Church of the Immaculate Conception constructed 1950, 10 miles north-west of Ituna; R.M. 246.
JASMIN (farms) — The church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the second church of the parish.
The parishioners constructed the first church in 1909 on a five acre partially forested prairie site ten miles north-west of Ituna. Land for the combined church and cemetery site was donated by Stefan Dorosh. The church had a large central octagonal roof, imitating a dome, which was apexed by a cupola and cross; its interior contained an iconostas. It was blessed by Bishop Nicetas Budka on August 18, 1913 and served the parish for forty years. When the parish expanded the church was dismantled and on its site a new church was constructed in 1950.
The present church is a cruciform wooden structure, 52 x 32 feet, with a large central dome and two cupolas above the frontal towers. All domes are covered with white sheet metal, the roof is shingled while the exterior walls have imitation brick asphalt siding. The church is east-west oriented with an east elevated sanctuary with the main altar and two adjoining sacristies, a choir loft extends over the west end of the nave. Along the lateral walls of the cruciform nave, on corresponding sides of the sanctuary, are two side altars dedicated to The Mother of God and Christ the Redeemer. The interior ceiling is vaulted and extends into a large central dome which is illuminated by four windows. Wooden pews in the nave provide seating for approx. 100 persons Candles are used for lighting and central heating is with coal. The main entrance into the church is through an adjoining porch-vestibule with a vaulted roof.
The parishioners constructed the church (total costs $22,000) through their private donations and voluntary labour under the foremanship of Peter Sembalerus. Rev. John Syrota, CSSR, celebrated the first Divine Liturgy in the church on August 28, 1950, and on July 5, 1959, the church was blessed by Bishop Andrew Ro-borecki.
At one time the church grounds contained a belfry with a bell purchased in 1910 for $400. The belfry has deteriorated with time while the bell, for the time being, is preserved on a stand near the church. The parish hall which was constructed on the site during the First World War and named “The National Home of the Immaculate Conception Parish” was sold in 1934.
Ukrainian settlement in this area began in 1905 with settlers from the Yavoriv county. In 1910 during the construction of the first church parish, the parish consisted of 30 families who paid a yearly membership fee of $3.00. In 1941 the parish registered 40 families (Prop. Knyha), in 1961, 95 souls (Directory) and in 1975, only 5 families remained who consequently joined the Ituna parish.
The Jasmin parish is often referred to as “Ituna-Doroshi” after Dorosh who donated the site.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Jasmin (farms), is under the pastoral charge of Ituna.