regina, St. Basil
(Res) 1747 Toronto Street, Regina, SK S4P 1M5
Telephone: (Res) 306-522-7767; Cell: 306-590-7900
Montmartre, Ss. Peter and Paul