Church of the Holy Apostles SS. Peter and Paul constructed 1948 in Jedburgh; R.M. 245.
JEDBURGH — The church of SS. Peter and Paul is the first church of the parish.
The church was constructed in 1948 on a level and partly forested two acre site in Jedburgh. It was blessed by Bishop Andrew Roborecki on June 25, 1961.
The wood constructed cruciform structure, 60 x 40 feet, stands on a high concrete basement, has imitation brick asphalt siding and an architecturally complementing shingled gable roof. A small cupola projects above the frontal summit of the gable roof; additional cupolas apex the two frontal towers on corresponding sides of the main entrance. The interior of the church is finished with donnacona and contains a rectangular sanctuary with the main altar and two adjoining sacristies. The choir loft above the vestibule, directly opposite the main altar, is reached by a stairway originating in the nave. The entire cruciform interior is dominated by a vaulted ceiling which is slightly domed above the central axis of the intersecting arms.
In 1955 the church was artistically decorated with murals by Paul Zabolotny; presently, three paintings and some ornamentation have been preserved of this artist’s work. The church contains wooden pews seating approx. 100 persons, has electricity and central oil heating.
The architectural plans of the church were designed by Dmytro Sereda and Harry Shalley who also acted as foremen Of the parish volunteers during the construction. Construction costs, not including voluntary labour, totalled $12,000; the church site was donated by Semen Zastrizhny.
Near the church stands a cross commemorating the Holy Mission of 1956; a tall metal post bell tower is also found near the church. The one acre parish cemetery site is one-half mile west of the church.
The first Ukrainian settlers in this area arrived in 1905 from the villages of Liashky and Makovys’ka in the Jaroslaw county. The. parish had twelve founding members. Under the leadership of Rev. Roman Cho-miak, CSSR, the first parish meeting was held on May 19, 1940, at the home of P. Senchuk. Resultant of this meeting was the first parish executive consisting of: M. Lazorko, P. Humeniuk, Iv. Khrynyk (Chrunik), Boyarski and Iv. Popowich. The first Divine Liturgy of the parish was celebrated by Rev. R. Chomiak, CSSR, on June 17, 1940 at the home of I. Chrunik. In November 1940 the parishioners purchased a store from Sereda in Jedburgh and altered it into the Reading Room, Prosvita; this structure was used for holy services . until the construction of the church.
In 1955 the parish consisted of 30 families (Jubilee Book), in 1961 there were 100 souls (Directory), in 1967, 75 souls (questionnaire) and in 1975, 12 families were registered to the parish. In 1976 the parish was under the directorship of: Redemptorist Fathers, pastors, John Mushka, Zenia Wrishko, Anne Sereda and Stanley Wloch.
The Ukrainian Catholic parish of SS. Peter and Paul at Jedburgh is under the pastoral charge of Yorkton.