Church of the Sacred Heart constructed 1963 in north-westerly Ituna; R.M. 246.
ITUNA — The church of the Sacred Heart is the second church of the parish.
The parishioners constructed the first church in 1919 on a three acre site in the north-westerly outskirts of Ituna. The church was a wooden structure with domes above two frontal towers; it was constructed under the foremanship of Semen Kowbel and artistically decorated in 1940 by Paul Zabolotny, Bishop Nicetas Budka visited the parish on several occasions and blessed the church in 1920. The church served the parish for forty-four years; in 1963 it was replaced by a new church structure. The cornerstone of the new church was blessed November 18, 1973, by Rev. Mitrat Onufrey Pasichniak, Rev. Superior Paul Maluga and Rev. Nestor Hodowany, CSSR, pastor of the parish.
The parish was honoured with many episcopal visitations. On September 26 and 27, 1921, the faithful welcomed the Servant of God Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky. In 1929 visits were made by Bishop V. Tachok, bishop of Ukrainians from Carpathian Ukraine in North America, and Bishop Constantine Bohachevsky, bishop of Ukrainians in North America. Beginning in 1930, the Archbishop of Ukrainians in Canada, Basil Ladyka came on several occasions. Beginning in 1951, the Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Ukrainians in Canada, Maxime Hermaniuk also visited the parish several times; Metropolitan Maxime Hermaniuk is the first Metropolitan from the Congregation of the Redemptorist Fathers. Also beginning in 1951, Bishop Andrew Roborecki, Bishop of Saskatoon, has visited the parish almost annually, particularly on the feastday of the church patron. The parish also hosted the Bishop Confessor Cardinal Patriarch Josyf Slipyj who celebrated Divine Liturgy in the church on July 11, 1968.
The church is a steel, concrete and brick cruciform structure on a low concrete basement measuring 143 x 73 feet with three stylistic domes; the domes are constructed of fiberglass in the form of cracked demi-spheres apexed by crosses; a large dome is located centrally above the axis of the intersecting arms, two smaller domes are above the front towers. The north and south longitudinal walls of the church contain vertical narrow stained glass windows; these extend almost to the full height of the walls. A series of small rectangular windows joined by white framing stretches horizontally across the upper wall areas. The continuity of this horizontal series is broken by five massive beams, which support the wooden ceiling and roof, reinforced . by a suitable foundation wall at the base of the church structure. The exterior beams, and the framing around the roof and windows, are painted white. This creates a very modern decorative effect on both the church and chapel which joins the church structure to the monastery.
The church is west-east oriented. Its east main entrance and vestibule are reached by low concrete steps; the vestibule has north and south exits to the church grounds and access to washrooms located at the bases of the towers. A large choir loft, seating approx. 100 persons, is situated above the vestibule and part of the nave; built-in confessionals are located beneath the south side of the choir loft and a room for parents with small children is beneath the north side. The small rectangular sanctuary with the main altar and north and south adjoining sacristies is in the west arm of the church structure; the north sacristy leads to the monastery which adjoins the church. The nave, or house of the faithful, is spacious and contains wooden pews seating approx. 600 persons on corresponding sides of the tetrapod; a raised pulpit is at its south side. The floor is covered with linoleum, the central aisle and sanctuary are carpeted. The interior ceiling is almost flat and follows the exterior contour of the roof. Originally the central area of the church was dominated by the open dome and was illuminated with sunshine; due to water seepage, the dome is now enclosed. The church contains a large church patron painting and paintings of the Holy Mother of God and Christ the Redeemer; these were done in oil on canvas by Roman Kowal (refer to color photographs). Electrical lighting, central gas heating and plumbing facilities are contained in the church structure.
The parishioners constructed the church at a cost of over $200,000 and also assisted voluntarily in various areas of the construction. The plan of the church was drafted by the architectural firm Tinos Kortes; construction was carried out under the foremanship of Wasyi (William) Buchko.
Near the church the site contains the Redemptorist Fathers’ monastery and the “Christ Who Loves Mankind” parish hall which was constructed m 1973. This is the third parish hall; the first was constructed m 1927, the second in 1936. Across the road, directly opposite the church, stands the convent of the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate and the St. Ann’s Children’s Home. The parish cemetery is a short distance from the church.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1905 predominantly from the Stryi county. The founding members of the parish were: Rev. L. Van den Bosch, CSSR, S. Krywulak, S. Pawliw, 0. Tkatch, Y. Win-nisky, Yosyf Winnisky, Jr., H. Karchut, Mykh. Mudry, M. Klimczak, Iv. Klimczak, Zborovsky, Y. Hryciw, Iv. Lozinski, N. Korchinski(y), P. Nayko, C. Zola, Berna-kewich, Iv. Wingerak, Iv. Shymko, Y. Krushelnicki (Krushelniski), A. Krushelnicki, Iv. Korinetz, M. Leon-towich, N. Lozinski, Iv. Tsikalo, T. Tkatch, Iv. Pawliw, 0. Bryksa, Loyek, D. Shabel, 0. Kowal, P. Hrycewich (Hrychewich), Shul, 0. Bryck, M. Pasechny, Yu. Moskal, K. Pshyk, Iv. Kitela, M. Duschak, L. Korchins-ki, Iv. Yu. Lozinski, and Iv. Semenovsky.
