Church of St. Michael constructed 1949-1951 near Gronlid; R.M. 458.
GRONLID — The church of St. Michael is the second church of the parish.
On January 17, 1919, the founding members attended a meeting, made a decision to construct a church and chose their first executive consisting of: Hryhoriy Burlak (Harry Buriock), Peter Klepack, Basel Kuzma, Kerelo Kimmie and Louis Koriski. Ivan (John) Buriock donated a one and one-half acre church site which was blessed by Rev. A. Sarmatiuk in February 1919. Construction of the church began on April 7th of that year. Kuba Gornick purchased the tabernacle while all the parishioners, directed by Louis Koriski, helped in the construction, transported the lumber and raised $1,000 for expenditures. By April 18, 1919 the framing was completed. On Palm Sunday of that year the parishioners, without a priest, were directed by Tymko Bodnarchuk and John Buriock in their first holy service in the church. Subsequently, they met every Sunday and on holy days for prayer services, hymns and Molebni. There were very few priests in this area and they visited the parish once or twice a year (quest. 1967).
Thirty years later, again through voluntary labour and generous donations, a larger church was constructed utilizing the salvaged material from the first church.
The plans for this church were drafted by Joseph Hudyma. The construction, under foremanship of Nicholas Laskowski, and its completion in 1951 is greatly attributed to the pastor. Rev. Ivan Mak, and the secretary and treasurer of the parish executive, William Necember and Petro Burlak. On August 7, 1949, the cornerstone was blessed by Rev. Ivan Mak, Rev. Wolodymyr Iwaszko and Rev. Michael Ferenz, CSSR. Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the church on July 17, 1955.
The church, a wooden cruciform structure measuring 52 x 18 feet, has a large central cupola-dome and two smaller cupolas above the frontal towers. The main altar is in the east. Two side altars, dedicated to the Mother of God and Christ Who Loves Mankind, are along the eastern lateral walls. A choir loft is reached by a stairway originating in the nave. The ceiling is vaulted. At the axis it extends high into a well illuminated, central dome supported by ceilings of the intercepting arms and four pilasters. Wooden pews seat approx. 75 persons. The church is lighted with electricity and has central oil heating.
The church site contains a wooden belfry with two bells donated by Benjamin Chmura and Michael Yadynnyk, a wooden mission cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1956, and a parish hall constructed between 1943 and 1944 and named “Ukrainian National Home in the name of Bohdan Chmelnytzkyj”; the interior of the hall was completed in 1945, after the Second World War, and consequently it became known as “Victory Hall”. The parish cemetery, which is under the patronage of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul, is half a mile north of the church site.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1908 predominantly from Zbarazh county. In addition to those already mentioned, the following are included as founding members of this parish: Kost Kruchkowski, Alex Sen, Nykola Burlock, Anton Yacynick, Wasyi Pelech, Antin Kuzma, Mikita Kuzma and Mikita Pellack. The first pastor to visit this parish was Rev. R. Cherepaniak. In 1941 the parish registered 24 members (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 90 souls (Directory), in 1967, 52 souls (quest.), and in 1975, 43 individuals. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. John Kobelak, MSF, pastor, Peter Hudyma, Harry Bes-korovayny, Mike Necember, William Necember, Alex Burlock, Joe Kochan and Steve Burlock.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Michael at Gronlid is under the pastoral charge of Melfort.
Gronlid St. Michael Church
Gronlid St. Michael Cemetery
Prince Albert & District Parishes Praznyk/Graveside Services 2016
|Prince Albert||April 24||10:00 AM|
|Melfort||May 1||10:00 AM|
|Nipawin||May 8||2:00 PM|
|Prince Albert - Cemetery Services||May 22||1:30 PM|
|Yellow Creek||June 11||2:00 PM|
|Gronlid||June 19||10:00 AM|
|Brooksby||June 19||2:00 PM|
|Silver Pine||July 3||2:00 PM|
|Samburg||July 10||2:00 PM|
|Shipman||July 17||2:00 PM|
|Janow Corners||July 24||2:00 PM|
|McDowall||August 21||10:00 AM|
Prince Albert District Parishes - Bulletins
Prince Albert Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Administrator - Humboldt, All Saints
Saskatoon, Eparchial Substitute Priest - Military Chaplain - Administrator-Humboldt, All Saints
132 Montreal Ave. South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 3K8
Telephone: (Cell) 306-961-1390
1338 Stensrud Road Saskatoon, SK S7W 0B9
Telephone: 306-978-2230: Cell: 306-270-8628
Administrator – Cudworth District
Administrator – North Battleford and Hafford District
North Battleford, All Saints
922-108th Street North Battleford, SK S9A 2A8
Tel.: (Office) 306-664-2301; Rectory Office: 306-664-3459