Church of the Holy Spirit constructed 1910, 4 miles north-east of Hubbard; R.M. 246.
HUBBARD — The church of the Holy Spirit is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1910, enlarged and renovated in 1919, on a three acre site four miles north-east of Hubbard. The first Divine Liturgy in the church was celebrated on April 12, 1911 by Rev. Noel Marie Descamps, CSSR. The church was blessed by Bishop Nicetas Budka on August 16, 1913. Subsequent episcopal visitations took place in 1937 by Archbishop Basil Ladyka and in 1965 by Bishop Andrew Roborecki.
The wooden church is in the form of an elongated cross with a large low central dome apexed by a three-armed metal cross. The dome and its projecting cupola are covered with white sheet metal, the roof is shingled and the walls have imitation brick asphalt siding. The church is east-west oriented with an east elevated main altar which is separated from the nave by an iconostas. The ceiling is vaulted and extends into the large central dome. There is no choir loft. Wooden pews provide seating for approx. 40 persons. The church has central coal heating and lighting by candles. A cross, commemorating a Holy Mission and a wooden post bell tower are found near the church. The parish cemetery is east of the church on parish property.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1908 from the Zbarazh county. The founding members of this parish were: Rev. Achille Delaere, CSSR, M. Hnylycia, N. Harasym, M. Musyj, Dmytro Ambroz, N. Hnylycia, A. Zadorizhny, N. Filko, M. Wawruck, Iv. Kresowaty, Iv. Gedzelwych, S. Turchinsky, Iv. Kovalchuk, M. Winnisky and Iv. Zadorozhny. The church was constructed through $20 donations from each of the parishioners who also worked voluntarily in the construction.
In 1941 the parish consisted of 38 members and 110 children (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 125 souls (Directory) and in 1975 there were 18 families (quest.). In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Simeon Ivanochko, CSSR, pastor, John Flinta, Orest Zrymiak, Nick Holowatiuk, Emil Musyj, Nick Chorney and William Zenkewich.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Spirit, Hubbard, is under the pastoral charge of Ituna.