Church of the Holy Eucharist constructed 1966-1967 in southerly Hudson Bay; R.M. 944.
2016 – The Holy Eucharist Church at Hudson Bay was sold on December 9, 2016, but exists as a Parish with services at the Roman Catholic Church of St. Dominic, under the pastoral charge of Yorkton Deanery – Canora District,, with Very Rev. Joakim Rac as Pastor.
HUDSON BAY — The church of the Holy Eucharist is the second church of the parish.
The first church, under the patronage of St. George, was constructed in 1937 near the community railway station. Construction was carried out by the founders of the parish under the directorship of Rev. Peter Kryworuchka. The church was a small log structure with a central dome and only the main altar in the interior; in 1944 it was enlarged and an adjoining structure was added which served as the pastor’s residence. This church served the parish until 1965. That year a decision was made to construct a larger church and consequently the first church and site were sold.
Construction of the second church, on a three lot site in southerly Hudson Bay, began in 1966 and was completed in 1967. The first Divine Liturgy in the yet uncompleted church structure was celebrated by Rev. Walter Kostiuk on August 29, 1966. On August 13, 1967 Bishop Andrew Roborecki blessed the church crosses, which were later installed above the domes, and consecrated the church on August 31, 1969, This newly constructed church was placed under the patronage of the Holy Eucharist.
The wood constructed rectangular church, 70 x 34 feet, stands on a high concrete basement, has narrow rectangular stained glass windows and two frontal towers apexed by cupolas. The interior is finished with a combination of gyproc and donnacona. The open elevated sanctuary with the main altar has two adjoining sacristies which exit to the church grounds. A large glass mounted oil print of the Last Supper hangs on the wall directly behind the main altar; on corresponding sides of the sanctuary facing the nave are two additional glass mounted oil prints of Our Lady of Perpetual Help and Christ Who Loves Mankind. The main entrance into the church is from the north through a vestibule. Stairways along the west wall of the vestibule lead to the choir loft and church basement which serves as a parish hall, A room for parents with small children is found along the east wall of the vestibule; adjoining this room are built-in confessionals which are beneath the choir loft and are entered from the nave. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 200 persons, has electricity, central gas heating and plumbing facilities.
Construction costs totalled approx. $25,000 and were covered by the private donations of the parishioners and proceeds from various fund raising projects organized by the women of the parish. Chief foreman of the construction was William Latta who was assisted by Tony Kurdyna. All construction details were under the auspices of the construction committee consisting of:
William Latta, Frank Gulka, Peter Foga, Steve Stru-tynski, William Kapacilla, Joseph Krochak and Steve Borowetz. Assisting the construction committee were:
Peter Lendzyk, Zenon Diakow, Mike Paslowski, Bill Nowasad, Tony Duhnitski, Ted Ronn, John Borowetz Sr., John Borowetz Jr., Harry Adams, Harry Gel, Alex Bzdell and Steve Pshyk.
In 1971 a mission cross was placed near the church in commemoration of the Holy Mission directed by Rev. Michael Schudio, CSSR. The parish rectory, a short distance away, was constructed in 1972. Both the church and rectory were constructed during the pastorate of Rev. Walter Kostiuk.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in the Hudson Bay district in 1925 predominantly from the Borshchiv and Liubachiv counties; additional settlement growth occurred between 1927 and 1935. The founders of the parish were Rev. Peter Kryworuchka, Iv. Fedory, D. Moshenko, Iv. Borowetz, F. Gogol, V. Oleksevych (Oleksewich), V. Pastukh (Pastuch), V. Moshenko, N. Rosky, P. Saranchuk and others.
From its earliest beginnings the Hudson Bay parish was the seat of the pastoral district serving the mission posts of Erwood, Prairie River, including the Manitoba mission posts ofFlin Flon, Sheridon and The Pas parish. In 1941 the parish registered 12 members with 25 children (Prop. knyha), in 1961, 100 souls (Directory), in 1967, 154 persons, and in 1975, 150 persons were accounted for (questionnaire). In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Rev. Walter Kostiuk, pastor, Peter Foga, Frank Gulka, Victor Shewchuk, Steve Pshyk, William Pirozok, Katherine Duhnitski, Irene Gogol, Mary Gulka, Jean Paslowski, Marcia Shewchuk, Edith Kowall, Angela Pirozok, Doris Latta, Stella Cherkowski, Margaret Nowasad, Nellie Dembisky, Sophie Palaniuk, Rose Matiasz, Anna Fedak, Martha Bejcar, Helen Adams, Sophie Matiasz, Steve Strutynski and Tony Kurdyna.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Holy Eucharist at Hudson Bay is the seat of the pastoral district of Hudson Bay with satellite parishes at Porcupine Plain and High Tor; during their tenure, the Erwood, Weekes and Prairie River parishes were also under the pastoral charge of Hudson Bay. Pastor of the district is Rev. Walter Kostiuk.
2016 – The Holy Eucharist Church at Hudson Bay was sold on December 9, 2016, but exists as a Parish with services at the Roman Catholic Church of St. Dominic, under the pastoral charge of Yorkton Deanery, with Very Rev. Joakim Rac as Pastor.
Hudson Bay - Holy Eucharist Cemetery
Bulletins for Canora - District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Buchach – Patronage of the B. V. M.
Buchanan – Holy Spirit
Chekhiv – Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody – Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell – Ss. Peter & Paul
High Tor – Sacred Heart
Hryhoriv – St. Demetrius
Invermay – Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny) – Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv – St. Demetrius
Preeceville – Transfiguration
Rama – Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw) – Ss. Constantine and Helena
Weekes – St. Nicholas
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci - Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnieper (Dnipro), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki – Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi) – St. Nicholas
Fenwood - Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm - Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town - St. Michael
Hubbard – Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town - Holy Cross
Kelliher - St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher – Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Administrator, Wynyard District
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0