Church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit constructed 1954 in southerly Hyas; R.M. 303.
HYAS — The church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost) is the first church of the parish.
The parishioners constructed the church in 1954 on a two lot site m southerly Hyas. The first Divine Liturgy in the church was celebrated by Rev. Vladimir Flak. Bishop Andrew Roborecki visited the parish on several occasions, blessed the cornerstone of the church on June 24, 1956 and last celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church May 18, 1975.
The church, a masonry brick structure which stands on a high concrete basement, is rectangular in form and measures 60 x 30 feet. It has a shingled gable roof and two front towers which, according to the architectural plans, will be apexed by small cupolas; the front wall between the two towers rises in semicircular form above the apex of the roof. The walls contain rectangular windows with arched summits; above the main entrance a painted one-armed cross decorates the area between two such windows. The church is north-south oriented with a south main entrance reached by a high stairway; two additional entries are found at the base of the towers on corresponding sides of the main entrance. In the interior the church walls have a plaster finish, the floor is wooden and is covered with linoleum, the ceiling is high and vaulted. Contained in the interior are: an elevated sanctuary with the main altar, two sacristies with access to the church basement and church grounds, and a choir loft which is reached by a stairway originating at the east side of the nave. Traditional representations of the church patron, the Holy Mother of God with the Christ Child, and Christ Who Loves Mankind are glass mounted oil prints. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 125 persons; it has electrical lighting, central gas heating and plumbing facilities. The church basement has been finished and contains hall and kitchen facilities. Construction of the church was realized through the private donations of the parishioners and carried out under the auspices of the church committee which also served as the construction committee; members of this committee were: Rev. Vladimir Flak, pastor, Dmytro (Metro) Huska, Paul Cheremcora, Michael Picklyk, Onufrey Maydan, Ivan (John) Maydan and Michael Matsala. During the construction the committee and the parishioners faced some setbacks as part of the walls collapsed during a severe windstorm. Adjacent to the church stands a wooden cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1963.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1904 predominantly from the Borshchiv county. The first holy services were held at the Kukura home as well as in the homes of Michael and John Yagelniski. Later, until the formation of the Hyas parish, the faithful attended holy services at the neighbouring parishes of Norquay farms, Antonivka and Ormside-Danbury. The parish was formed and the first church committee was selected in 1948 under the directorship of Rev. V. Flak; from this date to the construction of the church, holy services were held at the community hall.
In 1961 the parish registered 110 souls (Directory), in 1975, 18 families or a total of approx. 40 persons were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of: Rev. Zdzislaw Karcz, MSF, pastor, Joseph Yagelniski, Paul Cheremcora, Joanne Yagelniski and Michael Picklyk.
Originating from the Hyas parish is Sr. Celestine Margaret Lozinsky, SMI.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Descent of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost) at Hyas is under the pastoral charge of Norquay.