Church of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul constructed 1944-1948 in Hazel Dell; R.M. 335.
HAZEL DELL — The church of SS. Peter and Paul is the first church of the parish.
The parishioners constructed this church between 1944 and 1948 on a one acre site in southerly Hazel’ Dell. It was visited by Bishop Andrew Roborecki in 1958 and 1968.
The church is a wood constructed cruciform structure measuring 50 x 35 feet. Originally it had one central dome and two small cupolas above the front towers. The central dome was removed in 1968 and both the exterior shingled roof and interior ceiling were altered to complement the cruciform shape of the church. The two remaining cupolas have white sheet metal domes; the exterior walls of the church have imitation brick asphalt siding. In the interior imitation wood paneling appears at the base of the walls; the remaining wall areas including the ceiling are finished with donnacona and are painted a light color. The main entrance into the church is from the east through a vestibule above which extends a choir loft. The main altar is in the west elevated sanctuary with an adjoining sacristy; behind the main altar hangs a large glass mounted oil print of the church patrons SS. Peter and Paul. Two additional glass mounted oil prints with votive candle stands are found at the north and south lateral walls facing the nave and are traditionally dedicated to the Holy Mother of God and Christ Who Loves Mankind. Wooden pews in the nave provide seating for approx. 125 persons. The church has a wooden floor, which is carpeted at the central aisle and throughout the sanctuary area including the sacristy, and electricity and central oil heating. Construction costs of the church totalled $10,000, and were covered by the financial contributions and voluntary labour of the parishioners who worked under the foremanship of P. Vestovsky (Westowski).
Near the church stands a wooden cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1955 and adjacent to it a wooden belfry was constructed in 1958. The bell was donated by Michael Malovany. Also near the church, a parish hall was constructed in 1954. The one acre parish cemetery site is one-quarter mile south of the church. Both the church and cemetery site were purchased by the parishioners through collective funds.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1904. Settlement in the village began in 1921 predominantly from the countryside around the Chekhiv parish. They formed a parish under the leadership of Rev. Peter Pasichnyk during the construction of the church and selected their first parish executive of: Mykola Maren-chuk, president; Wasyi Knysh, secretary; Dominic Zayachkowski, financial secretary; Andriy Pasiechnyk, executive member. From the earliest beginnings of the parish, the ladies were united m theWomen’s Church Auxiliary; during the construction of the church and in succeeding years they became a strong organizational force responsible for securing all the necessary instruments and efficiently maintaining the church. The parish had 20 founding members. In 1961 there were 45 souls (Directory) and in 1975 there were 110 individual members (questionnaire). The parish in 1976 was under the directorship of Rev. Casimir Kucharek, acting pastor for the pastoral district, Martin Prosko, Peter Radawetz, Eudoxia Maczek, Katherine Pasiechnik and Peter Yacyshyn.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul at Hazel Dell is under the pastoral charge of Preeceville.
Hazel Dell Ss. Peter & Paul Church
Hazel Dell Ss. Peter & Paul Cemetery
Bulletins for Canora - District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
High Tor, Sacred Heart
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Weekes , St. Nicholas
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Glen Elder-Danbury – Holy Eucharist
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Maybridge – St. Nicholas
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Willowbrook, Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Administrator, Wynyard District
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0