Insinger – St. Nicholas
Church of St. Nicholas constructed 1931, 2’/2 miles south-west of Insinger; R.M. 275.
INSINGER — The church of St. Nicholas is the third church of the parish.
The first church, 12 x 12 feet, was constructed in 1904 by the Ukrainian Catholic and Ukrainian Orthodox settlers from Bukovyna. In 1911 this chapel-church was replaced by a larger structure at a total cost of $1,400. On April 14,1931 the second church was destroyed by fire. That year the parishioners constructed the present church.
Bishop Nicetas Budka visited the parish on three occasions and blessed the second church in 1913. The present church was visited by Archbishop Basil Ladyka in 1933; it was consecrated by Bishop Neil Savaryn on August 26, 1945. Bishop Andrew Roborecki honoured the parish with several visitations, the latest one took place on August 31, 1975.
All three churches were constructed through the private donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners. The present church was constructed for a total sum of $3,000; construction foreman was A. Chorny of Goodeve. The church is a cruciform wooden structure, 60 x 40 feet, and has an architecturally complementing shingled gable roof. A tall front tower extends above the main entrance and is apexed by a dome containing a bell. The interior is dominated by a vaulted ceiling; the one main altar is in the sanctuary with adjoining sacristies; the choir loft extends above the vestibule. Wooden pews in the nave provide seating for approx. 100 parishioners.
The church is electrically lighted and has a central wood burning system.
Near the church stands a wooden memorial cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1930.
The parish hall, also nearby, was constructed in 1929 and named “The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Hall”. Also included on the site is the parish cemetery. The ten acre forest bordered church and cemetery site was donated by Ivan (John) Haliuk.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1898 predominantly from the village of Volkivtsi in the Borshchiv county. The parish was established in 1904; together with Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, the founding members were: Ivan Haliuk, Petro Haliuk, S. Haliuk, Ivan Snihur, M. Sprinzhynatyk, Matey Sawchuk, Matey Vivcianyk, Semen Kovalchuk, M. Tsybulsky, Dmytro Tymofiy, Yurko Petranych, Dats Matey, V. Pyndus, Semen Haliuk, T. Kuropatva, Iv. Vivcianyk, V. Piho-vych, Iv. Zatvardnitsky, S. Tymofiy, Y. Tsybulsky, Havryil Tsybulsky, Iv. Soroka, Havryil Kryvutsky, Y. Hudyma, Semen Valchak (Walchuk), On. Tsybulsky, Pavlo Medvid, Yakym Fedorchuk, Iv. Medvid, Porfir Voroshylo, Iv. Panchuk, V. Kuropatva, Pylyp Fedorchuk, V. Boytsun, Pavlo Vivcianyk, 0. Pihovych and Petro Vivcyanyk. The first Divine Liturgy of the parish was celebrated by Rev. A. Delaere, CSSR, on February 25, 1904 at the home of Ivan Haliuk.
In 1941 the parish consisted of 50 members with 70 children (Prop. Knyha). In1961 there were 120 souls (Directory), in 1967, 20 families and and in 1975, 19 families and four single members remained. The parish in 1976 was under the directorship of Rev. Roman Muzychka, CSSR, pastor, Bill Sabulsky, Andrew Sa-bulsky, Andrew Hnatuk, Joseph Timoffee and Michael Sabulsky.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Nicholas at Insinger is under the pastoral charge of Yorkton.
Dedication to the Founding Members of St. Nicholas ParishInsinger, Saskatchewan:
The beginnings of St. Nicholas Parish date back to 1904, when the Redemptorist ‘Fathers of Yorkton began to celebrate Divine Liturgy for the Ukrainian settlers in this area. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated by Father Achilles Delaere, C.Ss.R. At first, the divine services were held in the private homes of Simon Kowalchuk, Demetrius Timoffee, Michael Sebulskj and Wasyl Boytson. Later a chapel 12 x 12 feet was built on the farm of John Haluik by Ukrainian Settlers from Western Ukraine and Bukovina. It served as a place of community worship for a number of years until it was replaced by a larger structure in 1911 at a cost of $1,400. This was the first church dedicated to St. Nicholas. Unfortunately, it was destroyed by fire on April 14, 1931.This tragedy was a great shock and loss to all the parishioners. However, through generous donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners a new church was built that same year for $3,000.Which stands as a landmark today 2 ½ miles west of Insinger. The foreman and supervisor of the new church was A. Chorney of Goodeve, Saskatchewan.Bishop Nicetas Budka blessed the church in 1913. Archbishop Basil Ladyka, OSBM., visited the church in 1933. Bishop Neil Savaryn, OSBM., visited the parish in 1945. Bishop Andrew Roberecki visited this parish on several occasions. Bishop Basil Filevich pontificated on Sunday October 9, 1988, and blessed the memorial beside the church on the occasion of the Millennium of Christianity in Ukraine. Bishop Filevich also visited the parish in 1991 on occasion of Ukrainian Centennial as well as in 1994 on the occasion of 90th Anniversary.
