Invermay – Ss.Vladimir and Olga
Invermay church of SS. Vladimir and Olga constructed 1953; R.M. 305.
INVERMAY — The church of SS. Vladimir and Olga is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1953 on a four lot site in south-westerly Invermay. Bishop Andrew Roborecki made several episcopal visitations to the parish and blessed the church on September 15, 1957.
The rectangular wooden church, 52 x 26 feet, stands on a high concrete basement, has an asphalt shingled gable roof apexed by a small frontal dome supported by small quadrilateral posts; two similar domes are above the east and west frontal towers. At the base of the towers entries lead into the church basement which serves as a parish hall with classroom and kitchen facilities. The entire structure is covered with imitation brick asphalt siding and has rectangular, arched at the top, windows; a series of three such windows appears above the main door of the high and semi-circular front wall.
In the interior the three principal areas of the church are dominated by a vaulted ceiling and consist of an elevated sanctuary and main altar with east and west adjoining sacristies, the nave with wooden pews seating approx. 150 persons, and a vestibule above which extends the choir loft. The structure has electricity, central heating and plumbing facilities. Construction of the church, total costs $14,000, was accomplished through the financial donations and voluntary labour of the parishioners under the foremanship of Michael Hrywka of Tadmore.
Adjacent to the church stands a wooden memorial cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1959. The parish cemetery site is one mile south-west of the church.
Ukrainian settlers arrived in Invermay and surrounding district in 1912 from the village ofKulykiv in Ukraine. Prior to the establishment of the parish at Invermay in 1950, they registered at the neighbouring parish of Kulykiv. The parish had fifteen founding families through whose efforts construction of the parish church was realized. In 1961 the parish registered 120 souls (Directory); in 1975 there were 28 families and three single members. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of Rev. Casimir Kucharek, pastor, John Zazula, Stephen Potorieko, Eugene Fedik, Michael Fedik and William. Puryk.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Vladimir and Olga at Invermay is under the pastoral charge of Rama.
55. Vladimir & Olga Ukrainian Catholic Church
1953 Iniwlay, Saskatchewan 2003
The beginning of this parish can be traced back to an organizational meeting held at the home of Mike and Elene Peshko on the 29th of July 1950, directed by Rev. Father 0. Pasichniak. The first parish executive elected at this meeting were as follows: William Mula, president; Sam Zawyruka, vice president; Walter Shinkewski, financial and recording secretary; Steve Olyniuk, treasurer; Alex Suchaboki and Peter Gulka, auditors.
In December of 1951 a permit was applied for 5000 square feet of spruce logs for lumber. The logs for tlie lumber were taken from tlie south side of McBride Lake. John Woroschuk felled the trees while Mike Geletski was the trimmer. Steve Olyniuk did the skidding with his team of horses. Mike Orlowski hauled the logs to the saw mill and also hauled the lumber into Invermay. Sam Zawyruka was the foreman of the crew. Peter Shinkewski was the cook. Over 30,000 feet of lumber was cut, planed and hauled into Invermay.
Construction of the church began in the spring of 1953. The plans for the structure were drawn up by Rev. Father. 0. Pasichniak and Mike Hrywkiw. Mike Hrywkiw was also the supervisor and main contractor for the construction of the church. Ss. Vladimir & Olga Church is a rectangular wooden structure, 26 feet wide by 52 feet long, built with the traditional three domes. The three crosses on the domes were constructed by Charles McKctsy. The church has a seating capacity of 100. We also enjoy a finished full basement that is furnished and serves as a parish hall.
The church was gradually completed and improved during the succeeding years. On September 15th, 1957, His Excellency, Bishop Andrew Roborecki, D.D., blessed the church and corner stone.
Important Dates in the life of this Parish
In 1962 Holy Eucharist Parish (Kulikiw) amalgamated with Ss. Vladimir and Olga Parish at Invermay
July 23rd 1978 celebrated the 25th Anniversary of the Parish
1985, erected a metal cross
1988 Millennium Project – The erection of a Bell Tower and the installation of the bell that was once in The Bellfry at
July 18th, 1993 – Celebrated the 40th Anniversary of the Parish with His Excellency Bishop Filevich in attendance.
In the last 10 years windows were repaired and redone. A shed was built, vinyl siding and a metal roof were put on, a chain link fence with metal gates were erected.
Invermay Ss. Vladimir and Olga Cemetery
Invermay Ss. Vladimir and Olga Church
Bulletins for Canora - District Parishes
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
High Tor, Sacred Heart
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Weekes , St. Nicholas
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Glen Elder-Danbury – Holy Eucharist
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Maybridge – St. Nicholas
Swan Rivier, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Willowbrook, Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Administrator, Wynyard District
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0