Havryliuke church of the Sacred Heart constructed 1928, 6 miles south-east of Prud’homme; R.M. 372.
(or Prud’homme “Kolo Havry-liukiv” — The church of the Sacred Heart is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1928 on a three acre site six miles south-east of Prud’homme near Hwy. No. 2. The first Divine Liturgy in the church was celebrated by Rev. Stephen Fedoronko. Archbishop Basil Ladyka blessed the church in 1928; Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions and served a Pontifical Moleben in the church on October 28, 1972.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure with a shingled gable roof and a centrally located blind cupola. The dimensions of the church are 40 x 18 feet which makes this church one of the smallest in the Eparchy. Asphalt siding material covers the exterior walls of the church which have rectangular windows with semicircular summits. In the interior the elevated sanctuary contains the main altar and has two adjoining sacristies. Directly behind the main altar hangs a large oil on canvas painting of the church patron which was painted in 1942 by Stepan Meush. On corresponding sides of the sanctuary and facing the nave are glass mounted oil prints of the Holy Mother of God and St. Nicholas. Directly opposite the sanctuary and above the west end of the nave is the choir loft; it can be reached by a stairway at the south wall of the nave. The church has a wooden floor which is carpeted at the center aisle and in the sanctuary area, an angulated ceiling above the nave and a vaulted ceiling above the sanctuary. Both the walls and ceiling are finished in narrow wood (V-joint) siding. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 30 persons. Lighting is by candles with the assistance of a centrally located chandelier. Heating is accomplished by a wood burning iron stove. The church was constructed by the faithful through their financial contributions and voluntary labour. Construction was directed by Vasyi’ Zadoronzny and Nykola Havryliuk (Hawryliuk). The three acre church and cemetery site was donated by Nykola Hawryliuk whence came the adopted name for the parish. Earlier the site contained a bell mounted on posts; the bell is now missing from the site. East of the church, in continuation of church property, is the parish cemetery.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1910 from the Borshchiv county. The founders of the parish were: Ivan, Yosyf and Franko Tompolski, Ivan Bodnar, Anton Bidulka, Maksym Perozuk, Nykola Hawryliuk and Hryhoriy Wandzura. In 1941 the parish registered 7 members with 22 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 19 souls (Directory), and in 1975 there were 20 individual members. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Lubomyr Ramach, acting pastor, Anton Bidulka, Frank Bidulka, Edward Perozuk, Justina Perozuk and Joanne Bidulka.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart, Havryliuky, is under the pastoral charge of Vonda.
As of the year 2000 we have given our church a complete paint job inside. We also have the way of the cross on our walls, and we have a new gate in front of the church. On one side of the gate it reads the name of our church (Sacred Heart of Jesus), on the other side (Ukrainian Catholic Church). This gate faces the number 2 highway. There are flowers planted in the two outside corners of the church and by the gate. The gate was blessed on July 31, 2000 by Rev. Frank Szadiak, C.Ss.R. and Rev. Deacon Ray Lalach.
On July 31, 2000 the parish gathered on a beautiful afternoon to celebrate the 72nd anniversary of the founding of the parish. This was a joyous day celebrating the history of the parish as well as the present day life of the parish. In the year 2003 we still have one of our founding members as a member. Mrs. Josephine Perozuk is 97 years old, but lives in Calgary, Alberta.
We are very proud and love our little church very much. Our church is being served by Deacon Ray Lalach for the past four and a half years.
Sacred Heart of Jesus (Hawryluke)
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area, south-east ofPrud’homme, in 1910 from the Borschiw county. In 1927 Nicholas Hawryliuk, a local farmer, and his wife donated the three-acre site along what would become Highway No. 2. Nicholas and the other founding members, Ivan, Yosyfand Franko Tompolski, Ivan Bodnar, Anton Bidulka, Maksym Perozuk and Hryhoriy Wandzura and their families donated their time, hard work, materials and money to build the church in 1928.
The church is a wood constructed rectangular structure with a shingled gable roof and a centrally located blind cupola. Dimensions of40’x 18′ make the church one of the smallest of the Eparchy. Inside, directly behind the main altar, hangs a large oil on canvas painting of the church patron painted in 1942 by Stepan Meush. The church contains wooden pews seating approximately 60 persons. Lighting is by candles and centrally located candle chandelier. Heating is by a wood-burning iron stove.
The first Divine Liturgy in the church was celebrated by Reverend Stephen Fedoronko. Archbishop Basil Ladyka blessed the church in 1928. A Pontifical Moleben was held in the church in 1972 by Bishop Andrew Roborecki. Over the years Sacred Heart of Jesus (Hawryluke), nestled on its grassy plot along Highway No. 2, has been the scene of weddings, funerals, baptisms, first communions, renewal of vows, blessing of water and food, candlelit services celebrating the Way of the Cross, prayers of the faithful, happy times and sad. In 1999 the church was designated a Municipal Heritage Property under the Heritage Property Act.
Havryliuke Sacred Heart Church
Havryliuke Sacred Heart Cemetery
Bulletins for Saskatoon District Parishes
Liturgical Schedule - Saskatoon & District Parishes - May to October 2018
Saskatoon Dormition and District Parishes Information
Ukrainian Catholic Parish of the
Dormition of the Blessed Mother of God
Sacred Heart – Hawruliuke
Sacred Heart – Vonda
St. John the Baptist – Smuts
St. John the Evangelist – Prud’homme
Ss. Peter & Paul – Bodnari
Ss. Peter & Paul – Borshchiw
St. Volodymyr – Laniwci
Saskatoon Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Saskatoon, St. George's Cathedral
210 Avenue M South, Saskatoon, SK S7M 2K4;
Telephone: (Office) 306-664-3459; (Res) 306-244-2604
10th Street East and Munroe Avenue,
(Church Auditorium) 306-343-0033;
(Res) 1202-11th St. East, Saskatoon, SK S7H 0G3
Telephone: (Office) 306-343-6516
120-105th Street West, Saskatoon, SK S7N 1N2
Telephone:(Church) 306-652-4837; (Res) 306-477-1704; (Cell) 306-280-2941