The foundings members of St. Nicholas Parish were:
Delare, Father Achilles
Panchuk, John & Katherine
Boytson, Wasyl & Olena
Petranych, George & Anna
Daciw, Matey & Mary
Pihowich, Alex & Dora
Fedorchuk., James & Effie
Pihowwich, Frank & Mary
Fedorchuk, Philip & Katherine
Pindus, Wasyl & Anna
Haliuk, John & Anna
Sawchuk , Matey & Barbara
Haliuk, Peter & Oksana
Haliuk, Sam & Annie
Sebulski, Joseph & Anne
Hudyma, Joe & Mary
Sabulski, Michael & Sophia
Koropatwa, Bill & Olena
Sebulski, Neil & Oksana
Koropatwa, Fred & Magda
Sebulsky, Frank & Rosie
Kowalchuk, Simeon & Anne
Sniher, John & Anna
Krawesky, Hawrylo & Mary
Soroka, John & Barbara
Medvid, John & Ann
Springinatic, Michael & Tetiana
Medvid, Paul & Gafia
Timoffee, Dmytro & Katie
Oshenak, John & Kitza
Timoffee, Steve & Anna
Oshenak, Peter & Oksana
Walchuk, Sam & Olana
Oshenak, Paul & Nellie
Woroshelo, Profirko & Lucy
Oshenak, Matey & Todosia
Zatwarmitsky, John & Anatasia
May their Memory Remain with us Forever!
Ukrainian settlers arrived in this area in 1988 predominantly from the village of Volkivtsi in the Borshchiv country.
St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Parish Insinger, Saskatchewan:
1904 – First church built 12′ x 12′ feet.
1911 – Chapel church replaced by larger structure at cost of $1,400.00
1931 – Present church construction for total sum of $3000.00All three churches were constructed through the private donations and voluntarylabour of the parishioners.
1927 – Parish built the Hall
1979 – Parish celebrated 75th Anniversary of Parish Bishop Andrew Roborecki
1985 – Wrought Iron steps for front and back of church made and installed.
1986 – Complete renovations of Parish Hall.
1988 – Wrought Iron gates made and installed to entrance of church.
1990 – 1991 – Yard fenced and wrought iron gates made and installed for entrance to hall.
1994 – 90th Anniversary of Parish held July 31st – Aug 1st. 1994 with very good attendance of members and descendants, Bishop Basil Filevich celebrated Divine Liturgy.2000 – Completion of upgrading of the cemetery.2002 – Purchased and installed ramp for church.
Vocations from St. Nicholas Parish
1898 – Sister Teckla, Justina Daciw, SSMI
1981 – Sister Raphael, Mary Saraka, SSMI
1915 – 2003 Sister Euphrozyna, Justina Wiloshyn, SSMI
1907 – 1990 Sister Florence, Antonia Wus, SSMI
1904 – 1990 Bishop’s Visitations
1913 – Bishop Nicetas Budka
1933 – Archbishop Baskil Ladyka
1945 – Bishop Neil Savaryn-Bishop Andrew Roborecki – made several visits and celebrated 75th Anniversary of Parish in
1979 – Bishop Basil Filevich, D.D. visited in 1988, 1991, and in 1994 celebrated 90th Anniversary of Parish.
Bishop Michael Wiwchar will visit parish July 31st – Aug. 1st 2004 celebrating 100th Anniversary of Parish
Renovations, upkeep of church, hall and cemetery all done by volunteer labour of parishioners
.– Church, hall and cemetery very well kept.
-Church and hall heated by oil furnaces.
– Church and hall have vinyl siding.
– Parish under pastoral care of Redemptorist Fathers of Yorkton, Saskatchewan.
– The parish in 2003 is under the directorship of Redemptorist Fathers, Yorkton, Sask.Emil Sebulski, Andy Sebulski, Andy Hnatuik, Michael S. Medvid and Bill N. Medvid. Ladies committee Mary Sebulski, Violet Medvid and Violet Hnatuik.
– The Ukrainian Catholic parish of St. Nicholas at Insinger is under the pastoral charge of Yorkton.
Fund-Raisers of the Parish
– in early years of parish plays, dances and pie socials were held.
– Bingos & Bake Sales
– Published cookbook on occasion of Ukrainian Centennial
– dedicated to the pioneers of Parish
.– Published a History book of Parish on the occasion of the 90th Anniversary of Parish.
– Published a second cookbook on the occasion of the 90th Anniversary of the Parish.
Insinger St. Nicholas Church and Cemetery
Yorkton District Parishes - Bulletins & Website
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
High Tor, Sacred Heart
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Weekes , St. Nicholas
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Glen Elder-Danbury – Holy Eucharist
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Maybridge – St. Nicholas
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Willowbrook, Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Administrator, Wynyard District
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0