Since its beginnings, the parish has been under the pastoral charge of the Redemptorist Fathers. The first holy services were held in private homes and, from 1915 to the construction of the church, in a local hotel which stood vacant. Initially the Redemptorist Fathers commuted from Yorkton. In 1919 through the efforts of Rev. Achille Delaere. the Redemptorist Fathers constructed their first home in Ituna and began residing there. In 1949-1950, during the pastorate of the Rev. Provincial Maxime Hermaniuk and Rev. Superior Dmytro Hawryliuk, a new spacious monastery-home was constructed which, to present date, became the Redemptorist Fathers’ permanent residence. In 1954 through the efforts of Rev. Superior Stephen Bach-talowsky an iconostas was installed in the monastery chapel (refer to Chapels).
The Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate arrived in Ituna in 1920. They immediately established a day school and orphanage. In 1938 with the leadership of Rev. John Bala and the assistance of the faithful, the Sisters constructed the combined Convent and St. Ann’s Children’s Home which for many years also served as an elementary school. With the arrival of the Redemptorist Fathers and Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate, the religious and educational life of the faithful was strengthened as indicated by the large number of participants at parish celebrations; the feastday of the church patron annually drew approx. two thousand faithful while on July 8-15, 1951, Rev. Missionary Gregory Shyshkowych directed an impressive Holy Mission for the parish and district. The parish was blessed with many vocations. Rev. Basil Orusky originated from this parish as did the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate: Sr. Mary Nicholas Fedor, Sr. Dorothy Sophie Korchynsky, Sr. Justine Adrianne Kowal and Sr. Metrophane Anne Uchach.
The parish was founded in 1919 by 42 families, in 1941 there were 88 member families with 350 children (Prop. Knyha); in 1961 there were 625 souls (Directory), in 1967, 210 families (questionnaire) and in 1975, 240 families were accounted for. In 1976 the parish was under directorship of: Rev. Superior Simeon Ivanochko,
CSSR, pastor, Cecil Krywulak, Edward Krushen, Mary Wingerak, Harry Holowatiuk, Olena (Emma) Parno and Leona Krywulak.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Sacred Heart, Ituna, is the seat of the Ituna pastoral district with satellite parishes at: Benkenham, Stanyslavtsi, Birmingham, Goodeve, Goodeve farms, Fenwood, Hub-bard, Hubbard farms, Doroshi, Jasmin, Kelliher, Kel-liher farms, Balcarres, Lipton and, earlier, Stornoway. Pastors for the district are the Redemptorist Fathers:
Rev. Gregory Shyshkowych, Rev. Peter Staciak and Rev. Simeon Ivanochko, Superior.
Ituna Sacred Heart Church
Ituna Sacred Heart Cemetery
Ituna and Wynyard District Bulletins
Yorkton Protopresbyterate (Deanery)
Telephone: (Res) 306-563-5148
Buchach, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Buchanan, Holy Spirit
Chekhiv, Descent of the Holy Ghost
Dobrowody, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Hazel Dell, Ss. Peter & Paul
Hryhoriv, St. Demetrius
Hudson Bay, Holy Eucharist
Invermay, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Kovalivka (Tiny), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kyziv-Tiaziv, St. Demetrius
Rama, Ss. Peter & Paul
Vasyliw (Wasyliw), Ss. Constantine and Helena
Kamsack, St. Josaphat
(Res)119 Nicholas Street,
Box 1628, Kamsack, SK S0A 1S0
Arran-Vesna, Ss. Peter and Paul
Benito, MB, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Bobulynci, Transfiguration of Our Lord
Dnipro (Dnieper), Transfiguration of Our Lord
Kuroki, Ss. Peter & Paul
Madge Lake-St. Michael’s Camp – Holy Eucharist
Swan River, MB, Ascension of Our Lord
Insinger Farms, Ss. Peter & Paul
Jedburgh Village, Ss. Peter and Paul
Plain View, Descent of the Holy Spirit
Whitesand, Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Wroxton-Farms, Ss. Vladimir and Olga
Malowany, Rev. Basil
Administrator Ituna and Wynyard Districts
Ituna, Sacred Heart
(Res) Box 340,
Ituna, SK S0A 1N0
Telephone: 306-795-2411; Cell: 306-540-5102
Bedfordville (Stanyslavstsi), St. Nicholas
Fenwood, Ss. Peter & Paul
Goodeve Farm, Holy Trinity
Goodeve Town, St. Michael
Hubbard, Holy Spirit
Hubbard Town, Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Kelliher, St. Vladimir the Great
Kelliher, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Melville, St. George